Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 6, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #8,225 of 16,075
Is anyone using this for games with an atmos feed from their PC via USB? (Or successfully using any atmos content via USB?) I am trying to debate where to put this in my house: my TV room, which I barely use anymore for anything other than occasional TV and movies with my wife (who has zero desire to use this for that purpose) or my computer, which is where I primarily use my headphones.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #8,227 of 16,075
Is anyone using this for games with an atmos feed from their PC via USB? (Or successfully using any atmos content via USB?) I am trying to debate where to put this in my house: my TV room, which I barely use anymore for anything other than occasional TV and movies with my wife (who has zero desire to use this for that purpose) or my computer, which is where I primarily use my headphones.

I’ve only tried Atmos via HDMI from my PC. I didn’t think you could send Atmos via USB, but I could be wrong.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #8,228 of 16,075
I think that you clearly suggested a reasonable choice: where you primarily use your headphones.
Well, sure, I guess what I left out was 3 years ago when I paid for this thing I primarily used my headphones in my living room. (I basically have two gaming setups at both my computer and in my TV room.) I just never use it anymore because my kids have taken it over. But if there was some technical issue I missed, e.g. Atmos not working via USB, I can just switch to over there and go back to HDMI. (My computer desk gaming monitor is DP.)

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #8,229 of 16,075
[...]My computer desk gaming monitor is DP.
If your monitor's DP input accepts HDMI signals (some do), you can buy a cheap HDMI<>DP cable, otherwise an active adapter, otherwise inexpensive converter boxes are available. You can also use one HDMI output just for sound and connect that to the Realiser and leave the output of the Realiser unconnected.

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #8,230 of 16,075
If your monitor's DP input accepts HDMI signals (some do), you can buy a cheap HDMI<>DP cable, otherwise an active adapter, otherwise inexpensive converter boxes are available. You can also use one HDMI output just for sound and connect that to the Realiser and leave the output of the Realiser unconnected.
Thanks, I forgot about the possibility of using HDMI out for audio only. (I am using G-Sync via DP and don't want to compromise that.)

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #8,231 of 16,075
Thanks, I forgot about the possibility of using HDMI out for audio only. (I am using G-Sync via DP and don't want to compromise that.)

It may be working on pc and/or games but I’m yet to be able to go beyond 7.1 through hdmi from a 2019 iMac (I tried both latest os and previous release) regardless of the player (tried apple native app, vlc, quicktime).I also tried usb connection but this did not pass atmos either. Fundamentally, it seems some recent apple hardware can play atmos content but none will pass it through hdmi connector (even in the compressed DD+ scheme) except atv 4k.

I recall it’s the same thing for iOS devices but haven’t been able to confirm yet. On my side, A16 is not getting much use as I don’t have a HT rig where this naturally fits in (how ironic when you think this IS the reason why I purchased one sigh...). My consolation now is that I bought it at kickstarter price and it’s still working fine up to 7.1 from mac or my ipad.

Also, for the same reason, measuring ceiling channels is impractical until a 1 speaker method and asynchronous methods (or at least optical out to send the test signal) are supported so I am hanging in there as they say (fortunately, I have 5.1 and 7.1 prirs made at AIX studios before they shut down a few years back).

arnaud

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #8,232 of 16,075
AFAIK over Usb only PCM is possible. Up to 16ch with the correct driver I think.
Atmos bitstream only via HDMI I suppose.

So for USB use software in the PC has to decode Atmos and send it as PCM over USB, if that's possible, I don't know. I'm not using the A16 with a PC.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #8,233 of 16,075
AFAIK over Usb only PCM is possible. Up to 16ch with the correct driver I think.
Atmos bitstream only via HDMI I suppose.
But that seems to be a limitation of the A16 USB driver, other USB devices may be able to accept ATMOS streams - but maybe I'm misreading the description for the Dolby access App. For VLC and Kodi, the A16 USB driver seems to disable streaming of even "normal" DTS and Dolby Digital sound tracks. Does anyone want to ask Ploytech (https://www.usb-audio.com/; the makers of the USB audio device in the A16) if that is a general limitation of their driver or specific to the A16?

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #8,234 of 16,075
“Because of limited bandwidth and lack of processing power, Atmos in home theaters is not rendered the same way as in cinemas. A spatially-coded substream is added to Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus. This substream is an efficient representation of the full, original object-based mix.” In other words, without Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus, there is no Dolby Atmos.

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #8,235 of 16,075
I have a question , as all the inputs hdmi 2.0?
I saw the faq on Smyth page which says only one input is hdmi spec 2.0 , while a release by Smyth on Kickstarter in 2017 they said that all ports will ship with 2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back