Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 25, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #11,611 of 15,989
My path with the Realiser runs as follows: NVIDIA Shield ===> A16 Realiser ====> 55" Changhong 4K LCD TV all via HDMI. So no need for eARC b/c I'm not using the TV as the souce, but only as the endpoint. Plan to upgrade to a LG 55" OLED by year end. Given the excellence of the NVIDIA, stilll don't see why I would want to use any TV as my source, so, mercifully, I didn't get bitten by the Smyth upgrade, but charging for the upgrade (mine came free b/c it was being repaired in shop when they ran out of the old boards), and not delivering one of the two big promises (the other being 24 channel) is just a real p*%$er IMHO.
My need for eARC is a bit crazier even and there is currently no real way for me to work around it. I have three HDMI 2.1 devices that I have to plug directly into my TV to use VRR and 4K above 60 fps with HDR. The CX has an optical out which I am currently using to get sound from those devices to the A16, but it doesn’t support anything higher that 5.1 surround and the delay is very noticeable between the sound and video. It was because I was buying the CX last spring that I decided to jump on upgrading my A16 due to my need for eARC. I figured that the Smyths wouldn’t be all that quick to implement it, but I would have thought maybe by the end of last summer we would have seen an update for it. Here we are not that far from the start of summer 2021 and no eARC, no updates in months, basically radio silence. I know the old adage of not buying devices for what they might offer, buy them for the features they currently offer, but in this case Smyrh Research made a big deal about the new board support eARC and had it at the top of their to be implement features list last year. If I had a good work around I would just do it. I know devices like the SHARC are out there, but I can’t afford to lose my tv’s eARC port and to lose one of the four HDMI inputs of my A16 for it. I am stuck with using optical until either the A16 gets an update to enable eARC or HDMI 2.1 switches become available. Even if 2.1 switches launch soon I’m left with the prospect of buying one of those which I’m sure will be awfully expensive, then needing a SHARC which isn’t cheap, and then another switch to add inputs to the A16 which would be such a convoluted setup that it almost makes my brain hurt to think about.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #11,612 of 15,989
I've been using the Apple TV for more than a decade and have mostly Apple devices, so I don't want to switch streamers if I can avoid it. However, if there is no solution to the Atmos/MAT issue by the end of the year, I guess I'll either get an NVIDIA Shield or a Google TV. I got my mom the new Google TV recently and I was surprised how good it has gotten. Very close to the Apple TV now in terms of features and usability. And it is only like $50. What model of the NVIDIA Shield should I compare it to? NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Pro 4K HDR?
I can tell you the NVIDIA has outstanding video quality in addition to trouble free ATMOS rendering. Don't know about Google TV, or Amazon Fire, for that matter. The only weakness I see with the NVIDIA is the lack of channels compared to something like the Roku shield. I was disappointed NVIDIA didn't have a Qobuz channel, but it does have a Tidal channel. Of course any number of steaming channels can be streamed to it via its built in chromecast function.

May 25, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #11,613 of 15,989
This is NOT an Apple issue. Atmos is broken because the "new" HDMI board in the 24-channel A-16 has a bug decoding MAT streaming. From the latest (more than a year old) release notes:

"The APM110 Atmos decoder is not decoding Dolby MAT streams correctly. MAT streaming is commonly used in Apple TV and Sony PlayStation products when decoding Atmos content."
That's not the HDMI board, that's the DSP.
I want to be clear about this because I'm still angry that I went to all that trouble to upgrade my A-16 and lost more (feature wise) than I gained. Also because this is almost certainly a fix that will come from the HDMI board vendor and if there is not one after over a year, I doubt there ever will be one.

Edit: In fact, I'm so annoyed with it that I decided to contact MDS directly. I'll post here if/when I get a reply.
I'm pretty sure MDS has fixed this. The Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 uses the same MDS DSP board, as well as the 7 port version of the HDMI board, and I can't find any evidence that the Apple TV 4k doesn't produce Atmos output with the HTP-1. The only issue I could find is that the ATV refuses to stream Atmos if no ceiling speakers are enabled. What's the exact problem with the A16? Does the ATV not send Atmos, or does the A16 not decode it properly?

May 27, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #11,615 of 15,989
Hi, everyone. I've been a lurker here off and on for a couple of years, never posted. I post here today because, although I'm an early buyer (Pre-orderer) of the A16 who hasn't yet received his unit, I'm not a kickstarter backer so I can't post in the comments over there.

I reached out to someone I knew to have an interest in the A16 and he was able to reach someone at Smyth Research and I eventually got this update from James:

"We are going through a restocking, and because there are hardware changes ( due to AKM factory burning down) the timeline to start restocking has been extended, Once we have restocked we will start shipping KickStarter and Pre-orders right away. We have every intention in fulfilling the remaining back
log of orders and we'll make sure everyone including yourself will get their A16 unit."

If possible, could someone share this info over on the Kickstarter project comments section? It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks.

May 28, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #11,617 of 15,989
Hi, everyone. I've been a lurker here off and on for a couple of years, never posted. I post here today because, although I'm an early buyer (Pre-orderer) of the A16 who hasn't yet received his unit, I'm not a kickstarter backer so I can't post in the comments over there.

I reached out to someone I knew to have an interest in the A16 and he was able to reach someone at Smyth Research and I eventually got this update from James:

"We are going through a restocking, and because there are hardware changes ( due to AKM factory burning down) the timeline to start restocking has been extended, Once we have restocked we will start shipping KickStarter and Pre-orders right away. We have every intention in fulfilling the remaining back
log of orders and we'll make sure everyone including yourself will get their A16 unit."

If possible, could someone share this info over on the Kickstarter project comments section? It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks.
Thanks, I just posted this in the KS comments.

May 28, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #11,618 of 15,989
Would be nice to know when the restocking will be complete and when the shipments will resume. In the meantime, nothing prevents regular updates, or an effort to fulfill some of their promises regarding through firmware updates, a DVD for async PRIRs, remote codes. Realiser Exchange, etc.

May 28, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #11,619 of 15,989
I did send James an email asking if he could give me a general idea about when we would see any firmware updates and more specifically eARC, but I didn’t not receive a response.

May 28, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #11,620 of 15,989
Please don't shoot the messenger...

This was posted on: https://www.homecinema-fr.com

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...iser-a16-voir-post-1-t30075654-2460.html#wrap

Hello, news from Gilles GERIN:

Good evening,

I hope you are enjoying your Realiser A16.

I have good news: a new firmware is finally on final approach for your A16. It's for June. This time, it's sure. Yes finally !

On the other hand, no, it will not yet be for the 2 big subjects (which you are expecting): the eARC and the DTS: X ... On the other hand, I assure you, it has plenty of small nuggets in store.

In particular one in Hi-Fi, which will propel the A16 where no other headphone amplifier has ever gone.

I'm not telling you more for the moment.

Soon also, you will be able to download Dolby Atmos files in the new Realizer Club to capture installations yourself, up to 9.1.6. This is one of the flagship promises of the A16, and it will now be available to you, exclusively. With a new manual in French, updated for all the main novelties, and the procedure to capture an Atmos installation.

Long live the Realize!

See you soon

PS: I guess you heard the Apple announcement that will soon offer music in Dolby Atmos? Here is still plenty of good content in perspective to heat your headphones, with the A16, and without the need for DTS: X decoding :wink:...

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #11,621 of 15,989
Please don't shoot the messenger...

This was posted on: https://www.homecinema-fr.com

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...iser-a16-voir-post-1-t30075654-2460.html#wrap

Hello, news from Gilles GERIN:

Good evening,

I hope you are enjoying your Realiser A16.

I have good news: a new firmware is finally on final approach for your A16. It's for June. This time, it's sure. Yes finally !

On the other hand, no, it will not yet be for the 2 big subjects (which you are expecting): the eARC and the DTS: X ... On the other hand, I assure you, it has plenty of small nuggets in store.

In particular one in Hi-Fi, which will propel the A16 where no other headphone amplifier has ever gone.

I'm not telling you more for the moment.

Soon also, you will be able to download Dolby Atmos files in the new Realizer Club to capture installations yourself, up to 9.1.6. This is one of the flagship promises of the A16, and it will now be available to you, exclusively. With a new manual in French, updated for all the main novelties, and the procedure to capture an Atmos installation.

Long live the Realize!

See you soon

PS: I guess you heard the Apple announcement that will soon offer music in Dolby Atmos? Here is still plenty of good content in perspective to heat your headphones, with the A16, and without the need for DTS: X decoding :wink:...
Thanks for that. At this point any update is a positive one, but why oh why is eARC taking so long lol?

May 28, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #11,622 of 15,989
I suppose this is only for the customers of Gilles, and has nothing to do with the Realiser Exchange.

May 28, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #11,623 of 15,989
I suppose this is only for the customers of Gilles, and has nothing to do with the Realiser Exchange.
Absolutely. The newsletter is sent to his customers only but is usually largely broadcast on HCFR. The Realiser club is the small equivalent of the forthcoming Realiser Exchange that Gilles created years ago at the time of the A8.

Edit : link to his Realiser club
https://av-in.com/products/acces-1-an-au-club-realiser

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #11,624 of 15,989
Absolutely. The newsletter is sent to his customers only but is usually largely broadcast on HCFR. The Realiser club is the small equivalent of the forthcoming Realiser Exchange that Gilles created years ago at the time of the A8.

Looks to me like there is no charge to download, but I think most if not all of them are already on the common drive.

May 28, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #11,625 of 15,989

I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for access to at least some of Gilles’s exclusive A16 files, including an updated manual translated from French to English. OTOH, advance news about the new firmware is most welcome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back