Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 30, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #12,286 of 15,987
Do you have 2.2.5 8901 Jul as I did, or do you have 2.2.6 8909 Oct as the Release Notes screenshot shows should have gotten installed?

Repeat request: anybody running 2.00 firmware with the old APM89L hardware, what is your version for APM? Is it 2.2.5, or 2.2.6?
Yes, I have the ”old” I would say original hardware in my A16.
I have no problems and no red screens. I remember that I also had a different APM number as @sander99 was asking me about.
Update: I have on my A16 after update to the 2.00 firmware
APM v2.2.5 8901
and not
APM v2.2.6 8909 like in the release notes.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #12,287 of 15,987
I've found a workaround the limitations relating to the A16's lack of a web gui. Obviously if you're in the Apple un iverse, the Centro Control Center App may partially fill the gap, but currently it only supports the Headphone rendering and Av modes of operation while not helping with things like PRIRs and HPEQs.

My workaround is two fold. It consists of

(1) The Hue HD Document camera. This is a digital document camera with a very short focal length which is capable, because of its gooseneck mounting, of being placed directly in front of the operating screen of the A16 and sending via usb a continuous image of whatever is on the screen of the A16 to your PC. It's $89.95 on Amazon.

(2) Google Remote Desktop. It's freeware you install on both your phone and your PC, and it mirrors whatever is on your Window's PC desktop to your phone's screen.

Taken together, these two tools allow you to mirror of whatever is on the screen of the A16 to your phone's screen. Should greatly help with operations like making PRIRs, particularly if you are using something like the Audio Hobbit method, and are rotating your body to different azimuths around the room, and, as a result , turning your back is the the A16 for many of the measurements. In those cases, you would not only have the tone, but also a visual aid when working through the head rotation angles. You will also be able to verify in real time that recording levels are staying in the green when making the PRIR.

Using a tool like this should make taking PRIRs much easier and less mistake prone,.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #12,289 of 15,987
Gilles Gérin sent an email this morning to customers.
The A16 will be exhibited at the Paris Audio Video show on October, 23rd and 24th. It will be possible to try it in the classic way with Atmos and DTS:X sources, but Gilles mentions a world premiere in a second demo room. He says "the only clue i can give right now without spoiling the surprise is that it will be impressive Atmos and DTS:X, but this time for more than 2 peoples simultaneously... And without cables everywhere !"
Will they provide a solution similar to the device (i can't remember the name) that some wanted to combine the A16 with in order to use it without headphones ?
I'm curious to see what they will show (unfortunately, i will not make it to Paris on that week-end)...
Le Realiser A16 sera en écoute et démonstration au Paris Audio Video Show le week-end du 23 et 24 octobre prochain dans une double démonstration ; la première, naturellement au casque, se fera avec des sources Dolby Atmos et DTS:X. Vous pourrez apprécier et jauger de vous-même la qualité et la dimension de la scène sonore qu'il établit (jusqu'à 24 canaux) sans équivalent avec ce qui se fait ailleurs au casque...

Mais par ailleurs, en 1ère mondiale, vous découvrirez une mise en oeuvre du SMYTH Realiser A16 totalement inédite dans une seconde zone de démonstration : la salle Vosges. Tout ce que je peux partager présentement comme indice pour ménager la surprise, c'est que ça sera du Dolby Atmos (et DTS:X) impressionnant, mais cette fois pour plus de 2 personnes simultanément (oui, car le A16 embarque 2 sorties casques)... Et sans fils de partout !

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #12,290 of 15,987
Will they provide a solution similar to the device (i can't remember the name) that some wanted to combine the A16 with in order to use it without headphones ?
I can not read french but do they really say without headphones? Or just without cables everywhere? Without cables then I would think wireless headphones with wireless headtracker and/or asynchronous PRIR measurement (so the A16 would not need to be connected to the system they measurement).
More than 2 people: maybe they have more than 1 Realiser?
Also asynchronous PRIR measurements could be done with several people at once, provided there is one Realiser for each person, and of course then they can not all sit in the sweetspot. Just play the special signals over the speakers and each Realiser can sync to those signals simultaniously.

You where thinking Y***A (the word I shouldn't mention)?

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #12,291 of 15,987
This is the Google Translator version...

You who follow the news of the Dolby Atmos Home Cinema amplifier for SMYTH Realiser A16 headphones, I have news that should interest you:
The Realiser A16 will be listened to and demonstrated at the Paris Audio Video Show on the weekend of the 28 and October 29 in a double demonstration; the first, naturally with headphones, will be done with Dolby Atmos and DTS: X sources. You will be able to appreciate and gauge for yourself the quality and the dimension of the soundstage that it establishes (up to 24 channels) unparalleled with what is done elsewhere with headphones ...
But in addition, in the 1st world, you will discover a completely new implementation of the SMYTH Realiser A16 in a second demonstration area: the Vosges room. All I can share now as a clue to spare the surprise is that it will be impressive Dolby Atmos (and DTS: X), but this time for more than 2 people simultaneously (yes, because the A16 has 2 headphone outputs. ) ... And without wires everywhere!
It will be to discover face-to-face here: https://www.parisaudiovideoshow.com/ To review while waiting for the very many current possibilities with the SMYTH Realize A16 headphones (before this mysterious revelation ...), it is here: https: //smyth-realiser.fr/ Hoping to have the pleasure of meeting you there to share these experiences.

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #12,292 of 15,987
It seems that Gilles Gerin’s message has two parts. The latter refers to the Realiser A16 demonstration at the Paris Audio Video Show on the weekend of the 28 and October 29. I think that the first part of the message is more interesting: “……the Realiser A16 has finally passed (and passed ...) its DTS certification. Suddenly, the function will arrive very soon. I know it’s eagerly awaited (especially if you have a Zappiti type reader); Here we are finally reaching the end! Be careful, as with any software update (and this is a big one), you will have to redo the virtual rooms, and even create the rooms for DTS streams. I am preparing an update of the French manual on this subject. Of course, I'll let you know as soon as everything is ready.”

Source: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180769281.html#p180769281

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #12,293 of 15,987
......You where thinking Y***A (the word I shouldn't mention)?
I don’t think it’s Yarra 3DX. That device as it has been designed by Peter Otto and his team could’ve worked as “headphones” for a Realiser (either A8 or A16). However, the failure of the project managed by Comhear made the interest in Yarra 3DX disappear practically.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #12,295 of 15,987
The clue makes me think about some wireless solution for X users, not one without headphone.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #12,296 of 15,987
It seems that Gilles Gerin’s message has two parts. The latter refers to the Realiser A16 demonstration at the Paris Audio Video Show on the weekend of the 28 and October 29. I think that the first part of the message is more interesting: “……the Realiser A16 has finally passed (and passed ...) its DTS certification. Suddenly, the function will arrive very soon. I know it’s eagerly awaited (especially if you have a Zappiti type reader); Here we are finally reaching the end! Be careful, as with any software update (and this is a big one), you will have to redo the virtual rooms, and even create the rooms for DTS streams. I am preparing an update of the French manual on this subject. Of course, I'll let you know as soon as everything is ready.”

Source: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180769281.html#p180769281
Although I certainly welcome the long awaited addition of DTS-X, we can’t be reaching the end without Auro 3D. I mean, promises were made. 🙄

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #12,298 of 15,987
I can not read french but do they really say without headphones? Or just without cables everywhere? Without cables then I would think wireless headphones with wireless headtracker and/or asynchronous PRIR measurement (so the A16 would not need to be connected to the system they measurement).
More than 2 people: maybe they have more than 1 Realiser?
Also asynchronous PRIR measurements could be done with several people at once, provided there is one Realiser for each person, and of course then they can not all sit in the sweetspot. Just play the special signals over the speakers and each Realiser can sync to those signals simultaniously.

You where thinking Y***A (the word I shouldn't mention)?
Gilles doesn't mention "without headphones", he just says "without cables everywhere". Indeed, Yarra was what i was thinking about, but i have no idea if it's something similar they will propose, probably not when i think about it. I just wonder how they will be able to make it work for more than two people simultaneously...

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #12,299 of 15,987
This request is for some of you in Europe and are on the French Site... Giles is working on an edit for the French version of the operators manual... is there a way that some one could send me a copy once its updated by Giles so I can convert it to English..... I'd get it from Giles myself but have never been able to log onto his site(s) ..... thanks

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #12,300 of 15,987
This request is for some of you in Europe and are on the French Site... Giles is working on an edit for the French version of the operators manual... is there a way that some one could send me a copy once its updated by Giles so I can convert it to English..... I'd get it from Giles myself but have never been able to log onto his site(s) ..... thanks
Be careful, that French version of the user manual might be under copyright. Unless you get Gilles Gerin’s agreement for the English translation, don’t do it and don’t post it here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back