Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 28, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #10,351 of 16,082
I'm gonna use a couple of step ladders--place them on the platform where the paint can usually rests and then sit on the floor. 😛
Hmmm... That's a good idea. But how will you get them to angle down and not fall off?

Like these...
CanJamLA2018.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #10,352 of 16,082
Hmmm... That's a good idea. But how will you get them to angle down and not fall off?

Like these...
CanJamLA2018.jpg
Not gonna angle them down, I'll just use eq and, when I get it on the miniDSP, Dirac Live to create compensation curves for the off axis listening angle. I would realy only need to do that twice. Once for the front/back speakers, and once for the center.

Sep 29, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #10,353 of 16,082
Ok, a completely different topic. I've been exploring manLoud today, and I did one for Jazzfan's D& D 8C room, one for the Pilates Studio, and one the the Kef Blades. My question is whether those three distinct eq's are somehow associated with each PRIR and will provide the distinct correction I did when I made the actual eq? Or does the Realiser only store the last eq you make. When I look at the files, it only shows one file for the HD800s, and that appears to be a manLoud eq. I don't even see my auto eq for the HD 800s stored as a distinct file. Does every eq overwrite the last one, or are they saved somewhere?

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #10,354 of 16,082
Ok, a completely different topic. I've been exploring manLoud today, and I did one for Jazzfan's D& D 8C room, one for the Pilates Studio, and one the the Kef Blades. My question is whether those three distinct eq's are somehow associated with each PRIR and will provide the distinct correction I did when I made the actual eq? Or does the Realiser only store the last eq you make. When I look at the files, it only shows one file for the HD800s, and that appears to be a manLoud eq. I don't even see my auto eq for the HD 800s stored as a distinct file. Does every eq overwrite the last one, or are they saved somewhere?
Each HPEQ file can contain an autoEQ, a flatEQ, a manLOUD and a manSPKR.
1601360984068.png

So if you do a new manLOUD with the same HPEQ file the previous manLOUD will be overwritten, but not the autoEQ, flatEQ or manSPKR.

You should create a new HPEQ file for each room that you want to make a manLOUD for.
One way is to just create a new flatEQ (and start your manLOUD from that instead of from an autoEQ).
I think someone also tried to make copies from HPEQ files, with a different file name obviously, on a pc and put them back in the A16(?).

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #10,355 of 16,082
I'm going to take the plunge and order the brand new, hot off the presses Kef ls-50 Meta for some high quality complex prirs for the Google drive.
Apparantly they're about 5 days old.

I have a Treated-Properly 24' by 21' carpeted room to set them up in too... and speaker stands. I am looking forward to this! Hmm, reconsidering, for the sweeps the meta edition may not be necessary.

Courtesy to the members here for recommending them!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #10,356 of 16,082
Each HPEQ file can contain an autoEQ, a flatEQ, a manLOUD and a manSPKR.

So if you do a new manLOUD with the same HPEQ file the previous manLOUD will be overwritten, but not the autoEQ, flatEQ or manSPKR.

You should create a new HPEQ file for each room that you want to make a manLOUD for.
One way is to just create a new flatEQ (and start your manLOUD from that instead of from an autoEQ).
I think someone also tried to make copies from HPEQ files, with a different file name obviously, on a pc and put them back in the A16(?).
Now that makes sense. I would just take the autoeq to the micro sd card, copy it and rename it something like HD 800_D & D room, or HD 800_ pilates room, and then select it when doing a manLoud on the respective BRIR, and then when putting together the preset, use the HD800, and the correct auto eq for the listening room made from the BRIR, and then select the manLOUD filter. That'll work!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #10,357 of 16,082
I'm going to take the plunge and order the brand new, hot off the presses Kef ls-50 Meta for some high quality complex prirs for the Google drive.

Apparantly they're about 5 days old.

I have a Treated-Properly 24 by 21
plus nicely carpeted room to set them up in too... and speaker stands. I am looking forward to this!

Courtesy to the members here for recommending them, more to come!
Couple of things. When using the LD 50s, unlike most speakers, the polar response, directivity pattern is virtually identical whether you lay them on their side or stand them straight up. Something you might want to consider if you elevate them a distance off the floor b/c they might be more stable on their side if you're putting them on a high perch.

With regard to the metas--the wireless and the unpowered have exactly the same directivity curve, though not exactly the same on axis and listening window response. But b/c of the directivity curve, they can be eq'd to sound exactly the same. So if you already have good electronics, no need to buy Kef's Wireless which only have a one year warranty. Moreover, the original LS 50W's had a lot of breakdowns in the field. Kef is not an electronics company, it's a speaker company. A word to the wise.

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #10,358 of 16,082
Sep 29, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #10,360 of 16,082
Sep 29, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #10,364 of 16,082
Well, I don't think that Stephen speaks any french.
So either people will pose their questions directly in english or Giles has to translate.

In my last E-Mail I specifically asked Stephen about putting some Async files online. Just multichannel PCM wavs without any elaborate video menu etc.

With the "Override preamble IDs" function we just need 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0 files for some look angles.
My question was if a 7.1 file would suffice, if you just label 2 speakers in the PRIR sound room or as many you need, or if you HAVE to record always 8 speakers with a 7.1 file. If not, a 7.1 file for different look angles would suffice.

I got no answer yet. So if someone can ask him about that would be interesting.
I think that the question about the Async files will arise anyway though.

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #10,365 of 16,082
Gilles Gerin has posted an announcement about a webinar tonight Tuesday, 29 September 2020 at 20:00 GMT+2.

Tonight at 20 pm, Stephen Smyth, inventors of the Smyth Realiser 24-channel home cinema amp, answers your questions live. Sign up to attend (no replay): https://event.webinarjam.com/register/1/23xygbm
Translated

Source: https://www.facebook.com/smyth.realiser.fr/
Will someone here commit to recording it for the rest of us? I'd do it... but I'll be at work, so a screen capture will be riddled with phone interruptions.

The last webinar was posted to youtube... So hopefully this will be as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back