Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 30, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #11,641 of 15,986
An alternative workaround: use an extra amp (or extra amp channel) and an extra speaker (can be cheap and small) to connect to output 1-2 while using other outputs for the sweeps. (And while measuring from outputs 1-2 you don't use the extra amp/speaker).
All is well. Like I said... the assist tones are nice... but the angles on the display are much more accurate.

May 31, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #11,642 of 15,986
Another free pointer... Don't and I repeat Don't try to make any mutil-channel (more than two) PRIRs in 24 channel mode. The A16 crashes, glitches, and saves the PRIR before the measurements are complete... Making the rest of the buffered PRIR unusable. 16 Channel mode works perfectly... even for channels that are not useable in 16 channel mode.

UGH!

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #11,644 of 15,986
Another free pointer... Don't and I repeat Don't try to make any mutil-channel (more than two) PRIRs in 24 channel mode. The A16 crashes, glitches, and saves the PRIR before the measurements are complete... Making the rest of the buffered PRIR unusable. 16 Channel mode works perfectly... even for channels that are not useable in 16 channel mode.

UGH!
So make a 16 channel, then make another one for the remaining 8 channels? Again, not that I was ever planning to do that inasmuch as I don't have access to any rooms witrh more than 16 channel, but jeesh.

May 31, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #11,645 of 15,986
So make a 16 channel, then make another one for the remaining 8 channels? Again, not that I was ever planning to do that inasmuch as I don't have access to any rooms witrh more than 16 channel, but jeesh.
That's the plan...

Still waiting for the FW update that allows to capture up to 24 channels.

It is time consuming.

May 31, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #11,647 of 15,986
I thought you upgraded to the 24 channel version?
I'm ta;king about a room with 24 speakers in it. Yes, my A16 could (or so I thought before you corrected everyone) record it in one go through, but I still have only 16 analog outs in any case.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #11,648 of 15,986
Much, much better than the yellow foamies... The Bulletz don't compress down to nothing... And they stay in your ear exactly where you put them... But most importantly... They don't get squashed and pushed in to the path of the microphone.

Screenshot_20210601-150343_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20210601-150533_Gallery.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PDSG7HN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #11,649 of 15,986
I am sorry if this question has been answered before. I am using my A16 with my Asus Gaming Laptop.
In the past I used the HDMI cable for the A16 and the display port for the Samsung U32R592CWR Dis 31,5. Which worked as the A16 was seen as an additional screen.
Dolby Atmos e.g. in games then works while it does not via USB.

Now I have a Razer Core Egpu with a Geforce RTX 2060 installed. I connected it via Thunderbolt to the Asus laptop and it works.
But when I try to connect the A16 via the HDMI from the laptop or from the Razer I get a black screen. Any idea if this should work?

I have not tried to connect Laptop -> Thunderbolt -> Razer -> HDMI -> A16 -> HDMI -> monitor, but maybe I should.

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #11,652 of 15,986
You are right. This is what I tried first. Again ending in a black screen.
Could it be that the computer adds a new display(the a16), and shows it, a black screen instead of displaying the desktop?
Could good old ”win+p” help even if we don't see the desktop? I’m stranded on an android tablet for 2 more weeks so I can't test anything.

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #11,653 of 15,986
I think I just increased the quality of my videos a bit just by turning the large TV behind me on lol

It is time for Smyth Research A16 to receive a viddy, one that will surely make everyone understand a bit better what it does, and what's up with it ~

This is more of an introductory video, as it is a niche product, and I always thought it needs more of an introduction and explanation about its functions and such. Basically, if you want to learn more about head tracking, home theather, headphones and 3D sonic presentations, this video should be perfect for you :)

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #11,654 of 15,986
I think I just increased the quality of my videos a bit just by turning the large TV behind me on lol

It is time for Smyth Research A16 to receive a viddy, one that will surely make everyone understand a bit better what it does, and what's up with it ~

This is more of an introductory video, as it is a niche product, and I always thought it needs more of an introduction and explanation about its functions and such. Basically, if you want to learn more about head tracking, home theather, headphones and 3D sonic presentations, this video should be perfect for you :)

I think the rubber feet fall off everyone's A16.... Mine were stuck to the plastic bag inside the box when I received it. I had my machine converted to the a 2U... I like the form factor much better.

Thanks for posting the review... I'm not going to badmouth it... But I think a lot of major points were missed. Especially the one you were so excited about.. Soundstage. The illusion of soundstage is possible because of the recorded response of the speakers in a room. The A16 reproduces that response as an out of your head experience... Simply because it is. Not because it is doing anything fancy in post-production.

Did you end up dropping the Realiser? I was nervous watching you spin the a16 around during the whole video... Lol

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #11,655 of 15,986
I need help with SW / Tactile setting. I'm using Raal SR1A with 9.1.6 PRIR, the SW bass is too loud that i could hear screeching noise from the headphone. Tactile output is fine.
are there any raal SR1A owners having this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back