Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #6,332 of 16,011
Good question. Since you can define multiple look angles I was also wondering that. Up/down would only work if you activate it, IF it is already working for PRIR measurements. For listening vertical headtracking is not working at the moment, this is what they said, but what about creating PRIRs? The menu option is there already (Fig. 8-12) but no one seemed to try this so far?

Concerning command volume: You can boost this up:

Interestingly I can't remember such problems with my A8.
Did you do the level calibration before the PRIR measurement?

Oh nice find on the voice volume. I didn’t recall seeing that setting before. I’ll look for it tonight. It’s hard reading that manual on the phone and flipping though pages back and forth looking for things.

Yes, I do a level calibration between every measurement. You have to as the speakers not active get cleared out when you measure the active one. So I always have to disable precious speaker, activate next speaker, level calibrate, speaker measure, save, repeat, and change the cable connector every two measurements.

Tonight I’m gonna focus on bass management understanding for the different modes. I measured my LS50 without the Rel sub and set as small. Hopefully the bass management blending will do well. Unfortunately when I measured my SW channel it still plays a full range signal and that goes through my ls50 as well since it’s speaker level connections I’m driving the sub. So hopefully that doesn’t mess up the reading too much.

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #6,333 of 16,011
As far as I understand you could enter (adjust via adjust keys) the gain manually. So I think you have to do the level calibration only once, keep the number in mind and set it manually for the next speaker.

bass management understanding for the different modes.
Good luck...

But I think they made this a bit easier with the A16. But it's still a heavily complicated topic.

What I would do and plan to do is to set up each speaker with the sub externally and measure each channel then as fullrange. You have to have a DSP or AV Receiver for that. (And ideally measuring equipment also)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #6,334 of 16,011
As far as I understand you could enter (adjust via adjust keys) the gain manually. So I think you have to do the level calibration only once, keep the number in mind and set it manually for the next speaker.

Good luck...

But I think they made this a bit easier with the A16. But it's still a heavily complicated topic.

What I would do and plan to do is to set up each speaker with the sub externally and measure each channel then as fullrange. You have to have a DSP or AV Receiver for that. (And ideally measuring equipment also)

I thought about that but realized I need to get the numbers around the 0.75 area and by default it is 0.03. You can’t type it directly and have to press the +adj key over 70 times. Holding down buttons doesn’t seem to repeat anything on the realizer. So for me another measurement is less work.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #6,335 of 16,011
Holding down buttons doesn’t seem to repeat anything on the realizer.
ok, thats bad.

Do I understand you correctly: The Realiser measures and set the gain to 0.03 and you crank it up to 0.75?

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #6,336 of 16,011
ok, thats bad.

Do I understand you correctly: The Realiser measures and set the gain to 0.03 and you crank it up to 0.75?

Not quite.

Realiser level calibration sets it to around .75 for actively chosen speakers planned to calibrate. Everything else is set to 0.03. This is why i redo the level calibration for each speaker building up the prir speaker rather then manually try to set the gain for each speaker.

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #6,338 of 16,011
Oh nice find on the voice volume. I didn’t recall seeing that setting before. I’ll look for it tonight. It’s hard reading that manual on the phone and flipping though pages back and forth looking for things.
Even if that setting works as advertised, you could email the Smyths and ask for large "look center" etc. messages to be shown on the display.

Tonight I’m gonna focus on bass management understanding for the different modes. I measured my LS50 without the Rel sub and set as small. Hopefully the bass management blending will do well. Unfortunately when I measured my SW channel it still plays a full range signal and that goes through my ls50 as well since it’s speaker level connections I’m driving the sub. So hopefully that doesn’t mess up the reading too much.
With that kind of setup, you should measure the LS50s as full range speakers and no subwoofer. That would require the Realiser to route the .1 channel in the source signal to the Left / Right speakers or any available full range speakers.

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #6,339 of 16,011
Hi everyone, are there any headfiers in Sydney Australia who can recommend a studio to get PRIRs done. I have a realiser inbound at some stage and I’m keen to get a PRIR from a reputable studio - is anyone else keen on getting their PRIR taken in Sydney?

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #6,340 of 16,011
About how close it should be to the speaker? Might 60 - 80 cm distance be considered as near field?

Suck it and see ... I haven’t been able to experiment myself but I'll try it when/if my A16 arrives

As long as you don't do this in a totally anechoic room, I'll bet that you can recognize that the speakers are very near while listening to that PRIR via Realiser!
I'd claim that even in an anechoic room you'd recognize the proximity of the sound source.

Absolutely. What I'm thinking is that there's a proven benefit to having two speakers pressed against your ears, so there's probably a case for an array of speakers at a distance of, say, a metre circumference. It won't trick you into thinking that there are speakers in your room but it will give a strong sense of directional surround sound which is, after all, the rainbow we're chasing.

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #6,341 of 16,011
On a side note. I was surprised at the pretty realistic results from the built in BBC Neumann head 9.2.6 profile once I did the equal loudness 80 adjustment. For reference, no other virtual headphone surround system remotely works on me, so for this one to work relatively well is a big thing. This realiser exchange may prove to be more useful than I thought.

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #6,342 of 16,011
Anyone have a report on the Blackbird Studio negotiation?

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #6,343 of 16,011
Anyone have a report on the Blackbird Studio negotiation?
I was just coming here to report.

I hadn't heard anything back from the Blackbird studio manager after our phone conversation last Thursday which I'd followed with an email describing in more detail what the A16 was and what we wanted to do. I also provided the URL to the Smyth web site and a statement that it would be Lorr Kramer who'd be our "master engineer", interfacing through their own studio engineer to assist us. Last week he said he would need to discuss our proposal with his management before going any further.

So today I followed up with another email, asking him if they'd had a chance to review our request to book their Studio C if possible, probably for a few days, in order to allow Lorr to conduct individual personal PRIR measurement sessions for perhaps 10-20 (but actually unknown at this moment) A16 owners. And I did hear back from him today:

Darryl,
We are not interested in your proposal, at this time.
Thanks,-Rolff

So, unfortunately, it looks like Nashville's Blackbird Studio C is not going to happen for Dolby Atmos PRIR measurements the way we'd hoped it would. I'm not entirely surprised.

Sorry.

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #6,344 of 16,011
I was just coming here to report.

I hadn't heard anything back from the Blackbird studio manager after our phone conversation last Thursday which I'd followed with an email describing in more detail what the A16 was and what we wanted to do. I also provided the URL to the Smyth web site and a statement that it would be Lorr Kramer who'd be our "master engineer", interfacing through their own studio engineer to assist us. Last week he said he would need to discuss our proposal with his management before going any further.

So today I followed up with another email, asking him if they'd had a chance to review our request to book their Studio C if possible, probably for a few days, in order to allow Lorr to conduct individual personal PRIR measurement sessions for perhaps 10-20 (but actually unknown at this moment) A16 owners. And I did hear back from him today:

Darryl,
We are not interested in your proposal, at this time.
Thanks,-Rolff

So, unfortunately, it looks like Nashville's Blackbird Studio C is not going to happen for Dolby Atmos PRIR measurements the way we'd hoped it would. I'm not entirely surprised.

Sorry.
Darryl, thanks for taking the lead and giving it a shot on our behalf.

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #6,345 of 16,011
I'm sorry to hear about that. Would have been a nice chance for you in the US to get a high quality ATMOS PRIR. I hope you find another studio that is more willingly to help you creating a PRIR.

Or someone with a very good home theatre. There certainly are a bunch of guys that have studio grade installations in their homes. I think the avsforums will be a good place to seek, also for Australia located home theater users and other nationalities I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back