Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 9, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #3,841 of 16,011
Thank you, Fox1977, for your valuable mediation. At the same time, shame on Smyth Research for hiding this from us.
Those specs reductions may be marginal for some or even for most of our members, but for me, unfortunately, they are clear deal breaker. HD mch music and particularly the Auro-3D format (for example, recordings from Morten Lindberg in Auro-3D, 7.1.4, 96 kHz and those from the Auro 3D label itself) were the crucial reason for paying for Realiser back in 2016.
As you may know, I was standing on the border line of giving up already, so it was easy to cross it. So, I requested a refund and James Smyth at first asked me to reconsider, because -
We apologize about the wait and understand your frustrations. We our currently in the final stage of testing and will start to ship very soon.
- but then he agreed and even gave me permission to sell my place in queue to some of my colleagues at the forum and -
The way we do it is that we will contact you just before we ship and ask you for your shipping address.
At this point you can provide the new customer and shipping details, and then the A16 will be shipped to the new customer and shipping address.
Then I kindly asked him to make an exception this time because of my believing that the buyer would be much more confident of this delicate transaction if his name reaches its place immediately. And he answered positively -
OK that is fine, the new customer will replace you as our KickStarter customer.
Please send over the new customers details and I will update the database.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3,842 of 16,011
I don't understand why especially Auro causes problems now, they should be glad about every device that can decode Auro.
It's the founder of the decoding chip that is in conflict with Auro and blocks the decoding feature. I can imagine that Auro would not prevent the A16 from doing the job...

@mlkri : it's a pity to give up so close to the finish line (fingers crossed !!) but i understand you. However, the founder may eventually unlock the decoding chip feature for Auro format if they manage to find an agreement on whatever problem that opposes them.
Even if you were keeping it for a while, given the new very high price, you could resell it in a few months and still make a substantial benefit on it...

James Smyth said:
We (...) will start to ship very soon

Hope dies last, i heard...

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #3,843 of 16,011
First of all, I apologize for posting forbidden content! I didn't know that rule.

@mlkri : it's a pity to give up so close to the finish line (fingers crossed !!) but i understand you. However, the founder may eventually unlock the decoding chip feature for Auro format if they manage to find an agreement on whatever problem that opposes them.
Even if you were keeping it for a while, given the new very high price, you could resell it in a few months and still make a substantial benefit on it...
Yes, thank you, but I'm afraid there will be no big demand for unlocking Auro, because it seems to me most Realiser users will consider that problem marginal ...
Edit: ... Yes, the finish line is close, but now it is not only the delay any more ... And regarding waiting and reselling - it would include additional packing, shipping, possible fees ...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #3,844 of 16,011
It's the founder of the decoding chip that is in conflict with Auro and blocks the decoding feature.
Yes but why is he in conflict with Auro? I suppose it's something the chip does or does not that doesn't please Auro, or it's a licensing problem (licensing fee etc.).
Therefore I think it's Auro that's blocking things.

With the A16 one could have the unique ability to switch between Atmos/DTS-X and Auro Setups if you have the correct PRIRs for all the Setups. Most people with speakers and an AV-Receiver have to decide how they set their speakers up, Atmos or Auro-Layout, with the Realiser you won't have that problem.
What's missing though is the Auromatic for upmixing. I never heard it myself but most people report that upmixing with the Auromatic is especially excellent with music content.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,845 of 16,011
The A16 cannot be released or put on sale until all formats advertised on the Smyth Research and Heavenly Sounds websites are available and working correctly, which have included (as discussed on this thread) Dolby Atmos, DTS X & Auro and other formats. If any of the formats are not available then this could be classed as "False Advertising" by Smyth Research and Heavenly Sounds, they would be in trouble with the "Advertising Standards Authority" for putting false information on their websites that a product has a format available, when it has not. I think that all the formats will be available on the A16 before the release date. (Whenever that will be)

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #3,847 of 16,011
The A16 cannot be released or put on sale until all formats advertised on the Smyth Research and Heavenly Sounds websites are available and working correctly, which have included (as discussed on this thread) Dolby Atmos, DTS X & Auro and other formats. If any of the formats are not available then this could be classed as "False Advertising" by Smyth Research and Heavenly Sounds, they would be in trouble with the "Advertising Standards Authority" for putting false information on their websites that a product has a format available, when it has not. I think that all the formats will be available on the A16 before the release date. (Whenever that will be)

Even then, i don't think it would prevent them from delivering the units to the Kickstarter backers and the pre-orders. Maybe they would wait till the Auro-3D decoding feature is unlocked, but anyway it's still planned to add a software decoding of this format, so it would not be falsed advertising, i think...

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #3,848 of 16,011

I very much doubt that this is correct. The product that I ordered had a 1/4” instrument input, which they omitted as they moved from prototype to production unit. If things change, you just have to roll with it or cancel your order.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #3,849 of 16,011
I agree that as the A16 is not on retail sale then modifications can be made and that kickstarters and pre-order customers accepted that there may be changes being made during production including possible removal of a format. Hypothetically if Auro was removed from the A16 then it should also be removed from the websites. The new websites for retail customers are up and showing all the formats available to a retail customer, so I assume they will also be available to kickstarter and pre-order customers. That is what I meant, retail customers that purchase the A16 will be expecting all the formats as advertised. Sorry if there was confusion.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #3,850 of 16,011
Thank you, Fox1977, for your valuable mediation. At the same time, shame on Smyth Research for hiding this from us.
Those specs reductions may be marginal for some or even for most of our members, but for me, unfortunately, they are clear deal breaker. HD mch music and particularly the Auro-3D format (for example, recordings from Morten Lindberg in Auro-3D, 7.1.4, 96 kHz and those from the Auro 3D label itself) were the crucial reason for paying for Realiser back in 2016.
As you may know, I was standing on the border line of giving up already, so it was easy to cross it. So, I requested a refund and James Smyth at first asked me to reconsider, because -

- but then he agreed and even gave me permission to sell my place in queue to some of my colleagues at the forum and -

Then I kindly asked him to make an exception this time because of my believing that the buyer would be much more confident of this delicate transaction if his name reaches its place immediately. And he answered positively -
Whilst I will listen to multi channel music, the use for movies and tv shows will be far greater for me. Kudos for sticking to your convictions and seeking your refund. I truly hope you don't regret it, the retail price is so much more money. But completely worth it of course, when used to mimick systems costing way more than its asking price.

May I ask did you tell James that it was the loss of Auro that made you want a refund? If so did he respond directly to that?

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #3,851 of 16,011
Whilst I will listen to multi channel music, the use for movies and tv shows will be far greater for me. Kudos for sticking to your convictions and seeking your refund. I truly hope you don't regret it, the retail price is so much more money. But completely worth it of course, when used to mimick systems costing way more than its asking price.

May I ask did you tell James that it was the loss of Auro that made you want a refund? If so did he respond directly to that?
Yes, I mentioned missing Auro, I mentioned my impression of A16 not being the same device any more, then the sad fact that we didn't learn about the reduced specs from him ...
But, he didn't say a word in defense of his product and the new specs. It was strange to me, but I thought it was because of the fact that granting a refund and then selling the device at the new price brings additional money to the company. And then came the big twist - he granted ME the possibility to get more then I payed! And even the implicit possibility not to communicate the new name and thus stay in the game!
That was really generous from him and he actually kind of disarmed me...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #3,854 of 16,011
Yisheng Feiyang and Smyth SVS latest technology products shocked the 2018 China Art Education Expo.

While searching found this article which is interesting with regards to the people trying out the Realiser A16 at the show. It also shows images of the Realiser 2U on a demonstration rack.

Sorry for the long address includes English translation
https://translate.google.com/transl...enews-detailview-30161.htm&edit-text=&act=url

Another page from the same outlet
https://translate.google.com/transl...=https://m.midifan.com/news_body.php?id=30141

Here is the original page to play video
https://www.midifan.com/modulenews-detailview-30141.htm?fromM=1

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #3,855 of 16,011
As the core acoustic product of the 18-year main push, Shengling Multimedia Technology will officially launch the first mature earphone product with SVS digital audio processing technology early next year, which also gives us more expectations for Smyth's "black magic".

It seems to say that next year will be releasede headphones that include SVS technology ! (but Google Translate is not 100% reliable and can lead to misunderstandings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back