Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 3, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #12,305 of 15,987
good point... thanks I need to ask Giles and see if he'll let us use it...
Can't hurt to ask, though for what i know, he specifically asks his customers not to share the files he provides them with, not even the french instructions manuel.
At least that's what people from the french forum who bought the A16 through him all report.

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #12,306 of 15,987
I would bet the Giles is talking about wireless head tracking.
The single worst decision they made with the product IMHO was wired head tracking. I would leap at the opportunity to purchase a couple of wireless un its.

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #12,307 of 15,987
Can't hurt to ask, though for what i know, he specifically asks his customers not to share the files he provides them with, not even the french instructions manuel.
At least that's what people from the french forum who bought the A16 through him all report.
And all fair I feel, he’s worked hard on french translation and getting latest news (like this time really, this is the biggest piece of news in a year it feels!).

He does that as part of the service for his customers. In particular, one could initially purchase an A-16 cheaper than his fee when pre-ordering directly from the kickstarter page with worldwide delivery. He was a bit more expensive (can’t do all this for free obviously) but I’d say he’s by far the best vendor out there for the A-16 :).

arnaud

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #12,308 of 15,987
Of course, Auro 3D is important, but it would be just as important that all backers and pre-orders receive their Realiser A16 units.
Although I 100% agree with you, I didn't include it in my previous post because fulfilling those outstanding orders is not Gilles's responsibility. It is, however, incorrect for Gilles to say that we are "reaching the end" of, I assume, the software development without taking Auro 3D into account. For that matter, the Realiser Exchange is another promise yet to be kept to all of the people who have supported the A16.

I also don't see how Gilles can have the software/firmware for DTS-X unless Smyth Research has already completed DTS-X certification. Further, I would be in no way surprised to hear that Smyth Research had reached that milestone without telling their larger customer base. We all know that communication is not their strong suit.

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #12,309 of 15,987
And all fair I feel, he’s worked hard on french translation and getting latest news (like this time really, this is the biggest piece of news in a year it feels!).

He does that as part of the service for his customers. In particular, one could initially purchase an A-16 cheaper than his fee when pre-ordering directly from the kickstarter page with worldwide delivery. He was a bit more expensive (can’t do all this for free obviously) but I’d say he’s by far the best vendor out there for the A-16 :).

arnaud
How much more expensive is Gilles than paying the full price when ordering directly from Smyth Research? I ask this because, if the difference in price is small enough, one could perhaps be better off ordering from Gilles. What equals a "small enough" difference would, of course, be up to individual buyer.

Oct 4, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #12,310 of 15,987
How much more expensive is Gilles than paying the full price when ordering directly from Smyth Research? I ask this because, if the difference in price is small enough, one could perhaps be better off ordering from Gilles. What equals a "small enough" difference would, of course, be up to individual buyer.

A few hundred dollars it seems (totally worthy in retrospect it seems):
https://av-in.com/collections/smyth-realiser

Oct 4, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #12,311 of 15,987
Gilles is very customer focused. It's great for all who ordered from him. I know this only from what I observed. Mine was from another dealer.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #12,312 of 15,987
Even if most of us didn’t buy our Realiser A16 units from av-in.com, we are still lucky that only through the messages sent by Gilles Gerin can we find out news from Smyth Research. I can understand Smyth Research made an inaccurate financial assessment for their kickstarter campaign in 2016, that they faced various other shortcomings, however it’s difficult to accept that they cannot write some brief information from time to time.

Oct 4, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #12,313 of 15,987
I received an email from Giles last night... so if you purchase an A16 from him you get the manual/sweeps and 1yr in the club with recorded rooms...or you sign up for club access for the cost of 100 euro/yr - not bad for what you get...

Hi Dixter,
The user manual is for French buyers or active members of the Club Realiser (paid subscription), with access to exclusive PRIR and Async Files.
https://av-in.com/collections/accessoires-dorigine/products/acces-1-an-au-club-realiser
It is a French original document, not made from the English one.
BR

Oct 5, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #12,314 of 15,987
I received an email from Giles last night... so if you purchase an A16 from him you get the manual/sweeps and 1yr in the club with recorded rooms...or you sign up for club access for the cost of 100 euro/yr - not bad for what you get...

Hi Dixter,
The user manual is for French buyers or active members of the Club Realiser (paid subscription), with access to exclusive PRIR and Async Files.
https://av-in.com/collections/accessoires-dorigine/products/acces-1-an-au-club-realiser
It is a French original document, not made from the English one.
BR
I put my money down yesterday for a one year subscription to Club Realiser. I've yet to spend time with the various specials available to subscribers but I would say that it's definitely worth the money, for me at least(as usual, your YMMV and everybody's financial situation is not the same). I need to have the manual translated but it already looks extensive, plus there are some 40 plus PRIRs(most of them captured by Gilles himself), with written explanations for each. Add in the capture videos plus one year of emailed updates and it looks like a pretty sweet deal overall. I'm also curious/excited/anxious to see what Gilles might be throwing in after the Paris Show later this month. Anyway, I'm one happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back