Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 12, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #6,361 of 15,986
Interesting. I was hoping that 1.02 will already be installed when I get mine, but 1.05 sounds better...
I will tell you tomorrow what FW my unit has if it arrives tomorrow. I could reroute the shipment to an UPS Access Point so I can pick it up there and don't have to be at home when it arrives.

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #6,362 of 15,986
Hi guys!
Just a fan here. Ive been following the A16 since the kickstarter ended and did not get one in time. Im a huge audio/headphone fan and love watching movies and playing games at night why the house sleeps. I got the Creative SXFI amp last year and really like it. To me it is a little better than the Out Of Your Head demo i tried.
Anyways my question is this. How is the A16? Are you guys blown away and are your expectations met ? I am really considering purchasing one since i use headphone every night of the week. Has anyone tried both, the SXFI and the A16?

The way I would put it is, does the SXFI give you the impression you are listening to a 9.2.6 high end speaker system? If not, then you can achieve that with the A16 and that’s the kind of difference you’ll hear. What you can measure is what you will get, very realistic recreation of the speaker system you measure.

For me, none of the virtual headphone surround systems work for me at all. I must not be close to the standard head for HRTF. So the A16 was a revelation for me. The difference is staggering. I frequently forget I’m on headphones especially when the virtual sub kicks in and I think I’m shaking the house and have to double check the receiver is off.

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #6,365 of 15,986
I frequently forget I’m on headphones especially when the virtual sub kicks in and I think I’m shaking the house and have to double check the receiver is off.
Hehe, I know that feeling.
Sometimes I put the headphones down to check if everything is silent "outside"...

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #6,366 of 15,986
Would be interesting to know what’s new, but without release notes it’s pretty much impossible.

I have setup the A16 now and migrated my A8 data, it all seems to work but the audio and picture are out of sync. I have used a preamp before and was able to setup a delay which the A16 doesn’t seem to allow. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this? I really want to get rid of the preamp and use the A16 exclusively, maybe a future firmware update introduces such a function.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #6,367 of 15,986
49B3B99D-168D-457C-A92F-73717D0CE735.jpeg
My unit arrived! The Smyths sent me an email Monday asking for me to confirm my shipping address, and I replied at what would have been 6:35pm their time (after UPS would have sent their last shipment for the day), so it couldn’t have been mailed till Tuesday... two day international shipping!? The Smyths didn’t mess around!

99EC1D7B-8385-48F3-B266-D4864FCEA3B1.jpeg
Curious kitten. She doesn’t know what it is, she was born after the Kickstarter was funded ^__^'`

image.jpg
... seriously though, she’s been in the box for like 4 minutes while I type this. Meanwhile, my packing list mentions “Head-Tracker” but also “2x Head-Tracker cable,” “2x Head-Tracker Extension cable” “2x Head-Tracker Mounting Clip + Foam Backing,” so maybe there are two? It also says there are two rack-mount ears, which I didn’t pay for. Time to coax out the cat, lol.

edit: Too adorable
FCED92C3-0FE1-487F-A6B8-C88F378BC6BF.jpeg

Turns out I got both headtrackers, which is awesome. I filmed an unboxing, which I’m uploading to YouTube now. Anyone have any ideas what the lanyard is for?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #6,369 of 15,986
picture are out of sync.
***... I forgot about this. But my UHD BD Player Panasonic 424 has lipsync on board. And my older Oppo 103 also, I think.

I remember now that lipsync was also something I asked the Smyths about and told them it was important and they said they could do it... everyone knows the rest...

Btw. does anyone know how long the KS page be online? Can they just shut it down if they want to (the Smyths and/or KS themselves)?

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #6,372 of 15,986
My unit arrived! The Smyths sent me an email Monday asking for me to confirm my shipping address, and I replied at what would have been 6:35pm their time (after UPS would have sent their last shipment for the day), so it couldn’t have been mailed till Tuesday... two day international shipping!? The Smyths didn’t mess around!

Congrats !! It's great that units are being sent regularly, though it's a bit frustrating to see all of you guys exploring the possibilities of the A16 when i know that i still have months to wait to get mine...
Evshrug, how were you ranking as a KS backer ?
I hope we'll hear soon from James Smyth for his "weekly" update...

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #6,373 of 15,986
Hi, can you post a link to the video?
EDIT: Found it

Thanks Richter! I wanted to splice in a pic of the remote, and then I added a few more things... and while it was uploading, I had to run out for errands.
Did the unboxing help you guys at all? Wanted to give a good look at the U2 unit since we've mostly seen the headstand version.

Congrats !! It's great that units are being sent regularly, though it's a bit frustrating to see all of you guys exploring the possibilities of the A16 when i know that i still have months to wait to get mine...
Evshrug, how were you ranking as a KS backer ?
I hope we'll hear soon from James Smyth for his "weekly" update...
I backed within the first hour the KS went live, someone else just found my old post where I said I was backer number 32 or something. I should add my backer number to the video description, but I'm in a situation where I can't add it to my signature.

I know the feeling about wait Fox... but after three years, what's a relatively short bit more? At least you know that the product isn't vaporware and is actually being produced! I'm stoked to play with mine a bit... maybe I'll upload another video, would that help at all? I might be able to do a basic setup real quick, but I won't have time to really watch the youtube videos by Smyth until this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to make a setup video, like I have done for DSPs in the past, but I don't think I'll be able to publicly publish my opinions on it other than what I've already shared in the past.

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #6,375 of 15,986
@Evshrug: Thanks for the video, although I have to say it would be more helpful for some if you went through the manual first because there were some errors (e.g. no antenna, this is for the wrist band, and you have to wear that when taking measurements. They had some problems with static so they came up with this solution. The lanyard is for the mic cables, no reset button, that's the IR receiver for the remote, besides it the ambient light detector because the display gets darker when ambient light goes dark, and one indicator LED, the LAN connector is not for FW updstes, at the moment its not used at all afaik, they planned to implement a web server and a web based GUI so that you could operate it from a web browser, but as many other things isn't implemented yet. The remote and HT Slave ports are not used at the moment. )
Don't take this as an offense please and sorry for nitpicking...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back