Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 30, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #10,381 of 16,022
I can post a video of today's complete webinar hear, but I am not sure whether that would be violating some copyright rule. Does anyone know? We were not made to agree to any non-disclosure rules or caveats before joining the meeting. If I can post the video without infringing on any such rules, then I shall go ahead and do it. I just want to be sure that it is all legal first.

That is why I mentioned yesterday - if anyone made a copy - to send it by pm if possible.
Edit : to anyone interested enough to ask for it since it is mostly generalities from what I read earlier.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #10,382 of 16,022
I contacted yesterday For-Tune (German dealer) to ask for any prospects about a virtual/physical contact with the Smyth(s). Their reply today was :
..."so far we have not planned any video conference.We are currently busy arranging PRIR sessions with our customers for Dolby Atmos...
:slight_frown:

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #10,383 of 16,022
I'm not sure. It was not really a public event.
The attendants were not aware that this will be published to the world and did not give their consent that their voice recordings (video?) will be made public, I think.
I compare this to photographs. If you're on a real public event then I think you silently agree that a photo on which you are depicted may get published, but with a comparable closed event things may be different.
So at least Gilles should be asked, but theoretically I think that in case of a publishing (by Gilles) all participants should have been asked during the webinar.

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #10,384 of 16,022
I'm not sure. It was not really a public event.
The attendants were not aware that this will be published to the world and did not give their consent that their voice recordings (video?) will be made public, I think.
I compare this to photographs. If you're on a real public event then I think you silently agree that a photo on which you are depicted may get published, but with a comparable closed event things may be different.
So at least Gilles should be asked, but theoretically I think that in case of a publishing (by Gilles) all participants should have been asked during the webinar.
Gilles and Stephen were the only participants to speak. Other participants only interacted with a few written comments or questions.
It would make sense to publish this webinar as it is for promotional purpose, the point of it is to convince potential customers to buy it, but i guess Gilles should be asked for authorization first.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #10,385 of 16,022
Okay, I shall send an e-mail inquiry about this matter to Gilles, and see what he has to say.

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #10,386 of 16,022
Ah ok, I wasn't aware that it was just a chat for all other users.
So used to online meetings meanwhile that you automatically think about something like that (Skype, Teams, etc...)
Then I think Gilles should be asked to be on the safe(r) side.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #10,388 of 16,022
Someone should start a kickstarter campaign for the cheap capture of PRIR profiles, somewhere near my neighborhood or even in my State. I shall be the first in line to sign up, and I shall even purchase 3 profile captures. :relaxed: :relaxed:

Umm.. Juuuusst kidding :slight_smile::slight_smile:

Seriously though, I find it a bit frustrating that there isn't a cheaper, and easier way to get a great PRIR profile done, in spite of the existence of great audiophile shops, showrooms, and pro audio studios all over the country. Hell, every shop or studio with a Dolby Atmos demo or listening room should be able to capture such profiles without much hustle. I know that the A16 is a niche product inside a niche hobby, but what the hell! If I can do a profile at home in my own living room, then it should be a hundred times easier for all those shops and pro audio businesses with Dolby Atmos listening and demo rooms, so what gives?

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #10,390 of 16,022
Someone should start a kickstarter campaign for the cheap capture of PRIR profiles, somewhere near my neighborhood or even in my State. I shall be the first in line to sign up, and I shall even purchase 3 profile captures. :relaxed: :relaxed:

Umm.. Juuuusst kidding :slight_smile::slight_smile:

Seriously though, I find it a bit frustrating that there isn't a cheaper, and easier way to get a great PRIR profile done, in spite of the existence of great audiophile shops, showrooms, and pro audio studios all over the country. Hell, every shop or studio with a Dolby Atmos demo or listening room should be able to capture such profiles without much hustle. I know that the A16 is a niche product inside a niche hobby, but what the hell! If I can do a profile at home in my own living room, then it should be a hundred times easier for all those shops and pro audio businesses with Dolby Atmos listening and demo rooms, so what gives?
They don't want to impair the sales of those multi kilobuck products by selling the sonic signature for a fraction of the price of the boat anchors they have on offer.

I'm probably going to be buying an upgrade for my LS 50's in the coming year. The three candidates so far are D & D 8C's, Revel F226be's, and Kef Reference 1's. One of the preconditions I will impose on any dealer I buy these off of, will be the right to take 2 PRIRs of any system in the store complimentary--though I will pay one of their techs a fee for hooking me up. If the answer is no, it will be no sale.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #10,391 of 16,022
They don't want to impair the sales of those multi kilobuck products by selling the sonic signature for a fraction of the price of the boat anchors they have on offer.

I'm probably going to be buying an upgrade for my LS 50's in the coming year. The three candidates so far are D & D 8C's, Revel F226be's, and Kef Reference 1's. One of the preconditions I will impose on any dealer I buy these off of, will be the right to take 2 PRIRs of any system in the store complimentary--though I will pay one of their techs a fee for hooking me up. If the answer is no, it will be no sale.
I can understand why dealers may see it counterproductive to propose people to make PRIR from their high-end auditoriums, but on the other hand, many people who own the A16 may not be potential buyers for their speakers, either because they cannot afford them, or because they cannot put them at their place (for those who are in apartment for example). So, refusing to propose to make PRIR for a reasonable fee can be just refusing some extra money. Not necessarily the smartest move, i think.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #10,392 of 16,022
I saw this screen capture of the realizer exchange on a Facebook page...

Screenshot_20200930-185935_Chrome.jpg
Is there really any value in paying $500 for a prir that is not custom to our individual ears? What if it sounds terrible?

I found an interesting when Steven said that most people never do measurements with his product... And rely solely on using past measurements of others.

Other than AIX, and show demos for the Realiser... Has anyone really had a PRIR made in a recording studio or dealer's home theater setup?

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #10,393 of 16,022
Has anyone really had a PRIR made in a recording studio or dealer's home theater setup?
Several people had one or more A8 PRIR(s) made in AIX studios LA. [Edit: and in other locations also.]
Is there really any value in paying $500 for a prir that is not custom to our individual ears? What if it sounds terrible?
I think what is in that screenshot was just some test filling of the website, not yet completely describing what you are actually buying.
I suspect that some of these prices were for having a personal PRIR measurement done in the mentioned room.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #10,395 of 16,022
I've searched this thread... but couldn't really find a definitive answer... Are near field speakers a good solution for a bad sounding room?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back