Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 28, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #11,627 of 15,986
Gilles put in some work to get the PCM files (useful ones, not the weird selection that's floating around here) produced and optimized, therefore it's AV-In customers only for now.
I totally get that but we’re still not talking about PRIR files matched to our individual anatomies. Still, Gilles could make a few euros selling files to A16 owners outside of his group of customers.

May 28, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #11,628 of 15,986
Gilles put in some work to get the PCM files (useful ones, not the weird selection that's floating around here) produced and optimized, therefore it's AV-In customers only for now.
The weird selection was shared by the Smyths themselves to Audio Note, their India dealer :). Obviously Giles is more concerned about realiser than smyths themselves. Frustrating for the non French .

May 29, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #11,630 of 15,986
The weird selection was shared by the Smyths themselves to Audio Note, their India dealer :). Obviously Giles is more concerned about realiser than smyths themselves. Frustrating for the non French .
Frustrating indeed. I wouldn't have started this if my patience hadn't been worn thin months ago.

I don't understand how the Indian dealer didn't realize that Room 58 is obviously incomplete. If anyone had tested this at all, it should have been impossible to overlook even when just playing all the sounds in sequence. Having only look right 90° and four different look angles on the left in steps of 15° can't really produce optimal results. But then again, it's not practical to play that back properly anywhere as PCM, except maybe with a tricked out Trinnov or Storm and a 16 channel interface connected to a PC.

As Smyth customers we're used to waiting :unamused:. The files will be available for everyone at some point in the not too distant future.

May 30, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #11,631 of 15,986
Unfortunately... I think I found another bug. Apparently...when using HT Assist... the tone only comes from the speaker plugged into output channel #1. This is a real bummer if you are using the two-channel speaker method. If you plug the 3.5mm cable into any other output other than #1&2... you will lose the HT assist tone.

If you are free and would like to test this for me... I'd appreciate it.

From the manual: The guiding is achieved by emitting ‘guide’ tones from the target loudspeaker that change in frequency and intensity according to the separation of the head tracker angle from the target angle. When the target angle is reached and steady the guide tones turn off and the sine wave sweeps begin for the PRIR measurement for that head orientation.

Unfortunately... I only get the tone from out channel #1

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #11,632 of 15,986
Unfortunately... I think I found another bug. Apparently...when using HT Assist... the tone only comes from the speaker plugged into output channel #1. This is a real bummer if you are using the two-channel speaker method. If you plug the 3.5mm cable into any other output other than #1&2... you will lose the HT assist tone.

If you are free and would like to test this for me... I'd appreciate it.

From the manual: The guiding is achieved by emitting ‘guide’ tones from the target loudspeaker that change in frequency and intensity according to the separation of the head tracker angle from the target angle. When the target angle is reached and steady the guide tones turn off and the sine wave sweeps begin for the PRIR measurement for that head orientation.

Unfortunately... I only get the tone from out channel #1
The work around with the two channel method is to relabel channels "1" and "2" with the speaker pair you are attempting to capture with each successive PRIR rather than assigning those pairs to channels 3-16 and reconnecting your amp to each of the remaining 7 outputs to capture each new pair. I did the first method when I did my PRIR and didn't even notice the absence of tone b/c I didn't use the other outputs. But yeah, really sloppy work non their part.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #11,633 of 15,986
I agree... Sloppy.

I've done it your way before.. I was just hoping to get a 16 channel prir with one file.

I even tried splitting the #1 channel with an RCA splitter... Sending the signal to another splitter before the amp. Doing this allows the HT assist tone is incorporated with the left channel of all other outputs... But something doesn't sound right.. the low end is missing.

I normally move the a16 around the room with me so that I can see the azimuth and elevation angles to get them both at 0°... But the assist tones do help.

PS. Even when sending a signal from output 3 through 16... The assist tone is still coming from output 1... Even if it's disabled.

It's a real bummer.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #11,634 of 15,986
I agree... Sloppy.

I've done it your way before.. I was just hoping to get a 16 channel prir with one file.

I even tried splitting the #1 channel with an RCA splitter... Sending the signal to another splitter before the amp. Doing this allows the HT assist tone is incorporated with the left channel of all other outputs... But something doesn't sound right.. the low end is missing.

I normally move the a16 around the room with me so that I can see the azimuth and elevation angles to get them both at 0°... But the assist tones do help.

PS. Even when sending a signal from output 3 through 16... The assist tone is still coming from output 1... Even if it's disabled.

It's a real bummer.
That moving the Realizer around the rooms thing is some kind of bullsh*t. Illustrates WHY a web based interface is so necessary. Imagine how much easier the process would be having that dashboard on your IPad, or Android Tablet, or Smartphone. Yeah, some kind of bullsh*t!

Dittto for not having wireless headtracking!

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #11,635 of 15,986
It's a real bummer.
Dittto for not having wireless headtracking!
And ditto for not having a real one or two speaker measurement routine where you can make a single 16- or even 24 channel PRIR without re-plugging anything. And that re-uses lookangles as much as possible. (So you can create a PRIR with 24 horizontal lookangles at every 15 degrees for accurate full 360 degree headtracking without having to measure 16 x 24 = 384 or 24 x 24 = 576 sweeps!)

May 30, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #11,636 of 15,986
I hope I understand you wrong! Do you mean that you use the second splitter to join two A16 output signals together? That would not be a wise thing to do, as you then effectively make a short cut between two A16 outputs! Indeed some sound would come through because you then would have created some sort of tri point star voltage divider from two A16 output impedances and your amps input impedance.

An alternative workaround: use an extra amp (or extra amp channel) and an extra speaker (can be cheap and small) to connect to output 1-2 while using other outputs for the sweeps. (And while measuring from outputs 1-2 you don't use the extra amp/speaker).

May 30, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #11,637 of 15,986
And ditto for not having a real one or two speaker measurement routine where you can make a single 16- or even 24 channel PRIR without re-plugging anything. And that re-uses lookangles as much as possible. (So you can create a PRIR with 24 horizontal lookangles at every 15 degrees for accurate full 360 degree headtracking without having to measure 16 x 24 = 384 or 24 x 24 = 576 sweeps!)
You're doing 360 degree sweeps with 15 degtree gradations? I did 5 lookangle sweeps with 15 degree gradations. I figured covering 60 degrees was more than adequate for this couch potato.

Looking at that a second time I think you mean that you could cover every speaker in a layer (base or top) if you could just do a 360 degree rotation in 15 degree increments and IF the PRIR capture was sophisticated enough to reuse every captured look angle? AMIRITE?

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #11,638 of 15,986
You're doing 360 degree sweeps with 15 degtree gradations? I did 5 lookangle sweeps with 15 degree gradations. I figured covering 60 degrees was more than adequate for this couch potato.
I want to do it one day.
Imagine: 360 degree headtracking with a wireless headtracker and wireless headphones: we could dance and make pirouettes in our own ultimate silent disco!

May 30, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #11,639 of 15,986
Looking at that a second time I think you mean that you could cover every speaker in a layer (base or top) is you could just do a 360 degree rotation in 15 degree increments and IF the PRIR capture was sophisticated enough to reuse every captured look angle? AMIRITE?
Yes. For example the A8 has an option where you measure a single speaker reorienting yourself 12 times every 30 degrees, and then it creates a 7.1 PRIR from that result. In this case you only avoid 8 x 3 - 12 = 12 sweep measurements (because the A8 can only do the basic 3 lookangles headtracking, and only 8 speakers).
That makes it ironic that the A16 doesn't have a similar option. Because in the case of the A16 you could already create 12 ear level speakers - or more if you use interpolation - from those same 12 sweep measurements, with 360 degrees headtracking! (With the A16 you now need 12 x 12 = 144 sweep measurements for that.) And from 24 sweep measurements from one ear level speaker it would be possible to create 24 ear level speakers - or more if you use interpolation - with more precise and 360 degrees headtracking. (Now you need 24 x 24 sweep measurements for that. Of course you don't need 24 ear level speakers, but you would get them for free if you re-use lookangles.)
So indeed if you did 24 lookangles for each height level you would have all speaker positions you need, all with accurate 360 degrees headtracking.
(Although you won't get the atmos top speakers in two straight lines from the front to back in the room as they are often depicted in the atmos speaker info sheets, worst case you would have to do another 24 sweep measurements for the atmos middle top speakers, they would have to be a little closer and vertically slightly differently angled compared to the front- and rear top speakers to achieve those two straight lines.)
(And for the Auro3D top speaker one single sweep measurement could suffice, because straight above stays straight above.)

May 30, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #11,640 of 15,986
Seems to me you would also have to use magnetic rather than optical stabilization, inasmuch as you would lose the line of sight with the set top device in doing that 360 degree rotation, which would not, as far as I'm concerned be a bad thing.

Yeah, I don't know why they did a lot of the things they did. The user interface is at the level of early '90s technology, and it, along with all the "spaghetti" wiring remains the club foot of the system.

A streamlined system with the user friendly features we're discussing would be a much more marketable product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back