Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 4, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #3,212 of 16,111
I wasn't a kickstarter participant, as i found out about this product too late to apply. I wish i had been able to join.

That said, could a moderator please split this thread into two parts, so that those that wish to complain/talk about Smyth customer service can do so, and those that wish to talk about the qualities and questions of the actual product can do so, without the noise of the other?

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #3,213 of 16,111
I wasn't a kickstarter participant, as i found out about this product too late to apply. I wish i had been able to join.

That said, could a moderator please split this thread into two parts, so that those that wish to complain/talk about Smyth customer service can do so, and those that wish to talk about the qualities and questions of the actual product can do so, without the noise of the other?

That has already happened. The other thread is here :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-realiser-a-16-customer-relations-thread.885685/

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #3,215 of 16,111
Is it summer heat puting people on fire here ?
I understand the frustration, i myself feel frustrated by the lack of communication from Smyth Research. Some say "if there is nothing new to say, no need to send an update until there is some significant progress". I respect that point of view but i am rather for a regular short update, even if it says "not much happened in the past two weeks, we are still working on this or that problem that is more difficult to solve than expected". Why ? Because at least it is a reminder that they think about their customers and that they care about not leaving us in the dark. Many of us have been waiting for two years and the wait and repeated missed deadlines are frustrating (in december, we were told that the A16 would go to certification in january or february for example).
Yet, the May update was going in the right direction and even the July update was ok (even though announcing that the dates given 6 weeks before we again pushed back to later).
That's why i am not for the moment supporting the idea of mass mailing to protest. It will not make things go faster. They already know that many people are not happy with that. People leave comments on Kickstarter and Facebook, and even if they don't participate on this thread, i bet they still take a look at it once in a while. I don't think they have time to answer the zillion questions that would be asked here if they were participating.
I prefer to enjoy summer, think about something else and wait for the update that should come likely close to the end of August (could come earlier but i see it arriving rather by the end of the month).

And Sahmen, you complain that you got only one update in the past year, but you got all the informations here and you could get it on their Facebook page, and anyway you simply asked them to add you on their list, they'd have done it. And if you did and still didn't get next update, you ask again. Others faced the same issue and it was solved after they asked Smyth Research to add them in their mailing list.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #3,216 of 16,111
The Smyths have partners now. Partners have more to lose at this point than the Smyths so if we are going to do a writing campaign it would probably help to start emailing the partners. I am sure them asking the Smyths What? is going to do more than us asking
We are not all in this together. There are people here posting threats, insults against Smyth, and worst of all, insults against other Head-Fiers. I want nothing to do with it. I would not sign my name to anything signed by a couple of posters here, particularly the fellow who suggested bringing a gun to CanJam LA, who I see posting his nastiness again.

Emailing Smyth, posting complaints to HeadFi/Facebook/Kickstarter, by all means, please do. Joining a campaign with this lot to make demands of Smyth? Count me out.
So your the little puke that tried to get me banned. Since your going to emediately run to the administrators and try to get me banned again, I want to make sure every one knows the kind of person you are. For the record I did not say any thing about taking a gun to CanJam LA That would mean going to the US which I will never do again. But go ahead twist my words again and get me banned see if I care. This thread is kind of pointless as it looks like the A16 may never ship. Keep in mind that while you feel all god like passing judgement on others you have no idea what others have been promised or told. You have no idea what others have read or any idea what others have sacrificed to pay for the A16 or the inconvenience that is piling up due to the non-existent ship date. But go ahead and pass judgement in ignorance any way.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #3,217 of 16,111
Anyone able to let me know where the idea of a September delivery came from?

Was it an "official" goal, or a tentative maybe like the previous ones?

My thoughts on the community outreach to Smyth:
Updates have been very, very irregular to this point
Goals stated by Smyth as 3-4 weeks away or "soon" continue to fail to be met and still show as 3-4 weeks away or "soon" in multiple updates, many months apart.
Pretty much all valid requests for information using the current methods of contact (kickstarter, facebook, email etc are getting no response/reaction)
Not all customers bought through kickstarter - many pre-ordered from the official site, with none of the "yeah, but it's kickstarter, you should expect issues like this" as mostly invalid
No one is looking to threaten, abuse or disrupt Smyth, nor their business or production, but bring to their attention that their communication has been pretty woeful to this point and not up to standards that are expected.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #3,218 of 16,111
Anyone able to let me know where the idea of a September delivery came from?

Was it an "official" goal, or a tentative maybe like the previous ones?

My thoughts on the community outreach to Smyth:
Updates have been very, very irregular to this point
Goals stated by Smyth as 3-4 weeks away or "soon" continue to fail to be met and still show as 3-4 weeks away or "soon" in multiple updates, many months apart.
Pretty much all valid requests for information using the current methods of contact (kickstarter, facebook, email etc are getting no response/reaction)
Not all customers bought through kickstarter - many pre-ordered from the official site, with none of the "yeah, but it's kickstarter, you should expect issues like this" as mostly invalid
No one is looking to threaten, abuse or disrupt Smyth, nor their business or production, but bring to their attention that their communication has been pretty woeful to this point and not up to standards that are expected.

IIRC it was mentioned in one of the updates, but for a specific example (April 27th):

August at the earliest, which doesn't mean it's launching in August. It just got easier than lying and saying "4-6 weeks" every two months to get that preorder money before they merged with Heavenly Sound. Now it's simply "not before eight weeks from now", but more than likely not before December.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #3,219 of 16,111
IIRC it was mentioned in one of the updates, but for a specific example (April 27th):

Yeah, that was one of the "tentative" 4-6 weeks (June delivery), just like many of their own time-frames that they put out.

Was just wondering if the Sept one was any more credible.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #3,220 of 16,111
Yeah, that was one of the "tentative" 4-6 weeks (June delivery), just like many of their own time-frames that they put out.

Was just wondering if the Sept one was any more credible.

Nothing they say regarding a shipping date is credible until it's actually been sent in for certification. It would be great if they weren't saying anything because it actually was sent in for certification, and they are waiting for the big announcement until after that's finished. But we all know how hopes with the A16 are like ships that were dashed among the reef.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #3,222 of 16,111
I'm the otherway - I'd be tipping that finally heading to certification would be something they'd yell from rooftops.

I can't see us getting any product til a couple of months after they let us know it's going for cert.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #3,223 of 16,111
Bi-Weekly = not Twice a week, but fortnightly, as in once every two weeks.

Yes it is confusing. In the country in which I originally grew up, "bi-weekly" unequivocally means twice a week. However, in the US I have heard the expression "Bi-weekly checks" used in some contexts to refer paychecks that are issued every two weeks, and there lies the confusion.

I actually verified this from Merriam-Webster's dictionary, and it appears both meanings are valid:

Definition of biweekly
1: occurring every two weeks : fortnightly
2. : occurring twice a week

Here's another dictionary definition:

"a periodical that appears every two weeks or twice a week."

With all that said, I think I made it sufficiently clear within the context of my posts that I was referring to Smyths' own promise to provide one update every two weeks, so I hope no-one mistook my "biweekly" to mean twice a week.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #3,224 of 16,111
So your the little puke that tried to get me banned. Since your going to emediately run to the administrators and try to get me banned again, I want to make sure every one knows the kind of person you are. For the record I did not say any thing about taking a gun to CanJam LA That would mean going to the US which I will never do again. But go ahead twist my words again and get me banned see if I care. This thread is kind of pointless as it looks like the A16 may never ship. Keep in mind that while you feel all god like passing judgement on others you have no idea what others have been promised or told. You have no idea what others have read or any idea what others have sacrificed to pay for the A16 or the inconvenience that is piling up due to the non-existent ship date. But go ahead and pass judgement in ignorance any way.

I had nothing to do with you getting banned, but to who ever did, job well done. It is clear that what got you banned were your own words. You seem like a real stable genius type.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #3,225 of 16,111
Bi-Weekly = not Twice a week, but fortnightly, as in once every two weeks.

Yes it is confusing. In the country in which I originally grew up, "bi-weekly" unequivocally means twice a week. However, in the US I have heard the expression "Bi-weekly checks" used in some contexts to refer paychecks that are issued every two weeks, and there lies the confusion.

I actually verified this from Merriam-Webster's dictionary, and it appears both meanings are valid:

Definition of biweekly
1: occurring every two weeks : fortnightly
2. : occurring twice a week

Here's another dictionary definition:

"a periodical that appears every two weeks or twice a week."

With all that said, I think I made it sufficiently clear within the context of my posts that I was referring to Smyths' own promise to provide one update every two weeks, so I hope no-one mistook my "biweekly" to mean twice a week.

Who is this a response to? I actually brought it up accidentally in a post that I was going to make (that I edited in less than a minute), that I had not deleted yet before replying about the September release date, but that was almost a half an hour before you replied.

Normally biweekly does mean twice a week, and the US is no exception. But I saw the definition too and decided not to post based on a technicality. I just looked up biannually as well, and the second definition is not one I've ever seen used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back