Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 6, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #3,812 of 15,986
I don't think that you have put the above in the right order and i think he has received his money back.
I have put it in the order that TedTimmis has posted it. The last one today, the others September 25. If someone has put it in the wrong order it was TedTimmis, not me.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #3,813 of 15,986
Right on Mlkri! I’m glad someone other than me is standing up to the bobble-heads. Incidentally, I still haven’t received my refund although I’m hoping that will come soon.

Even if I get my refund, I have to admit that this thread has become fascinating. Although it is dominated by group-think (much like the American Left), I am encouraged by people of character who challenge stupidity and refuse to go along with the herd.
Thank you Ted, glad to hear from you. Excellent quote from Brian Appleyard, isn't it? But George Orwell is even better - he understood and predicted all that in advance! I grew up in a communistic totalitarian environment, so I understand it very well too.
Take care, man, when you are out of the herd, you can expect attacks from all directions. I am still waiting to hear next update and some news from France.
Best regards,
Mladen

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #3,819 of 15,986
By Xmas? Ain't gonna happen! Unless you believe in Santa Clauses, and are earnestly expecting an A-16 to fly through your chimney at midnight on Christmas eve, landing on your kitchen table by Christmas morning, and waiting to serve you your warm coffee when you wake up! If you are, then Good luck with that s..t, and merry Christmas in advance!

Don't believe that? Mark it on the wall somewhere, and if you get yours before the end of the year, remind me of it, and I shall gladly eat crow! Wait, I'll actually celebrate with you, given how badly I want mine too, but I digress...

Until that happens, I'll always be reminded here of a street of false promises, broken dreams, half-baked prototypes, and that old American joke about impatient kids traveling with their parents, and asking after every thirty minutes or so, "Are we there yet"?... "Are we there yet"?

Of Course, as we always say on Head-fi, YMMV :)

And to make all this even more fun and sweet for the forum thought police, here's a nice little montage..(Hey, keep your humor cap on, and don't go all paranoid on me : it's just Pink Floyd, for Pete's sake!):

6b7a085fdeeeab5d0971fc190206b847_w200.gif

06-Manifest.gif
tumblr_nhx2cqVnnC1qesseao1_500.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #3,820 of 15,986
First post on this thread was May 7, 2016 which means this thread will observe its 2.5 year anniversary on November 7th. It will be interesting if the Smyths even have another update to offer by then.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #3,821 of 15,986
I don’t have any faith that we’ll see shipment until next year, but if it were to arrive by Christmas the only chance of that happening is an update in the next few weeks saying they’ve completed development of everything, passed certification, and are boxing them up to ship.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #3,822 of 15,986
By Xmas? Ain't gonna happen! Unless you believe in Santa Clauses, and are earnestly expecting an A-16 to fly through your chimney at midnight on Christmas eve, landing on your kitchen table by Christmas morning, and waiting to serve you your warm coffee when you wake up! If you are, then Good luck with that s..t, and merry Christmas in advance!

Don't believe that? Mark it on the wall somewhere, and if you get yours before the end of the year, remind me of it, and I shall gladly eat crow! Wait, I'll actually celebrate with you, given how badly I want mine too, but I digress...

Until that happens, I'll always be reminded here of a street of false promises, broken dreams, half-baked prototypes, and that old American joke about impatient kids traveling with their parents, and asking after every thirty minutes or so, "Are we there yet"?... "Are we there yet"?

Of Course, as we always say on Head-fi, YMMV :)

And to make all this even more fun and sweet for the forum thought police, here's a nice little montage..(Hey, keep your humor cap on, and don't go all paranoid on me : it's just Pink Floyd, for Pete's sake!):
Really strong and terrifying illustrations of single-mindedness!
Regarding YMMV (Your mileage may vary), in case I understand it properly, as a synonym for pluralistic discussion, then I think it is a perfect thing for our thread.
Coming back to 'The Wall', last year I bought the Roger Waters' live version, with the Dolby Atmos audio track, for the use - you may guess - with the Realiser A16. And now I would like to ask you, and the other colleagues too, how do you understand one thing for which I am not certain myself. So, when Waters acts in a nazi fashion, shooting from his machine gun, the audience applauds in ecstasy. Now, is it the previously agreed acting, or is it spontaneous reaction of the rock concert audience, which is how it seems to me and in which case it looks very strange and terrifying? Namely, in that case it would mean that one obviously anti-war artistic intention produces a clear war enthusiasm!

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #3,823 of 15,986
The Wall is definitely one of the many discs I plan to see again when I get the A16, but to answer your question, I think the audience is simply cheering along to the artist on stage, doing whatever he asks. It's typical concert behavior, even if it is ironic that in this case they are like the army that Waters despises so much.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #3,824 of 15,986
Really strong and terrifying illustrations of single-mindedness!
Regarding YMMV (Your mileage may vary), in case I understand it properly, as a synonym for pluralistic discussion, then I think it is a perfect thing for our thread.
Coming back to 'The Wall', last year I bought the Roger Waters' live version, with the Dolby Atmos audio track, for the use - you may guess - with the Realiser A16. And now I would like to ask you, and the other colleagues too, how do you understand one thing for which I am not certain myself. So, when Waters acts in a nazi fashion, shooting from his machine gun, the audience applauds in ecstasy. Now, is it the previously agreed acting, or is it spontaneous reaction of the rock concert audience, which is how it seems to me and in which case it looks very strange and terrifying? Namely, in that case it would mean that one obviously anti-war artistic intention produces a clear war enthusiasm!

I have a theory in response to your question, even though, I am not sure whether you will find it satisfactory or not but here goes :

Rock concerts, are to an important extent, like video games, the cinema , and theater, in that they provide "make believe" worlds, in which artists, their audiences and spectators are allowed--or allowed to take--the license to enact, re-enact, enjoy fantasy scenarios, nightmare scenarios, horror scenarios, apocalyptic scenarios, etc. etc.in the name of entertainment and recreation, and yes, sometimes in the name of social satire and political commentary. Note that such scenarios include many that most of the participants do not expect to encounter, experience, and/or cannot even tolerate in their so-called "real lives--", and yet they can be enriching and even therapeutic and educational in several ways, as long as they can be experienced in a vicarious, and relatively "harmless" way, as entertainment, and/or social satire.

We all know how "art" and fiction can make the most horrendous and ugly things attractive and easily consumable in the theater or in video games...As "entertainment," this process works well most of the time, as long as the participants who are mentally competent, know and accept the line that separates that world of "make-believe" which makes them possible, from what they consider to be the "real world," and they always respect, and honor that line.

However, as in all things human, not everyone is always willing or able to respect that line, so sometimes, it unfortunately gets crossed, and some nightmare and horror scenarios have often ways of crossing over to the hither side of the barrier,--to cite just one unpleasant and tragic example, the Aurora Dark knight Movie Theater shootings--and that is why there is always some cause for caution and concern entailed in such activities

In the example you cite involving "The Wall," I can surmise that it worked as "entertainment" because, no matter how crazy and chaotic things got at the concert, both Waters and his audience knew and tacitly agreed it was all in "good theatrical fun," and that Waters was never really going to shoot, kill, or abuse anybody in real life (even while trying to make important political statements), and that he might actually have a real life revulsion for the Nazis he was imitating. One cannot, unfortunately, say the same for the self-proclaimed Joker, James Holmes, who had apparently lost his sanity on his travels, and left a horrendous massacre in his wake in a movie theater.

Which is why the role of the police, while often problematic enough on its own (precisely because the police too are as "human," and "frail" as the people they're policing), is necessary and inevitable in any civilized society...

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #3,825 of 15,986
For those that would like to know about my experience with the Realiser and headphones, I post this from my other comments.

Just pulled the trigger on the Hifiman Ananda.

Currently have the HE400i, I previously had them hooked up to a speaker amp at 250wpc, and it was awesome. MF A308CR pre/power combo.
Looking to do the same with the Ananda, although the awesome MF is now gone, probably looking at ICEpower class D/250-500wpc into 8 ohm.

I know this seems weird and absurdly dangerous for the cans, but the HE400i's/MF A308CR against all recommendations from the Headfi community absolutely blew away my old Stax SR-007/007t combo. I say this for movie reproduction using an A8 Realiser, so not the ordinary comparison. The problem with the SR007 is the amplification power, just not enough unless you spend $6k on the BHSE at 200w. I tried a class A 60wpc speaker amp with the HE400i, and it was unsatisfactory, largely due to the fact that, the volume control could not be turned up loud enough to fill the dynamic range without introducing horrible hiss. The hiss is due to the ohm mismatch between speaker amps and higher impedance headphones.

The 60wpc amp was at about 1 o'clock, and the 250wpc amp was at about 10 o'clock.

When I brought my A8 Realiser to a Hifi store to try different headphones, the SR009 and the HE1000 were the best. At that time the HEX was not present for audition, not sure it was even in production. The HE1000 has a holographic presentation and openness that just works with the Realiser perfectly, likely due to the thin diaphragm. It enhances the Realiser's ability to recreate speakers in headphones, and brings up a whole new level.

Funds always held me back from stepping up to the HE1000, but now I hope the Ananda will fill that void and deliver the same effects for the Realiser that the HE1000 does at a considerable discount. When I auditioned the HE1000 vs the HEX some time back, I noticed the same holographic imaging present in both cans, probably due to the thinness of the diaphragm.

Currently using an old iFi iCan, damn good amplifier for what it is, but not the liquid ultra high fidelity I remember from MF gear, that headroom really brings it up another level.

Finally I have moved on from the HE400i after years of waiting for a HEX or HE1000 in my price range, I have only ever seen 1 or 2 HEX even come up on the used market here in Australia and the HE1000 always sold way above what I could afford at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back