Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #12,316 of 15,985
It’s good you’re one happy camper. It seems that Club Realiser is somewhat Realiser Exchange à la française, isn’t it?
True enough. Especially when compared to the, so far, non existent Smyth Research Realiser Exchange. Of course, the main issue here is whether or not anything from this extensive lists of PRIRs suits your personal anatomy. As we all know, the universe skews towards entropy.

Oct 5, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #12,317 of 15,985
Any ideas how to get the A16 to play 48, 96 or 192. Is there a trick`
I guess all of you with A16's already knew this but it was a surprise to me - as of Firmware 2.03 the SPDIF inputs still won't lock onto signals greater than 48x24.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #12,318 of 15,985
I put my money down yesterday for a one year subscription to Club Realiser. I've yet to spend time with the various specials available to subscribers but I would say that it's definitely worth the money, for me at least(as usual, your YMMV and everybody's financial situation is not the same). I need to have the manual translated but it already looks extensive, plus there are some 40 plus PRIRs(most of them captured by Gilles himself), with written explanations for each. Add in the capture videos plus one year of emailed updates and it looks like a pretty sweet deal overall. I'm also curious/excited/anxious to see what Gilles might be throwing in after the Paris Show later this month. Anyway, I'm one happy camper.
Don't forget that you also get access to the Atmos encoded asynchronous capture files, so it gets easier to extend you Club Realiser membership by uploading an exclusive PRIR - aside from capturing a home theater for your own use, of course.

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #12,319 of 15,985
I guess all of you with A16's already knew this but it was a surprise to me - as of Firmware 2.03 the SPDIF inputs still won't lock onto signals greater than 48x24.

In some previous recent posts I saw screenshots or mention of Firmware 2.01, and then 2.03. Online the Smyth download page still shows 2.00 from June 2021 as the the latest version. If there is some other way go get more recent installers, I'd like to learn about it.

Also, I did ship my A16 back to Bangor just last Friday afternoon. Fedex International Economy, and because I have a Fedex account (which gives a general 20% discount on all shipping) I am also entitled to make use of the special "Fedex Great Rates Hotline" (separate Fedex phone number, not the main Fedex phone number). The rate quotes from "Great Rates Hotline" gave me another 87% discount (don't ask me how or why they offer this). So in the end it cost me $86 for my outer carton sized 23" x 17" x 12" (I had a smaller carton inside, to double-box the A16). The entire pacakge only weighed 10lbs. but they charge by a "volume/weight" formula based on (L x W x H / 139) to produce a "virtual weight". However they figure it with my account discount and Great Rates Hotline discount it came to $86.

Shipped Friday afternoon. Arrived in the country (presumably at Customs) yesterday. Cleared processing and was out for delivery and delivered to their door for signature TODAY (Tuesday) at noon!! 4 days, door-to-door, for $86. I recommend going with this Fedex method to others here in the US needing to ship international. I had a similar story a few years back when sending my Stax SR-009 back to the factory in Japan for repair. Again, about $100, and delivery to their door in 6 calendar days (5 elapsed physical days, plus adding 1 day for international date change).

I've asked James if the hardware parts needed to to APM hardware upgrade from 16-ch to 24-ch are in-stock, and if so what would be my cost to get it done at the same time as (a) he's repairing the red screen Error 002 problem with what he says is "a simple and quick soldering job", and (b) he's presumably going to flash my A16 with the latest firmware (maybe 2.03 probably, or perhaps even newer and maybe with DTS??).

Still waiting for a reply, or even acknowledgement that they'd received (and signed for) my A16 earlier today and that they would begin the repair promptly in order to get it back to me as soon as possible. Also still waiting since last week for a reply on my "Request for Price Quote" on the APM hardware upgrade cost, if even possible right now. I'm not going to wait for months for parts to eventually maybe appear for this optional work, as I can live with 16-ch. But if 24-ch were available right now I'd go for it.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #12,320 of 15,985
I wouldn't be so worried that the A16 “won’t lock onto signals greater than 48x24”. Below is an excerpt from a post by Dr Mark Waldrep, aka Dr AIX.

“Qobuz, TIDAL, Deezer, Amazon Music HD, Apple Music, and now Spotify Hi-Fi are delivering standard-resolution audio NOT HD! And it’s OK because no one can tell the difference anyway — remember the HD-Audio Challenge II. Just because they label it HD doesn’t make it so. Amazon Music HD shifted all CD-spec audio to their HD category. Why? Because they want us to think it’s better.

The fidelity of any audio reproduction is established at the time of the original recording and the master is delivered to the label NOT by the platform that ultimately delivers it to you. They can only make it worse. Sure, TIDAL, Apple and the others want us to believe we’re at the dawn of a new listening experience a high-resolution experience, but it’s all marketing nonsense. A well made recording at Red Book specification can sound astounding and is sufficient to meet even the most discerning audiophile. Just think of all of the bandwidth and storage we’re saving.

Avoid MQA, DXD, DSD and stick with good old PCM. It’s been the standard in the industry since the 70s and will continue to outclass all of the newcomers.”

https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=7241

Oct 7, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #12,321 of 15,985
I wonder whether the unofficially announced firmware update might be available before the Paris Audio Video Show on 23-24 October 2021. Presumably, Smyth Research will want to unveil the new capabilities of the Realiser A16 in Paris and then extend the firmware update to owners of the A16. Some time ago (end of December 2020), there was an announcement posted here that Smyth Research must charge a fee (about 200 USD) for DTS:X. It remains to be seen whether or not that fee will be asked.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #12,322 of 15,985
Here's the story of my A16 getting returned to Smyth for repair, specifically to fix the "red screen Error 002" problem which they'd said was a "simple soldering job". I also availed myself of all the optional upgrades James offered.

(1) Clearly it must have been a very quick and simple repair job, because the A16 has just today now been tendered to UPS in Bangor and is scheduled for delivery back in my hands this coming Monday Oct 11. I paid Fedex shipping from LA to Bangor ($86 as previously noted) and Smyth paid UPS shipping back to me.

Truly an amazing record-setting international journey in this semi-post-covid time, since I shipped it from LA to Bangor on Friday afternoon Oct 1. Arrived at their door Tuesday Oct 5 at noon, was repaired/upgraded by Wednesday Oct 6, and shipped back to me today Thursday Oct 7, scheduled to arrive at my door on Monday Oct 11.

(2) I had asked if the original APM-upgrade to support 24-channels was still available, separate from the HDMI upgrade for eARC which I had no interest in, as was the original offer last year. I also asked about the recent information indicating that a brand new A16 had arrived with firmware 2.03 preinstalled, and also the hints that "something big and special" was going to be revealed at the Paris audio show October 28-29 suggesting possible big news about DTS certification. His response was as follows:

"Regarding the upgrade, unfortunately we can't do the 24 channel separate to the HDMI, This was originally offered but there wasn't enough demand so we didn't proceed with that method. You will receive the latest 2.04 firmware which has the DTS code embedded. Though DTS will not be enabled until we release it officially. More details will follow. If you confirm and pay ASAP we could have your unit fixed and upgraded ready to be shipped tomorrow.
Let me know if you want the upgrade, the cost is $500 plus VAT if applicable. Payment can be made via bank transfer or PayPal, all PayPal fees must be paid by you the buyer."

(3) I decided to go ahead and authorized him to perform the full upgrade, including BOTH (a) the APM110 hardware providing 24-channels, as well as (b) the HSR41T HDMI hardware providing eARC, at the price he proposed.

(4) A bit later, James sent me a second email with the following additional information:

"We could also add DTS X to your unit for $199 as that is the price we will be charging, and you would be the first to have it on a A16 unit. Let me know ASAP."

(5) Once again, I did not hesitate for a moment and immediately authorized him to do whatever was required to apply/activate the DTS X functionality in the new 2.04 firmware to be resident in my A16 when returned.

(6) I also asked him if I could share any or all of this information especially regarding DTS with the A16 community here on Head-Fi. He said I could share the following information:

"You can share the following information.
(a) DTS X upgrade has recently been certified by DTS.
(b) The upgrade will be available imminently
(c) The upgrade will be accessible via download and will not require the customer to return their A16 unit.
(d) Price is $199 + taxes where applicable"

(7) I received a PayPal invoice for a total price of $800.41, which included $699 for the newly purchased hardware and DTS:X fee, $66.41 sales tax (9.5%), and $35 PayPal fee.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #12,323 of 15,985
It seems that Gilles Gerin’s message has two parts. The latter refers to the Realiser A16 demonstration at the Paris Audio Video Show on the weekend of the 28 and October 29. I think that the first part of the message is more interesting: “……the Realiser A16 has finally passed (and passed ...) its DTS certification. Suddenly, the function will arrive very soon. I know it’s eagerly awaited (especially if you have a Zappiti type reader); Here we are finally reaching the end! Be careful, as with any software update (and this is a big one), you will have to redo the virtual rooms, and even create the rooms for DTS streams. I am preparing an update of the French manual on this subject. Of course, I'll let you know as soon as everything is ready.”

Source: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180769281.html#p180769281
@GeorgeA's post(boldface type is my doing) led me to do a little research into Zappiti. Their previous moderate priced media players are soon to be joined by higher priced/higher end products such as the Zappiti Reference($1599) and Zappiti Signature($2999). Neither product has been released into the wild but they are both currently available for pre-orders. I don't know how soon those pre-orders will be shipping but my larger issue here is that neither product has been formally reviewed in print or online media (or in forums, for that matter).

I've also done a little quick online research into Zidoo( https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/allProduct.html) and Dune HD(https://www.dune-hd.com/collections/frontpage), which appear to be the main head to head competitors for the Zappiti units have for the Zappiti Reference. I could not find a review of the Dune HD Ultra Vision 4K unit which lists for $1499.00. Here is a link to an extensive review of the $1399 flagship Zidoo UHD3000: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/practical-experiences-using-the-uhd3000.86061/

Yes, the price of entry is steep and my post is no endorsement of Zappiti, however, the descriptions and specs are impressive, and previous Zappiti media players have been well reviewed. Also, the Zappiti Reference is competitively priced with the Zidoo and Dune HD flagships, for people that amount of coin to spend. What I'm wondering is whether the new Zappiti, Zidoo or Dune HD media players might be the gold standards for linking audio and video media of virtually every variety for playback through an A16 and HDTV or 4K computer. They also purport to play multichannel SACD and DSD files via HDMI. Of note, the units have separate HDMI outputs for audio and video. Further, for the Zappiti products, you can purchase separately a pair of internal hard drives to be inserted into either, giving you up to 40 Tb of media storage(and/or you could set things up such that the players access media already stored on an NAS).

Certainly, though the Zappitis, like some OPPO devices, are DTS-X and Auro 3D capable, we would still have to wait for Smyth Research to implement Auro 3D and DTS-X in the A16. Nonetheless, on paper the Zappiti products are intriguing, particularly for any A16 owners with the financial capacity AND personal interest in spending such sums of money. With the caveat that the following is not a prediction and also certainly not a statement of fact, I, for one, would not be the least bit surprised if Gilles had Zappiti, Zidoo or Dune HD units(pre-release prototypes?) in his system(s) when he presented this month in Paris.

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #12,324 of 15,985
Here's the story of my A16 getting returned to Smyth for repair.............................................

(6) I also asked him if I could share any or all of this information especially regarding DTS with the A16 community here on Head-Fi. He said I could share the following information:

"You can share the following information.
(a) DTS X upgrade has recently been certified by DTS.
(b) The upgrade will be available imminently
(c) The upgrade will be accessible via download and will not require the customer to return their A16 unit.
(d) Price is $199 + taxes where applicable"
I’m glad you’ll get your Realiser A16 unit without the dreadful red screen Error 002 and with the full hardware upgrade. Thanks for the information about DTS:X upgrade. I’m not quite happy about the money to be spent for that.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #12,325 of 15,985
Be careful, that French version of the user manual might be under copyright. Unless you get Gilles Gerin’s agreement for the English translation, don’t do it and don’t post it here.
You can log onto his site but you need to pay for a Club Realiser subscription and then register to obtain access to any his exclusive material. Of note, registering requires you to include the serial number for your A16, effectively ruling out anybody without access to/ownership of an A16.

I am using Google Translate to go through the slow process of obtaining a (probably less than perfect) English translation of the manual. This is for my own use, and not to be shared with anyone else, per Club Realiser rules.

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #12,326 of 15,985

I've also done a little quick online research into Zidoo( https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/allProduct.html) and Dune HD(https://www.dune-hd.com/collections/frontpage), which appear to be the main head to head competitors for the Zappiti units have for the Zappiti Reference. ...............
There might be cheaper alternative to Zidoo and Zappiti players. Read at the following link. The text is in Spanish and English.
https://www.avpasion.com/foro/t/com...eproductores-clon-oppo-203-205-chinoppo.2469/

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #12,327 of 15,985
@GeorgeA's post(boldface type is my doing) led me to do a little research into Zappiti. Their previous moderate priced media players are soon to be joined by higher priced/higher end products such as the Zappiti Reference($1599) and Zappiti Signature($2999). Neither product has been released into the wild but they are both currently available for pre-orders. I don't know how soon those pre-orders will be shipping but my larger issue here is that neither product has been formally reviewed in print or online media (or in forums, for that matter).

I've also done a little quick online research into Zidoo( https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/allProduct.html) and Dune HD(https://www.dune-hd.com/collections/frontpage), which appear to be the main head to head competitors for the Zappiti units have for the Zappiti Reference. I could not find a review of the Dune HD Ultra Vision 4K unit which lists for $1499.00. Here is a link to an extensive review of the $1399 flagship Zidoo UHD3000: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/practical-experiences-using-the-uhd3000.86061/

Yes, the price of entry is steep and my post is no endorsement of Zappiti, however, the descriptions and specs are impressive, and previous Zappiti media players have been well reviewed. Also, the Zappiti Reference is competitively priced with the Zidoo and Dune HD flagships, for people that amount of coin to spend. What I'm wondering is whether the new Zappiti, Zidoo or Dune HD media players might be the gold standards for linking audio and video media of virtually every variety for playback through an A16 and HDTV or 4K computer. They also purport to play multichannel SACD and DSD files via HDMI. Of note, the units have separate HDMI outputs for audio and video. Further, for the Zappiti products, you can purchase separately a pair of internal hard drives to be inserted into either, giving you up to 40 Tb of media storage(and/or you could set things up such that the players access media already stored on an NAS).

Certainly, though the Zappitis, like some OPPO devices, are DTS-X and Auro 3D capable, we would still have to wait for Smyth Research to implement Auro 3D and DTS-X in the A16. Nonetheless, on paper the Zappiti products are intriguing, particularly for any A16 owners with the financial capacity AND personal interest in spending such sums of money. With the caveat that the following is not a prediction and also certainly not a statement of fact, I, for one, would not be the least bit surprised if Gilles had Zappiti, Zidoo or Dune HD units(pre-release prototypes?) in his system(s) when he presented this month in Paris.
I have a Zidoo Z9X and I really like it. Been able to play everything I’ve thrown at it, but I’ve only used it for movies not any sort of music files.

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #12,328 of 15,985
(7) I received a PayPal invoice for a total price of $800.41, which included $699 for the newly purchased hardware and DTS:X fee, $66.41 sales tax (9.5%), and $35 PayPal fee.
Others who returned A16's for upgrades got stuck with high import duty and had a hard time getting them refunded - was there some magic you did to avoid them?

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #12,329 of 15,985
I have a Zidoo Z9X and I really like it. Been able to play everything I’ve thrown at it, but I’ve only used it for movies not any sort of music files.
I’m glad to hear that the Zidoo Z9X is working great for you. Unlike most people here, however, I purchased the A16 primarily for listening to music in surround (I have amassed an extensive library of anything from 3 channel to DTS Atmos, and in formats ranging from FLAC to DSD rips). Being an outlier can be expensive!

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #12,330 of 15,985
Others who returned A16's for upgrades got stuck with high import duty and had a hard time getting them refunded - was there some magic you did to avoid them?
How much was the DTS-X fee by itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back