Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #7,576 of 16,011
Just so you know.... it wasn't a hard request to fill.... the A8 PRIR files port over to the A16 very easily... and many of those speakers you asked about are already A8 PRIR files just waiting to be ported over to the A16... enjoy your A16..
Thank you again. Look forward to using it when I get my A16.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #7,577 of 16,011
Hi guys new poster, but I've had my A16 for some weeks now and just getting around to playing with it here and there when I have to time to get familiar with the device. I think I'm ready to do some real measurements now and I have some local hifi shops that can probably help me with that. However I'm still unclear on some things.

To test things out, I made a simple prir of my 2ch Bose desktop speakers by just connecting the provided auxiliary cable to the aux input on the speaker and the other end of the cable to the A16's 1-2 aux output port. As the manual instructed I ran the speaker calibration first (so that the A16 can find suitable volumes for the speakers) then ran the prir to take measurements and the results turned out fine. But how does one go about taking measurements of a full theatre room that is already built with multiple speakers.

Since not all AV receivers feature individual speaker RCA inputs on the back, is it just a matter of connecting one end of the aux cord to the aux input that is usually on the front of AV receivers and the other end to the A16, then switching through the eight A16 output ports depending on which speaker is being measured? If so, will all corresponding speakers play their respective sweeping tones even though the aux cord on the AV receiver end has not been moved, as the other end is being cycled through the A16 ports? Can this all be done in a single prir, or will there have to be several created because of the constant switching of ports on the A16?

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #7,578 of 16,011
Just so you know.... it wasn't a hard request to fill.... the A8 PRIR files port over to the A16 very easily... and many of those speakers you asked about are already A8 PRIR files just waiting to be ported over to the A16... enjoy your A16..
Hi Dixter, Do you you know if there is any A8 PRIR files for A16 based on Cabasse high end stereo coaxial speaker lines?
Asking bc i am a truly big fan of this brand..my dream to get a real PRIR based on La Sphere Cabasse flagship spk...

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #7,579 of 16,011
Hey Dixter ! My A16 is not due to arrive before a couple of months but if converting a OOYH room into a PRIR for the A16 is simple, i'd be more than happy to get the Magical Speakers (based on Magico Q3 speakers). I've been using it on OOYH for a few years and it's the one that fits me best. I really have a Out-of-your-head effect and it doesn't sound echoey at all. So, if it requires little effort only to you, i'd be very happy, whenever you get some time ! Thanks

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #7,581 of 16,011
If so, will all corresponding speakers play their respective sweeping tones even though the aux cord on the AV receiver end has not been moved, as the other end is being cycled through the A16 ports?
Unfortunately, no. Measuring an existing complete surround set-up is a pain in the **s now. If the Smyth had implemented the asynchronous measurement method with sweep tones played from a disc or other medium it would have been 5 minutes childs play.

[Edit: now that I edit the post anyway because of a wrong link below: in firmware version 1.80 the asynchronous PRIR measurement method has been implemented, so if it works: problem solved!]

Or if at least the A16 could output 7.1 sweep tones as PCM over HDMI then we could at least measure 7.1 channels in one go without a problem. (And if they had implemented the special measurement mode optimised for using one or two speaker(s) we also wouldn't have to replug the cable from one A16 output to another all the time).
Even if you have an AVR with multi channel analog inputs you still may have a few problems: If it is an atmos system there generally won't be analog inputs for the height channels. (Except if the system contains seperate power amplifiers, you could go straight into those). Next problem: almost no AVR will apply the room correction dsp functions on analog inputs (and of course they will also not work when going straight into the power amplifiers).

So now what can you do? There are some possibilities:
1. Forget about copying the complete system as is, but do a manipulated measurement using the 2 front speakers for all channels (re-positioning yourself relative to the speaker). And this can be done such that you get 1 single 9.1.6 PRIR if you follow Rene Lou's recepe. (That can be adapted if you don't like his specific method of doing certain speakers while sitting outside the normal sweetspot, look for example how audiohobbit is planning to do it).
2. Replug not only the A16 output cable, but also replug the corresponding existing speakers to the front L and R speaker outputs of the AVR (but: switch room correction dsp off, or copy the settings of the corresponding channels to the front L and R channels, not possible on all AVRs).
All a lot of work, not something you would easily do in a shop unless they don't mind you fiddeling on the whole day there!

Rene's recipe: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-488#post-15313315
audiohobbit's plan: [Edit: had the wrong link here, should be:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-505#post-15369819]
(You can combine audiohobbit's re-positioning plan with a slight adjustment with Rene's method to get one single PRIR. audiohobbit combines measuring the front wide speakers with measuring alternative surround speakers at 120 degrees. Just skip the 120 degrees speakers and do the wide speakers only one by one if you want to create one single 9.1.6 PRIR.)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #7,582 of 16,011
for Everyone, is there a way to separate the top spkrs when doing the TEST procedure with the saxophone sound?
My A16 plays all 6 at the same time when Testing my 9.1.6?Making it hard to check their virtual localization individually..
Main menu -> Settings -> System -> Assign solo/mute keys

With firmware 1.75 you can now assign speakers to the "top" group of buttons and bottom numeric keypad buttons separately. The bottom numeric buttons are either (a) direct preset selectors 1-9 if you don't "enable" them to be solo buttons, or (b) solo buttons for speakers of your assignment and choice if you "enable" the keypad group switch, and then press ENTER to drill down one level to do the assignment.

Furthermore, the OH key in the top group can now be assigned up to 7 different speakers as a single solo group. For example, one could assign Ltf, Rtf, Ltm, Rtm, Ltr and Rtr and listen to all six top Atmos speakers together using just the OH key. Note that this new OH group assignment works regardless of whether the Key Pad group is enabled or disabled.

See the 1.75 firmware release notes for pictures and description of these changes. Also section 5.3.1 in the .091 manual for original information about solo keys.

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #7,583 of 16,011
Which Speaker are you interested in... I'll see if I can make you a A16 PRIR for it...
I don't quite get this. Do you have the A8 PRIRs that Darin used for OOYH? I think he has his own format and OOYH doesn't come with native A8 PRIRs I assume?
Otherwise you can't easily convert the OOYH result to an A16 PRIR!?
Or how do you do that?

When doing a PRIR with bookshelf type spkrs , should I set the size spk to S instead of L?
No I don't think so. it's not clear in the manual but I assume that this setting is not used either as the other settings in the PRIR Sound room setup like Path and Gain.
See p. 63 in the manual.
I think the only thing important here is the speaker label and channel assignment. Everything else is (at the moment) not used by the SVS algorithm. The angles are for your info only so that you can remember where the real loudspeakers where in the room. They are not used in the algorithm (this would not be possible either). Everything else may be used in the future ( I don't know how, at the moment) but is not used at the moment.
Just leave the size at L.
Bass management can be done afterwards when setting up the (virtual) Listening room. There you can set the specific speaker to small with a cutoff frequency.

but if Smyth releases synchronous PRIR recording, it would be easy enough to rip the file, play it with any digital player, port it to OOYH, use the HDMI out of your PC to port it to the A16, and do a manLoud with the input. I think it would need to be done with each OOYH speaker, but the results may be most interesting.
You mean the Asynchronous mode...
But either you're missing something or I can not follow you completely. if you want to create an A16 PRIR this is only possible by recording the sweeps via the microphones. Not via HDMI.

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #7,584 of 16,011
I don't quite get this. Do you have the A8 PRIRs that Darin used for OOYH? I think he has his own format and OOYH doesn't come with native A8 PRIRs I assume?
Otherwise you can't easily convert the OOYH result to an A16 PRIR!?
Or how do you do that?

No I don't think so. it's not clear in the manual but I assume that this setting is not used either as the other settings in the PRIR Sound room setup like Path and Gain.
See p. 63 in the manual.
I think the only thing important here is the speaker label and channel assignment. Everything else is (at the moment) not used by the SVS algorithm. The angles are for your info only so that you can remember where the real loudspeakers where in the room. They are not used in the algorithm (this would not be possible either). Everything else may be used in the future ( I don't know how, at the moment) but is not used at the moment.
Just leave the size at L.
Bass management can be done afterwards when setting up the (virtual) Listening room. There you can set the specific speaker to small with a cutoff frequency.

You mean the Asynchronous mode...
But either you're missing something or I can not follow you completely. if you want to create an A16 PRIR this is only possible by recording the sweeps via the microphones. Not via HDMI.

I am not talking about doing a PRIR of the OOYH presets, but rather doing a manLoud adjustment. So it would involve playing whatever file is used for manLOUD on my PC via JRIVER, feeding it into OOYH for the given preset, using the playback on the Realiser to feed the signal to the headphones without any other PRIR loaded into the A16, and having it output the signal to the headphone so an eq curve could be created. So the only part of the procedure that differs, is the manLoud file is sourced from the pc as flltered by OOYH with its preset loaded, rather than from within the Realiser itself.

So when that eq curve is generated, the user would play program material, send it to OOYH before it's output to the A16 over HDMI, the signal would then be processed by the manLoud file (like any other BRIR), and would be able to use headtracking.

I am trying to figure out if that's possible, and how it might be accomplished.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #7,585 of 16,011
I think you're not yet aware how manLOUD works. This works completely inside the A16. An A16 PRIR from the internal memory has to be selected, then theu 32 sub band noises will be convolved with only the HRTF-part of one virtual speaker of this PRIR and played through the headphones.
I see absolutely no way how you can feed this with an external signal.
BUT with an appropriate software the whole manLOUD process could be recreated inside the PC I think. No need for an A16. All you need would be band limited noise signals and an (PEQ) plus a filtering curve for equal loudness. Ok, taking only the HRTF part of the OOYH "PRIR" may not be possible but I would hope that it will also work.
In principle the manLOUD process should be part of OOYH itself! I think one could suggest this idea to Darin.

and would be able to use headtracking
Em, no, definitely not. OOYH has no headtracking, so no info for other look angles, so you can't create a PRIR (or anything??) with headtracking from a source without headtracking.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #7,586 of 16,011
Which page of the manual for the bass management and cutoff frequency?
Asking bc my bookshelf speaker used for the PRIR don t cover enough low freq atm etc..will be good to learn more how to use the bass management options too..

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #7,589 of 16,011
Also, after capturing and building our own PRIR etc..in the case we want to swap some of our virtual spkrs by new spkrs from a different external PRIR done by someone else, do we need to do a ManLoud EQ to incorporate acoustically these new spkr in our PRIR or is there any other process by the a16 to go through? I mean that will the A16 adapt these new spkr to our PRIR most precisely to our own HRTF automatically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back