Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #3,406 of 16,005
So here's what I have understood today:
2. Refine and automate audio test procedures for the performance assessment of assembled A-16 units (Actual testing of each assembled unit will be extremely demanding)

Kickstarter update said:
The A16 has many audio inputs and outputs, both analogue and digital, and testing all of these thoroughly is quite demanding
quite demanding = extremely demanding? That escalated quickly!

What i understand is "Since testing each unit is a long process, we've including many self-testing routines so that we don't have to spend so much time individually on each unit".

That's how I read it too.

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #3,407 of 16,005
Maybe i'm over optimistic if i'm considering that it might be ready for november, but i don't want to spend my time be negative on everything regarding the A16.
You should be careful with the logic rules. Let me remind you that speaking negatively about something negative isn't negative, but positive!
Also, when you speak positively about something negative (for example, this update), you are negative!
So, dear colleague, please, stop being negative!

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #3,408 of 16,005
What they wrote is "The A16 has many audio inputs and outputs, both analogue and digital, and testing all of these thoroughly is quite demanding. We’ve included a number of audio self-test procedures within the firmware, allowing the A16 to test itself to a large degree, and these tests will also be available to the end-user."
What you understand is "We will have to spend a lot of time to test each unit".
What i understand is "Since testing each unit is a long process, we've including many self-testing routines so that we don't have to spend so much time individually on each unit".
Who's right and who's wrong... time will tell ! (rather soon hopefully)
Maybe i'm over optimistic if i'm considering that it might be ready for november, but i don't want to spend my time be negative on everything regarding the A16.

Yeah, you have interpreted my sentiment quite correctly regarding the testing, but that is not the only reason behind my prognosis about shipping. Ironically, though, I am secretly hoping it is you who are right (about November), in spite of my own misgivings, because I'd rather have my A-16 in hand today, if possible, and not in 2019. Still, 2018 no longer seems realistic to me, if I am being honest :frowning2: , but we will have to wait and see.

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #3,409 of 16,005
By the way, James Smyth responded very quickly when I told him about not receiving this update in my inbox. He said that anyone who does not receive the update should contact him, because he is making up a new mailing list. Here is his entire message:

Hi ...,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I just checked our email list and you seem to be there.

So I have created a new list for customers who haven't been emailed any updates.
Can you put the word out on Head-fi to anyone who hasn't received the updates to email me on james@smyth-research.com

I will then add them to the new list.

Thanks for letting me know.

Regards
James

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #3,410 of 16,005
Also, when you speak positively about something negative (for example, this update), you are negative!
So, dear colleague, please, stop being negative!

That is because you regard this update as mostly negative, while i'm looking at the positive on it :slight_smile:
Yet, i'm not blaming people to feel bitter and negative about it (i myself have my share of frustration and bitterness about this device i was already hope to play with last summer) nor those who are over optimistic.
French author Bernard Werber says something that i find really true (and typically on this thread ! :wink:) :

"Between what I think,
what I want to say,
what I believe I say,
what I say,
what you want to hear,
what you believe to hear,
what you hear,
what you want to understand,
what you think you understand,
what you understand...
There are ten possibilities that we might have some problem communicating. But let's try anyway..."

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,411 of 16,005
quite demanding = extremely demanding? That escalated quickly!

Well the escalation is a direct reflection of my frustration. Don't you think Smyth Research has done more than enough to fuel that frustration?

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #3,412 of 16,005
Well the escalation is a direct reflection of my frustration. Don't you think Smyth Research has done more than enough to fuel that frustration?

You might need a hobby... other than virtualised audio?

Nobody disputes that Smyth's communication is terrible and the delays are annoying. The only reason I'm still subscribed to this thread is because I'm a pre-order customer, so I haven't had any direct updates from Smyth for ~9 months.

I have to say that I am rather surprised by the tepidness of the response others have shown, because most posters on here seem to be genuinely frustrated by the Smyths' lack of communication, in spite of their apparent unwillingness to do anything concrete about that frustration...

The reason you had a tepid response is because most of us know that arranging a coordinated harassment campaign against the Smyths and constantly talking s**t about them here won't get the A16 shipped any sooner and does nobody any good.

As I keep saying, we all kickstartered/preordered a product still in development (those of us that actually did order one and aren't just here to talk smack about Smyth) --- and all of us were duly warned about the possibility of delays. So how about we all relax and get on with our lives until the A16 ships (or doesn't).

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #3,413 of 16,005
You might need a hobby... other than virtualised audio?

Nobody disputes that Smyth's communication is terrible and the delays are annoying. The only reason I'm still subscribed to this thread is because I'm a pre-order customer, so I haven't had any direct updates from Smyth for ~9 months.

The reason you had a tepid response is because most of us know that arranging a coordinated harassment campaign against the Smyths and constantly talking s**t about them here won't get the A16 shipped any sooner and does nobody any good.

As I keep saying, we all kickstartered/preordered a product still in development (those of us that actually did order one and aren't just here to talk smack about Smyth) --- and all of us were duly warned about the possibility of delays. So how about we all relax and get on with our lives until the A16 ships (or doesn't).

Yeah right! Blah, blah, blah, and here we go again!

I have always said that the delays are to be expected, having participated in other crowdfunded projects, and being a backer of two other crowdfunded devices that are yet to ship, I am more than familiar with such delays and not ordinarily perturbed by them. I have always made it clear that my frustration was mostly with the unreliable communication practices of Smyth, and as someone who has received zero direct e-mail updates from Smyth Research, since preordering in October 2017 (I mean no update, which I did not specifically request, as I just did today), I think my grievances with Smyth Research would be more than understandable to any sane and sound minded person!

Let me spell it out to you again, since you seem to ignore it conveniently: 10 months without one single e-mail update which was not specifically requested is absolutely unacceptable, in my view, especially when that behavior comes from a company which makes this promise in a welcome letter to its buyers, or prospective buyers, even in the contractual context of a crowdfunded project (with all its known uncertainties, and expected delays) :

"You are now a valuable customer to us and we will update you every two weeks on the development of the Realiser A16."

Oh but silly me, I forget too easily that you were the one who mentioned that even this promise is not a promise... You come off like someone who is willing to invest in expensive projects with unknown parties in contractual contexts in which there are absolutely no guarantees of a reasonable return on your investment: contexts in smoke and mirrors, where black can look like white, up can look like down, and no promise, however modest, is ever quite a promise.

Congrats for that generosity of spirit, buyer's goodwill, or charitable attitude of yours, or whatever you think you're trying to prove with that predisposition, but forgive me for finding all of that act a little too phony!

Now, I only regret that I did not follow my own earlier pledge to myself to ignore all your posts... This will be my last response to you. This time you can take that to the bank.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #3,414 of 16,005
The only reason I'm still subscribed to this thread is because I'm a pre-order customer, so I haven't had any direct updates from Smyth for ~9 months.
I'm a pre-order customer also, and initially didn't receive the update e-mails, but after sending James Smyth an e-mail it was corrrected (a long time ago). So James's request to e-mail him if you don't receive the update e-mails is also intended for you I think. Probably wise to do that, because otherwise you might also miss the e-mail with the message "your A16 is ready for shipping, please confirm the shipping address"... (of course I am sure that would be resolved also but would add more delay before you receive your A16).

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #3,416 of 16,005
10 months without one single e-mail update which was not specifically requested is absolutely unacceptable
Well, from the mail you got from James it seems clear that there was some problem with their mailing list that they were not aware of before. Apparently the mails were not send to all addresses on the list. An unfortunate mistake, but please see this seperately from the other communication related complaints. I am sure they did not intentionally want to deprive a part of their customers from all updates!

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #3,417 of 16,005
I'm a pre-order customer also, and initially didn't receive the update e-mails, but after sending James Smyth an e-mail it was corrrected (a long time ago). So James's request to e-mail him if you don't receive the update e-mails is also intended for you I think. Probably wise to do that, because otherwise you might also miss the e-mail with the message "your A16 is ready for shipping, please confirm the shipping address"... (of course I am sure that would be resolved also but would add more delay before you receive your A16).

Yeah they have been weirdly inconsistent with the mailing list and responding to individual emails. I’m a preorder customer as well and received every update via email, but I’ve never actually gotten a response to the few emails I’ve sent to James directly. Some people get prompt responses to emails but never receive the email updates.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #3,418 of 16,005
Thank you Smyths & Co. Keep up the great work!

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #3,419 of 16,005
For me this update is not only 'no progress report'. It is even 'regress report'. Because they didn't finish the unit for the certification as expected, but announce the works which I thought have been finished a long ago. Even future 'Dolby certification' turned into 'various certifications'.
In fact I read this update (between the lines) like this:
"James is back from his summer holidays and the others will probably follow soon. He found that somebody has disassembled all the units and disturbed A/V modes, so these are the first things to do. After that there is A LOT of work yet to be done."

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #3,420 of 16,005
Yeah right! Blah, blah, blah, and here we go again!

I have always said that the delays are to be expected, having participated in other crowdfunded projects, and being a backer of two other crowdfunded devices that are yet to ship, I am more than familiar with of such delays. I have always made it clear that my frustration was mostly with the unreliable communication practices of Smyth, and as someone who has received zero direct e-mail updates from Smyth Research, since preordering in October 2017 (I mean no update, which I did not specifically request, as I just did today), I think my grievances with Smyth Research would be more than understandable to any sane and sound minded person!

Let me spell it out to you again, since you seem to ignore it conveniently: 10 months without one single e-mail update which was not specifically requested is absolutely unacceptable, in my view, when that behavior comes from a company which makes this promise in a welcome letter to its buyers, or prospective buyers, even in the contractual context of a crowdfunded project (with all its known uncertainties, and expected delays) :

"You are now a valuable customer to us and we will update you every two weeks on the development of the Realiser A16."

Oh but silly me, I forget too easily that you were the one who mentioned that even this promise is not a promise... You come off like someone who is willing to invest in expensive projects in contractual contexts in which black looks like white, up is down, and no promise, however modest, is ever quite a promise.

Congrats for that generosity of spirit and goodwill of yours, but forgive me for finding all of that act a little too phony!

Now, I only regret that I did not follow my own earlier pledge to myself to ignore all your posts... This will be my last response to you. This time you can take that to the bank.
did you check you spam folder ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back