Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #10,396 of 15,987
Other than AIX, and show demos for the Realiser... Has anyone really had a PRIR made in a recording studio or dealer's home theater setup?

Well... I will be recording this starting tomorrow. Im not a dealer. But I used to set this stuff up for a living more than 1/2 a lifetime ago... Does this count?

20200930_215044.jpg

(That's a Heresey II for the side and in the back not pictured are Tannoy coax monitors for rear and Fostex monitors as up firing Atmos. What may not be clear is I'm using my M&K S-150 LR speakers for front Atmos upfiring speakers. Also not seen is a 2nd M&K sub pointing to the left behind the puny 40" TV standing ontop of the LaScala bass bin I had custom made. Goal was to do "live concert DVDs" really well. And that, it does.)

My 'rental' A16 -- much thanx! you know who you are -- arrived today. Need to watch the videos and learn myself some A16 menus 1st tonight.

And as noted earlier in this thread... once my A16 arrives I will hit my cousin up who has numerous Oscars and other awards doing movie and TV show sound, who I am hoping will be able to get me in for some time in a studio or few that he works in in NYC. So please stand by. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #10,397 of 15,987
I am hoping will be able to get me in for some time in a studio or few that he works in in NYC. So please stand by. :wink:
If your cousin is up to it... Would you mind if I came along for a measurement? I have an A16 we can use.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #10,398 of 15,987
On hifi forum (Germany) : http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-110-16664-26.html
...Yesterday, on Wednesday, I received the email to verify the address / order for the A16 from Smyth.
After a little over 4 years it seems as if it is possible to receive the Holy Grail in a finite time.
To be honest, I had already mentally written off this investment as a total loss.
(Backer 302)...

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #10,401 of 15,987
by seeing your equipments... smyth realiser is definitely a worthy headphone stand for you!
Thanks... It was just a photo op... Wish I had gotten the 2U version... But no need to complain about trivial things.

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #10,402 of 15,987
If your cousin is up to it... Would you mind if I came along for a measurement? I have an A16 we can use.
I'll have to see if he or the managing directors of the studio/location permits that. But more importantly and ideally, I wanted to be doing this with my A16 in hand. :wink:

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #10,403 of 15,987
Been doing manLouds for a number of PRIRs. I can't believe that there isn't something in the file nomenclature on the Realiser that clearly indicates not only the Headphones, but also the PRIR used to make that manLoud. Doesn't appear to be anything there. What I am doing is keeping a written record of the position of the manLoud/PRIR pairing on the file listing. So if the file is third on the list, for example, it's an manLOUD eq of the Surry room, on my list. Not that great a way to keep track of things, but it looks like they really dropped the ball on this one.

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #10,404 of 15,987
Had a thought...

Is there any real disadvantage of doing a single speaker measurement for a 9.1 setup... Other than it being a little more time consuming?

I'm wondering if doing a single speaker measurement for a multi-channel setup might actually be more beneficial in a home environment... After all, you could leave the speaker in the same place for each measurement just sitting and turning in your chair 0°, 30°, 60°, 90°, 150°... Keeping the speaker at the same ideal distance, and the sweet spot for each measurement...

I'm thinking the only tricky part about it will be moving the head tracking device to be at its virtual center position.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #10,405 of 15,987
Been doing manLouds for a number of PRIRs. I can't believe that there isn't something in the file nomenclature on the Realiser that clearly indicates not only the Headphones, but also the PRIR used to make that manLoud. Doesn't appear to be anything there. What I am doing is keeping a written record of the position of the manLoud/PRIR pairing on the file listing. So if the file is third on the list, for example, it's an manLOUD eq of the Surry room, on my list. Not that great a way to keep track of things, but it looks like they really dropped the ball on this one.
I already wrote that you can rename the headphone and subject of each HPEQ (and room and subject for a PRIR). Please look it up in one of my posts from the last days, I'm in hurry at the moment.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #10,406 of 15,987
I’ve acquired several sets of PRIRs including AIX studios.
More recently, I measured myself a 9.1.6 setup using a pair of loudspeakers and rotating my position around.

Conclusion for me: the home made PRIR made in realistic size room is the one that sounds the most natural.
In my opinion, it’s a pity not to take advantage of the measuring capability of the realizer, it’s less complicated than it feels if you follow the videos.

For me, no way I am spending money on PRIRs acquisition going forward...

arnaud

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #10,407 of 15,987
More recently, I measured myself a 9.1.6 setup using a pair of loudspeakers and rotating my position around.

Conclusion for me: the home made PRIR made in realistic size room is the one that sounds the most natural.
In my opinion, it’s a pity not to take advantage of the measuring capability of the realizer, it’s less complicated than it feels if you follow the videos.

arnaud
I;m going to do my own system and I have a friend and we're planning to take a PRIR of his system, and since I live in Nashville I think there are a number of studios including one with JBL M2 that I may be able to access.

I think anyone who pays $4k for a Realiser, and never makes a PRIR of a really good system is wasting his money.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #10,408 of 15,987
This week I've done a Atmos 9.1.4 measurement in the MSM studios in Munich. It's a very nice sounding system and room. Stefan Bock from MSM and Stefan Mayer from For-Tune were both a pleasure to deal with. They did two room measurements and calibrations for four different headphones (Heddphone, Utopia, Phi TC and HD800).

To my surprise the best result, and not by a thin margin, was the one with the HD800. It was closest to the actual room perception. Second was Utopia, third the Abyss and unexpectedly the least convincing was the Heddphone. Despite the frequency equalization that is applied when doing a calibration it had the weakest and least realistic bass. This and the limited reproduction of space made it sound the least realistic.

I didn't expect that as I really dig the Heddphone, also for Jazz with acoustic bass and even for organ pieces. I clearly see why Smyth suggests using the HD800. Now I will do calibrations for some electrostats (SR-Omega, 009, 007, 4070, L700, Orpheus and Baby Orpheus). As for me the Orpheus has the best spatial presentation and timbre of all, my expectations are highest for that one.

BTW Stefan has done the mastering for the 2020 Yello album Point and he used a ATMOS 9.1.4 version of the piece Out of Sight for testing the result of the measurement. Amazing stuff.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #10,409 of 15,987

arnaud
What was your speaker distance to the listening position?
Did you run the LFE as an individual speaker and/or part of the frequency response for each of the bed layer speakers?
How did you achieve placement of the six Atmos speakers?

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #10,410 of 15,987
This week I've done a Atmos 9.1.4 measurement in the MSM studios in Munich. It's a very nice sounding system and room. Stefan Bock from MSM and Stefan Mayer from For-Tune were both a pleasure to deal with. They did two room measurements and calibrations for four different headphones (Heddphone, Utopia, Phi TC and HD800).

To my surprise the best result, and not by a thin margin, was the one with the HD800. It was closest to the actual room perception. Second was Utopia, third the Abyss and unexpectedly the least convincing was the Heddphone. Despite the frequency equalization that is applied when doing a calibration it had the weakest and least realistic bass. This and the limited reproduction of space made it sound the least realistic.

I didn't expect that as I really dig the Heddphone, also for Jazz with acoustic bass and even for organ pieces. I clearly see why Smyth suggests using the HD800. Now I will do calibrations for some electrostats (SR-Omega, 009, 007, 4070, L700, Orpheus and Baby Orpheus). As for me the Orpheus has the best spatial presentation and timbre of all, my expectations are highest for that one.

BTW Stefan has done the mastering for the 2020 Yello album Point and he used a ATMOS 9.1.4 version of the piece Out of Sight for testing the result of the measurement. Amazing stuff.
Thanks for sharing... But I'm a little confused... How can the bass lite HD800 headphone compare with the likes of 1266 TC... Especially in the LFE range? Or do you specifically mean The HD800 was best at capturing the characteristics of the room?

PS... HD800 or HD800s?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back