Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 18, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #3,440 of 15,992
One is #0001 (analog-only, no HDMI) from April 2009 (after waiting for it from September 2004, truly 5 years... so the current wait for the A16 is no problem for me). Second A8 is from Sept 2012, and is of the new HDMI-enabled type.

I have two main viewing locations with full A/V capability, both of which have a Realiser A8 and Stax amp/headphones. I'd say I use them 50-50 equally, regularly every day. Both of which are comfortable seating and both are superb video setups.

(1) The HDMI A8 is in my master bedroom and is based around a 2012-vintage Panny 65VT50 plasma and 2012-vintage Stax SR-009/SRM-007tII, along with an Oppo BDP-103 (with two external HDMI inputs handling my Spectrum-provided HDTV through my Windows Media Center HTPC and Linksys DMA2100 extender) and a Yamaha RX-V867 AVR. I also have an Audio-GD NFB9 external DAC fed from the optical output of the A8, and feeding my Stax setup via XLR cables.

Audio/video HDMI1 out of the 103 goes to the Yamaha and audio-only HDMI2 out of the 103 goes to the A8's HDMI input. The 103 is configured for "split A/V" (i.e. video-only out HDMI1 when active power-on HDMI2 connection is sensed, and audio-only out HDMI2 sent to the Realiser when it is powered on). It is also set to decode all multi-channel audio source and deliver discrete multi-channel LPCM output via HDMI2 directly to the A8's HDMI input (or via HDMI1 along with video if the A8 is powered off).

HDMI1 out of the Yamaha goes to the Panny HDMI2 (ARC-enabled) input. Note that the Yamaha AVR doesn't have the ability to send out decoded discrete multi-channel LPCM from its two HDMI outputs. They are expected to be connected to a TV only capable of 2-channel stereo audio. So as is true with all Yamaha AVRs, HDMI1/2 digital audio out of the Yamaha is ALWAYS only 2-channel stereo (downmixed to 2-channels if necessary from a multi-channel source), hence why I have the HDMI A8 (which requires upstream decoding of multi-channel audio and multi-channel HDMI delivery via LPCM) connected to audio-only HDMI2 out of the 103.

In addition to the HDMI Realiser at this location, this setup of combined A/V through the Yamaha (from HDMI1 of the 103) also optionally supports the real 2-channel stereo speakers in my bedroom (via Zone2 "party mode" on the Yamaha) if I just don't want to listen through headphones at that moment. In this situation the A8 is powered off so that the presence of an HDMI2 connection for the 103 is not "sensed", and both multi-channel LPCM digital audio and video are combined and delivered out of HDMI1 to the Yamaha's HDMI input.

(2) The analog-only A8 (which is where I plan to replace it with an HDMI-enabled A16, whenever it arrives) is in my loft office and is based around a brand new 2017-vintage 55" LG OLED C7P and 1995-vintage Stax SR-Omega/SRM-T1S, along with an Oppo UDP-203 and no AVRj. I also have an Oppo Sonica external DAC fed from both (a) the optical output of the A8 as well as (b) from the coaxial output of the 203, and feeding my Stax setup via XLR cables out of the DAC to an XLR input of my vintage Threshold T2 audio receiver. The T2 feeds XLR to my T200 amplifier which supports my 2-channel stereo Thiel CS3.6 speakers for when I want to just listen to stereo sound through speakers. The T2 also feeds XLR to the Stax amp for when I want to listen to multi-channel sound through Stax headphones.

The Oppo 203 only has one external HDMI input so I feed it from a an external StarTech 4K HDR 4-in/1-out HDMI switch to support my multiple sources (including HTPC DVR as well as Roku Ultra). The 203's (ARC-enabled) video-only HDMI1 output is connected directly to the LG. The 203's 8-channel decoded analog preamp audio outputs are connected to the 8-channel analog inputs of the A8. When the A16 arrives its HDMI input will be connected to the audio-only HDM2 output of the 203. Since the A16 contains its own built-in decoding capability I will have an option to let the 203 do the decoding and deliver multi-channel LPCM (as I do with the 103), or just deliver bitstream to the A16 and let it get decoded there.

I have the 203 configured to have its S/PDIF coaxial (and optical) output to deliver down-mixed 2-channel stereo, going to the Oppo Sonica DAC's coaxial input. So this supports listening to ordinary 2-channel stereo sound out of the 203 through my Thiel speakers if I want to, same as I use Yamaha Zone2 "party mode" in my bedroom if I want to listen to speakers there. And if I want to listen to multi-channel audio through the A8 and headphones, I use the Oppo Sonica DAC's optical input fed from the optical output of the A8 (which is being fed through its 7.1 analog inputs from the 7.1 analog preamp outputs of the 203).

The Panny has been ISF calibrated by D-Nice twice, once originally back in April 2013. Most recently in June 2018 I had D-Nice return to re-calibrate the Panny again for ISF day/night, as well as also calibrating my newly purchased C7 during this same visit two months ago also for ISF day/night, HDR and Dolby Vision. Both TV's provide truly stunning video images.

Both Realiser's use the same original 5.1 PRIR I had personally measured at AIX here in LA from June 2009 and stored as the P1 default power-on preset. I use this default P1 preset for watching everyday HDTV as well as for any 5.1 audio on disc movies or streaming. I also have a second original 7.1 PRIR also taken personally at AIX on that same June 2009 date stored as the P2 preset, for whenever I'm listening to 7.1 audio from any source. I do not EVER use any of the several other PRIR's I've been personally measured for.

I also have the default volume level on my P1/P2 presets set to -10db, along with "line level" output on the volume controls of my Audio-GD and Oppo DAC's. I've adjusted the final [rotating dial] available volume control on both of my Stax amps to be "2 o'clock', which "matches" the level of what the DAC is feeding it, so that I virtually never have to further adjust the Stax amp volume up or down when listening to anything. The default power-on volume levels of all components in the system almost always produce by default the volume I want to hear through my headphones, though occasionally a particular HDTV channel or other source is a bit non-standard and I have to turn the Stax amp volume up or down as required from 2 o'clock.

I confess that for the longest time I did not use the head tracker, with either A8. I had decided I was simply always looking straight ahead at the TV screen anyway and never turned, so why should I care about complicating things?

But since the April SOCAL CanJam show and my A16 demo (which did use a head tracker) I decided to reverse my long followed no HT setup. So I went hunting for either or both of my head trackers, which both turned out to be in their corresponding original product cartons which I had in storage. Unfortunately the battery on my 2009 HT had apparently died long ago from non-use and not being left to charge in its A8 USB socket. Lorr said if I wanted to I would have to send it to England for battery replacement (and that the new A16 HT is not compatible with the A8, so I couldn't just buy another A16 HT). But fortunately I did also have my 2012 HT, whose battery had very luckily NOT died even though it had not been used or charged in the past six years. And I was thankfully able to charge it back up and begin using it, on both of my A8's.

I actually did actually have the two HT brackets, but only one was attached, i.e. "rubber-banded" to the plastic headband of my Stax SR-Omega. Turns out the IR receiver is much more conveniently plugged into the A8 and physically positioned sitting on top of a piece of equipment in my rack (BELOW the LG C7 which is high up and sits on top of the rack), to face my seating location in my office/loft location. I simply had never in all these years ever actually plugged in the HT itself to the bracket, to listen using that functionality, but I do now.

As it turns out my bedroom Panny wall-mounted setup located about 15 feet from the A8 in the adjacent equipment rack doesn't lend itself quite so easily where I would need to clip the IR receiver onto the top of the TV and then run the wire through the wall behind it and over and out to the A8. So I probably will still never use the HT in my bedroom setup, but will likely only now use it in my loft/office A8 setup where it is so easy to position. And I will continue to use the new A16 HT when that situation exists.

I never did actually send the "dead" HT back to Ireland for battery replacement, although I might just do that one day.
Excellent post. You waited 5 years for your A8 to materialize so I appreciate your perspective. I fully anticipate that it won’t take that long for the A16 to ship(as everyone knows, we’ve been waiting 2 years at this point) and, based on nothing, I expect to see my A16 arrive on my doorstep some time before or by the end of 2019. We all love Christmas but I see no reason why the Smyths would set such a deadline for themselves. Rather, I see them as perfectionists who will not release a product until they decide that it’s ready.

As I see it, the similarity between the A8 and the A16 from a production standpoint has to do with the apparent and perhaps true situation in which the Smyths are a programming team of two doing all of the work. Asking them to farm out the programming work might be like Rob Watts to do the same for Chord products. Is there really anyone in the world with the system modeling experience that the Smyths possess? I don’t think so.

Dsperber, I’m forever jealous of the fact that you were able to obtain an AIX PRIR while AIX Studios still existed. Sadly, that ship has sailed!

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #3,441 of 15,992
Dsperber, I’m forever jealous of the fact that you were able to obtain an AIX PRIR while AIX Studios still existed. Sadly, that ship has sailed!
The following suggests something different:
Oh... one more piece of terrific possibly-could-happen news.

Turns out Stephen has explored with Mark Waldrep (of AIX) the possiblity of arranging for use of the AIX sound room as a location to schedule 9.1.6 Atmos calibrations "in bulk" for desiring A16 owners, say over a weekend when the studio is not being used. Smyth would bring their six "height" speakers and set them up in the room temporarily, to go along with the rest of the existing B&W speakers and other electronics already in the AIX room. And apparently Mark is positive on the idea. Nothing definite at all yet, but Stephen believes this seems like it has a very good chance of happening.

Of course this would be fantastic, if it comes to pass. In the past the A8 calibrations involved booking the studio for an hour, but if the additional speakers could be brought over and a "weekend pass" could be arranged, and a whole list of anxious A16 users lined up for AIX/Atmos measurements (since it appears the calibration time required has been greatly reduced from what it was with the A8), then this holy grail might actually be possible.

Stay tuned. Fingers crossed this comes to pass.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #3,443 of 15,992
The following suggests something different:
When I spoke with Mark Waldrep at Axpona, he seemed stunned by Smyth’s fraud in selling phony pre-orders, his lack of communication and complete lack of accountability. He told me he would confront Smith in this regard. I’m sure that any conversation they had thereafter was a bit awkward.

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #3,444 of 15,992
When I spoke with Mark Waldrep at Axpona, he seemed stunned by Smyth’s fraud in selling phony pre-orders, his lack of communication and complete lack of accountability. He told me he would confront Smith in this regard. I’m sure that any conversation they had thereafter was a bit awkward.
As a post-script, Mr. Waldrep clearly understood the difference (as most seem not to in this thread) between Kickstarter support and pre-orders which assume a finished product with an imminent shipping date,

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #3,445 of 15,992

Wow, this guy? http://aixrecords.com/contact/about_mw.html

Aug 19, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #3,446 of 15,992
Yeah, sure, okay.

giphy.gif

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #3,447 of 15,992
When I spoke with Mark Waldrep at Axpona, he seemed stunned by Smyth’s fraud in selling phony pre-orders, his lack of communication and complete lack of accountability. He told me he weould confront Smith in this regard. I’m sure that any conversation they had thereafter was a bit awkward.

As a post-script, Mr. Waldrep clearly understood the difference (as most seem not to in this thread) between Kickstarter support and pre-orders which assume a finished product with an imminent shipping date,

To contextualize my questions:

George-Alexandru Crisia on October 1, 2017
What was the role of the Smyth Research Realiser (A8) processor in the demonstration at the 2017 Los Angeles Audio Show? Would Yarra 3DX work better in conjunction with the new Smyth Research Realiser A16 processor?

Comhear Inc. Creator on October 1, 2017
@George-Alexandru Crisia - (...). The Smyth equipment is a wonderful complement to our technology. Think of YARRA 3DX as a replacement for the headphones.

Jason Lee on October 5, 2017
@Creator. So If I use the Yarra with the Smyth Realiser A16, Atmos, DTS X etc. could be decoded by the Realiser, and then be binauralized with height channels through the Yarra?

Comhear Inc. Creator on October 5, 2017
@Jason Lee - Yes. Think of the YARRA 3DX as a replacement for the headphones used by the Smyth Realiser. I am friends with the Smyth brothers and will be speaking with Mike tomorrow about this. We used my A8 at several trade shows in conjunction with the YARRA 3DX and listeners were very impressed. It even translates the head tracking aspects of the Smyth devices. If you're fortunate enough to have a Smyth A16 (have they delivered them yet?), the perfect complement to experience fully immersive 3D Audio is the YARRA 3DX speaker bar. All formats are supported. The binaurlization happens in the Smyth box.

Comhear Inc. Creator on October 5, 2017
@Jason Lee - The Smyth Realiser is a terrific box. I've had dozens of people come to my studio for measurements. The custom HRTF filters are completely convincing. If you're a backer of the A16, you might help your fellow backers by mentioning our campaign.

Jason Lee on October 8, 2017
@creator- Not sure if you can answer this, but is it possible to create a PRIR for the Realiser A16 with the Yarra?

Comhear Inc. Creator on October 8, 2017
@Jason Lee - It is not possible to create a PRIR using the YARRA 3DX.

Erik Garci on October 9, 2017
The Realiser has dual-user outputs (two different binauralized signals). Can the Yarra 3DX support this? For example, can its optical input be projected to one listener, and its analog input be projected to a second listener at the same time?

@Erik Garci - The Smyth A16 is a very high powered device and supports two independent users simultaneously. The YARRA 3DX sound bar doesn't have that sophistication yet. We'll see what it takes for a future version.

Comhear Inc. Creator on October 8, 2017
@Erik - The studio in West Los Angeles is my AIX Studio. It's been used by dozens of Smyth Realiser owners for measurements. The YARRA 3DX uses a "generic" HRTF for its binauralizing process...the combination with an A16 would defer to that device for a personalized binaural HRTF process. The YARRA 3DX would only deliver the sound to your ears instead of headphones.

David Ashton
Superbacker
on October 10, 2017

Just to clarify can this speaker produce 5.1 surround sound from source such as Blu-ray which is listed as either DTS or Atmos? most of my Blu-rays are one or the other so I hope so otherwise it'll likely just be another (albeit a good one) stereo speaker apart from when gaming I guess.

Comhear Inc. Creator on October 10, 2017
@David Ashton - THe YARRA 3DX binauralizes any multichannel signal it receives. It can decode Dolby Digital and APT X HD streams. Any MCH encoded streams in codecs not supported by the YARRA 3DX (i.e. Atmos, DTS X and Auro 3DX) would have to be decoded by another component (Smyth A16 for example) . A Blu-ray disc with Atmos or DTS X will output a legacy DD bitstream that YARRA 3DX will decode. The cost of the additional hardware and licensing for built-in Atmos or DTS X seems to be quite high - that's why sound bars that support them are roughly 3-4 times more expensive than our product.

Samuel Tsay on November 6, 2017
@creator (...)
P.S. One last thing, from your previous reply, am I right in understanding that, the Smyth A16 realiser is the only AVR that outputs raw multichannel PCM streams to your knowledge?

Comhear Inc. Creator on November 6, 2017
@Samuel Tsay - The Smyth Realiser is the only box that I know of that will decode Atmos (...) and other advanced codes and deliver a binauralized version to headphones OR the YARRA 3DX. The bitstream from the player would not be decoded natively by the YARRA 3DX. Most new players can decode the advanced codecs or pass the bitstream to the AVR for decoding. But the resultant stream is a multichannel analog stream ready for amplification. Getting multiple PCM streams to the YARRA 3DX has to be done externally. And AVR will decode but it doesn't place MCH PCM on the HDMI output.

@TedTimmis

Do you think that the yarra soundbar can precisely reproduce height channels without personalization?

Do you think Comhear did not add codecs with height channels to avoid licensing fee or because a generic HRTF could disappoint consumers regarding the rendering of height channels?

Why do you think Comhear recommend using both devices together? Only to have external decoding for Atmos, DTS, Auro and Ambisonics?

I am sure they are very aware of the complexity regarding object based codecs with height channels, head tracking and personalization.

So I really don’t understand the affirmatives you attributed to Mark Waldrep, a very polite and highly skilled professional.

“We won’t add codecs with height channels, head tracking neither idiosyncratic personalization. But you can use this wonderful product, the Smyth Research Realiser A16, that does all that and with the yarra you get rid of headphones or multiple speakers”. Some time after “shame on them for taking the time to implement such codecs, they should have highlighted that ‘shipping may be delayed significantly’...”.

Are you sure he would publish those opinions on-line? Did you ask for permission to name him?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #3,448 of 15,992
To contextualize my questions:

You list some very interesting things about Yarra but I’m not sure what that has to do with my comment. On a second read, however, I should have said he was very surprised by Smyth’s shortcomings and that he would ask him about this the next time he saw him.

Remember that at that time, Smyth was already nearly a year late and I hadn’t received any updates or even a confirmation of my order. Nothing has changed since then. Most people, including Waldrep, would be surprised by this. In contrast to Smyth, Waldrep has posted numerous updates and was very responsive to inquiries about the Yarra. (Editorial note: for some reason, my response preceded your post. The following are your comments)

So I really don’t understand the affirmatives you attributed to Mark Waldrep, a very polite and highly skilled professional.

“We won’t add codecs with height channels, head tracking neither idiosyncratic personalization. But you can use this wonderful product, the Smyth Research Realiser A16, that does all that and with the yarra you get rid of headphones or multiple speakers”. Some time after “shame on them for taking the time to implement such codecs, they should have highlighted that ‘shipping may be delayed significantly’...”.

Are you sure he would publish those opinions on-line? Did you ask for permission to name him?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #3,449 of 15,992

I was alerted to this thread and attribution of a quote by me regarding the Smyth Realiser. The quote above included the word "fraud" in reference to the Smyth Kickstarter campaign and the development of the A16. I don't believe I ever used the word in connection with the company or their products. I haven't been in touch with my friends at Smyth Research in 8 months. I talked to Michael Smyth in January and asked about their progress. He explained that they were behind schedule but making regular progress. Everyone that backs a campaign has to understand that it is extremely difficult to bring a complex new electronic device (like the YARRA 3DX and the Smyth Realiser A16) to market. There was no "fraud" in accepting preorders from backers for these innovative new products. Production delays are not uncommon with crowdsourcing campaigns. Recently, I received a notice from the ORA graphene headphone KS campaign announcing a 9-12 month delay! And of course, everyone is familiar with the OSSIC X debacle...they burned through $3.2 million and then ceased operations. I trust the people at Smyth to deliver a terrific — and very advanced — product. And I'm equally confident that Comhear will begin shipping YARRA 3DX units soon (I actually have one sitting on my desk right now!). I apologize for not visiting and reading current discussions at Head-Fi but life has been very busy.

As of May 1, my consultancy with Comhear, the developer of the YARRA 3DX ceased. I'm still involved with the development of the accompanying DVD disc and do speak with them regularly. But I don't respond to questions or emails about YARRA 3DX, I don't manage the backer community as I did previously, I don't post updates on the product development, and I don't participate in company communications. But I do believe that the product will be completed soon and start to make its way to backers — including the two that I ordered. There are people there that are responsible for keeping backers informed.

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #3,450 of 15,992
Oh... one more piece of terrific possibly-could-happen news.

Turns out Stephen has explored with Mark Waldrep (of AIX) the possiblity of arranging for use of the AIX sound room as a location to schedule 9.1.6 Atmos calibrations "in bulk" for desiring A16 owners, say over a weekend when the studio is not being used. Smyth would bring their six "height" speakers and set them up in the room temporarily, to go along with the rest of the existing B&W speakers and other electronics already in the AIX room. And apparently Mark is positive on the idea. Nothing definite at all yet, but Stephen believes this seems like it has a very good chance of happening.

Of course this would be fantastic, if it comes to pass. In the past the A8 calibrations involved booking the studio for an hour, but if the additional speakers could be brought over and a "weekend pass" could be arranged, and a whole list of anxious A16 users lined up for AIX/Atmos measurements (since it appears the calibration time required has been greatly reduced from what it was with the A8), then this holy grail might actually be possible.

Stay tuned. Fingers crossed this comes to pass.
Darryl, it's been a long time since I've visited this site. And I find a lot of threads mentioning my name or my facility. I haven't been in touch with my friends at Smyth research since the beginning of the year, so I don't have any concrete knowledge regarding the use of my facility for PRIR measurements. I can tell everyone here that I no longer operate out of the AIX Studio. I lease the studio — and the entire building full of studios — to other companies and individuals. However, I am still allowed to use the room with advanced notice. The possibility of using the big studio to do a bunch of measurements in ATMOS configuration is not out of the question. It would have to be carefully planned and coordinated. I'll reach out to Stephen and see what he thinks AND talk to the tenants and confirm the possibility. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back