Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 24, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #10,831 of 15,985
I’ve uploaded my PRIR files to https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O9vvj7fa-CiXVVoR0LCyRB9EFtsZMBo2?usp=sharing

There's a folder named GeorgeA that contains a pdf file for the description of creating PRIRs from two speakers and 10 PRIR files.

I did try your PRIR this afternoon. My dvd (Dolby 5.1) started with the dialogue in C and I waited for the rest...as soon as the other channels were activated I had an overload in sound volume and endured very very strong buzzes. I reduced the volume, the same ; I changed to another Preset and the buzzing was gone. I retried with the gain to a minimum but then the sound was diffuse, not very clear.

Buzzes all the way except for the C channel. No idea why. I am very curious as to someone else' experience.

Anyway thanks for sharing your PRIR.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #10,832 of 15,985
I did try your PRIR this afternoon. My dvd (Dolby 5.1) started with the dialogue in C and I waited for the rest...as soon as the other channels were activated I had an overload in sound volume and endured very very strong buzzes. I reduced the volume, the same ; I changed to another Preset and the buzzing was gone. I retried with the gain to a minimum but then the sound was diffuse, not very clear.

Buzzes all the way except for the C channel. No idea why. I am very curious as to someone else' experience.

Anyway thanks for sharing your PRIR.
I'm going to echo what @You Gene has stated... But I'm going to add some words of extreme caution to anyone else looking to try these PRIRs.... Start with the volume at the LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTING ON LOW GAIN! I mean no offense @GeorgeA ... I'm just trying to save someone's hearing and/or very expensive headphones. Something is definitely wrong with these measurements.

When you calibrated your speakers... What value were you getting for gain?

I know we can get this sorted out for you... But it will most likely mean re-measuring.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #10,833 of 15,985
I don’t feel offended at all. Frankly writing, I can’t remember what the gains were during speakers’ calibration as I sat at the listening position and there was a colleague of mine who made the required settings. I told him to choose the lowest value between the gains for L and R speakers. Actually, there were two calibrations, the first one when we measured the speakers at ear level and the second one after relocation of speakers at height.

I’m going to carry out other measurements after I get some adapters to mount the speakers at height and tilted towards the listening position at higher angles than it was possible when the speakers sat on some bookcases.

So, to avoid damages to other people, I’ll take down the folder with my PRIRS.

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #10,834 of 15,985
Anyone know if their site is down I get a error message saying server is down when sending a message.
I’ll post it here as well in case ppl from smyth are reading these post
309820C7-AE3A-48BD-8A95-4C8C7CF0D27D.jpeg

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #10,836 of 15,985
I'm going to echo what @You Gene has stated... But I'm going to add some words of extreme caution to anyone else looking to try these PRIRs.... Start with the volume at the LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTING ON LOW GAIN! I mean no offense @GeorgeA ... I'm just trying to save someone's hearing and/or very expensive headphones. Something is definitely wrong with these measurements.
If those PRIRs are so broken that they cause clipping or other extreme distortions, the A16 should recognize that and at least warn, or better yet, automatically adjust the gain. Ideally, it would display a warning already when taking the measurement. Has anyone sent a bug report to the Smyths regarding this?

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #10,837 of 15,985
If those PRIRs are so broken that they cause clipping or other extreme distortions, the A16 should recognize that and at least warn, or better yet, automatically adjust the gain. Ideally, it would display a warning already when taking the measurement. Has anyone sent a bug report to the Smyths regarding this?
The A16 does typically adjust the gain for clipping... But I was on high gain with the volume low to start with... Yet the sound coming from the headphones was extremely and loud... Not something I was prepared for.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #10,839 of 15,985
Anybody knows the wiring and voltage(3-5v DC? phantom power? mitochondrion? mana?)?
It's possible that I'll never bother measuring anything new on the A16 for years, so I'd enjoy being able to use those binaural mics for other stuff. I asked Smyth long ago but never got a response to that specific mail.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #10,840 of 15,985
Usually, I prefer going with low gain and high volume so that there is lower THD at amplifier level.
My headphones typically require a lot of power... So the gain is set to high. But even when I switched the gain to low... Something was very wrong. :deadhorse:

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #10,843 of 15,985
Then, I think I might write that not doing manLOUD HPEQ with foreign PRIRs (or BRIRs) is worse than that “something very wrong”.

Actually, I wrote that it would be necessary a manLOUD HPEQ for the combination of specific headphone and those PRIRs if anyone wanted to use them.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #10,844 of 15,985
Then, I think I might write that not doing manLOUD HPEQ with foreign PRIRs (or BRIRs) is worse than that “something very wrong”.

Actually, I wrote that it would be necessary a manLOUD HPEQ for the combination of specific headphone and those PRIRs if anyone wanted to use them.
Hey George...

Again... I mean and meant no offense... But the manLOUD feature is to reshape a PRIR to another listeners ear. It is not meant to correct for measurements gone wrong. I stand by my statement that something is very wrong with your PRIRs.

I've tried most of the available measurements on the Google drive... And none have produced such high distortions that I was afraid they were going to destroy the drivers of my headphones.

Before attempting the manLOUD correction... I think most users would demo someone else's measurement to see if they are to their liking... That is why I issued the warning. Even when set to low gain at a low volume level... Your PRIR may reproduce damaging results.

Not to worry... most users on this forum are more than willing to help you get it right the next time.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #10,845 of 15,985
Anybody knows the wiring and voltage(3-5v DC? phantom power? mitochondrion? mana?)?
It's possible that I'll never bother measuring anything new on the A16 for years, so I'd enjoy being able to use those binaural mics for other stuff. I asked Smyth long ago but never got a response to that specific mail.
Are you aware that the A16 has an option 'Listen to microphones on HPB' in the Apps menu?
In this mode you will see level meters, and the microphones signals go to headphone B, and also the RCA and digital outputs for user B. So effectively you can use the A16 as a microphone amp and AD converter and with that use your microphones for many things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back