Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 14, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #3,871 of 16,035
it's simple, they have taken 2 dollars for each of your whining or defamation posts on head-fi. but then they decided to give you a discount because they noticed how you're always right, making constructive comments, and showing nothing but love and respect to your fellow members.
no explanation is ever going to satisfy you anyway, so why not this one?

OMG LOL

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #3,872 of 16,035
I had preordered. My guess is that Smyth filed the $1 dispute to delay payment. Whatever the reason, he has been extremely dishonest. I will give him until Tuesday to prove he’s not a liar and a cheat.

My read is that he paid you the money to go away and stop complaining but you found something to complain about anyway, so you're out $77 for goods you will never receive and he's out $1800 for a service you're refusing to provide him. Looked at that way I'd say you're the winner. Congratulations.

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #3,873 of 16,035
I had preordered. My guess is that Smyth filed the $1 dispute to delay payment. Whatever the reason, he has been extremely dishonest. I will give him until Tuesday to prove he’s not a liar and a cheat.
In case of my refund claim he was truly generous. His answer was positive from the very beginning and he even gave me the opportunity to sell my place in queue myself and thus get more than I originally payed and even (implicitly) to give up giving up. Now it is my own problem and not his that nobody is interested in such a deal, even with a discount of 50%. So, if my query about the Auro 3D alternative and about accepting HD formats uncertainty does not result in a satisfactory answer in the next few days, I will get back to the ordinary refund and probably have to pay Paypal fee.

Oct 14, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #3,874 of 16,035
He should have gotten his money back with interest, not a Paypal deduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 14, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #3,875 of 16,035
He should have gotten his money back with interest, not a Paypal deduction.

He shouldn't have gotten anything back since it was either a kickstarter or a preorder without definite delivery date he put his money in.
If he doesn't understand the concept of crowdfunding or can't handle the waiting times involved with them and other systems like group buys, pre-orders for yet to be developed products and massdrops he should refrain from putting his money in them and annoying others with his negativism.

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #3,876 of 16,035
He shouldn't have gotten anything back since it was either a kickstarter or a preorder without definite delivery date he put his money in.
If he doesn't understand the concept of crowdfunding or can't handle the waiting times involved with them and other systems like group buys, pre-orders for yet to be developed products and massdrops he should refrain from putting his money in them and annoying others with his negativism.

Sorry Richard, I know this offends your quasi-religious beliefs but Smyth Unrealized sold pre-orders under false pretenses. Pre-orders are not crowd funding.

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #3,877 of 16,035
Sorry Richard, I know this offends your quasi-religious beliefs but Smyth Unrealized sold pre-orders under false pretenses. Pre-orders are not crowd funding.

By the time a company is accepting pre-orders, it is representing that it definitely is going to have a product available to ship in a definite specified time period. Does not seem to me that the Smyths were fully candid about that, probably b/c they needed the cash infusion just to keep the concern a "going concern."

When did they start accepting "preorders"? Two years ago? Jeesh.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #3,878 of 16,035
At first, I was disappointed because I thought a product with the SVS algorithm should be as affordable as a cell phone.

But now I am completely convinced Dr. Choueiri and the Smyth brothers took the right decision with their pricing.

Thanks God they all currently have support from third parties to industrialize their products and to deal with their costumer base. They need to keep their minds focused on personal HRTF synthesis. I am looking forward to see from their labs efficient algorithms to synthesize personal HRTFs. Then they will be able to mass produce components to the consumer market that won’t need to have available so many options in the user interface.

I would be reluctant to market the A16 to the consumer market. I guess they might have less dissonance with b2b.

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #3,879 of 16,035
At first, I was disappointed because I thought a product with the SVS algorithm should be as affordable as a cell phone.

But now I am completely convinced Dr. Choueiri and the Smyth brothers took the right decision with their pricing.

Thanks God they all currently have support from third parties to industrialize their products and to deal with their costumer base. They need to keep their minds focused on personal HRTF synthesis. I am looking forward to see from their labs efficient algorithms to synthesize personal HRTFs. Then they will be able to mass produce components to the consumer market that won’t need to have available so many options in the user interface.

I would be reluctant to market the A16 to the consumer market. I guess they might have less dissonance with b2b.

Which is another good point. Is the Smyth Realizer going to be able to produce reliable, repeatable results by anyone who is not a recording engineer? If not what's the point of the average audiophile purchasing it?

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #3,880 of 16,035
Which is another good point. Is the Smyth Realizer going to be able to produce reliable, repeatable results by anyone who is not a recording engineer? If not what's the point of the average audiophile purchasing it?

(Other than sound professionals) the people who are going to get the most out of the A16 are hobbyists, but Smyth himself has said that people significantly underused the A8. Clearly this will be a sophisticated device but - if you really want to - there's no reason why an amateur shouldn't get good results.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #3,881 of 16,035
(Other than sound professionals) the people who are going to get the most out of the A16 are hobbyists, but Smyth himself has said that people significantly underused the A8. Clearly this will be a sophisticated device but - if you really want to - there's no reason why an amateur shouldn't get good results.

Especially if you invest in a good measurement done at a recording studio.

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #3,883 of 16,035
How many electronic devices do we really use to their full potential? As long as it gives me a realistic surround-sound experience through headphones, which by all indications it will, I'll be happy.

Very true.

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #3,884 of 16,035
How many electronic devices do we really use to their full potential? As long as it gives me a realistic surround-sound experience through headphones, which by all indications it will, I'll be happy.

This is where I’m at. I have a couple of pretty basic 5.1 and 7.1 rooms that I’ll probably be able to capture. I’ll also probably the pre-installed rooms too. All I’m looking for is something that can trick my ears and brain into thinking it’s listening to a real surround setup.

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,885 of 16,035

Very true.

This is where I’m at. I have a couple of pretty basic 5.1 and 7.1 rooms that I’ll probably be able to capture. I’ll also probably the pre-installed rooms too. All I’m looking for is something that can trick my ears and brain into thinking it’s listening to a real surround setup.

Ditto!
I'll probably be going with one of the pre-made PRIRs from the Smyth site. If I know myself I'll never get to traveling I don't know how far to get a measurement in a theater studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back