Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 3, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #3,167 of 15,987
What I'd like:
  1. A comprehensive list of steps that need to be taken /hurdles to be overcome to get the A16 to market
  2. An update on progress made against these steps, minimum every two weeks, as we were promised when they bid for our money
BTW is there anyway to post a table on this forum?

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #3,168 of 15,987
I think every fortnight (=every 14 days, for the non-native Englisch speakers) is enough.
(Because they are a small company, better not too much overhead.)

I agree with the stipulated minimum of once every 14 days.

I also think fortnightly (i.e bi-weekly) updates would be more than fair, because that would also simply be holding their feet to their own fire by simplyly demanding that they be true to this promise that they themselves make in every welcome letter they send out to each customer who gets on board:

"You are now a valuable customer to us and we will update you every two weeks on the development of the Realiser A16."

Of course, in order for this new approach to be successful, they need to make sure that every buyer and backer's name and e-mail address is included in one consolidated mailing list, as it appears there are still many backers and preorderers who do not even receive any of the few updates that they send out rather intermittently.

Beyond that, I have no other request to make except the following, which I can only consider to be optional :

It seems to me that if at leasf one of the Smyths could take a peek into this forum every now and then, in order to post an occasional comment, answer a question or two, and respond to PM'd inquiries, that might go a long way toward creating goodwill among their clients and boosting confidence in the project and product. Hell, it might even earn them more buyers for the post release version of the A-16... This is an option that could be suggested... Even though I am not sure that they will bite, in spite of their touted social media presence and all...(err... cf their "Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter" quip..., year right! :))

If anyone has any additional suggestions to add, please feel free to do so...

That said, I think it would be quite ill-advised to ask them to give us an update only when they have something new to report, as they might simply interpret that as representing what they are already doing, i.e. the very MO and status quo that we would like them to change...

In the meantime, if you would like to be included in the list of senders, please PM me your name, your A-16 related e-mail address, and your head-fi handle. I can create the collective mailing list and send the letter/message off, once I have collected the contact info of enough volunteers...

Please note that the exact meaning of "enough" is still up in the air... What minimum number of volunteers should we consider to be enough?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #3,169 of 15,987
What I'd like:
That said, I think it would be quite ill-advised to ask them to give us an update only when they have something new to report, as they might simply interpret that as representing what they are already doing, i.e. the very status quo that we would like to them to change...

Quite right, it's very important that we are told, at least every two weeks, that there is no new/relevant information to be shared.

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #3,170 of 15,987
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #3,171 of 15,987
I think it we should start it like this : everyone that was Kickstarter backer to write today or tomorrow a message regarding update and the real shipping date. Even if we manage to get only 50 people asking same thing it will be enough, to get they attention. Not sure if they follow this thread or the Kickstarter page, but it's worth trying.

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #3,173 of 15,987
An open letter on their kickstarter, twitter, facebook, email etc.
Signed off with our head-fi tags

Posted each week with a growing number of names til we get reliable updates.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #3,174 of 15,987
Aug 3, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #3,175 of 15,987
I think it we should start it like this : everyone that was Kickstarter backer to write today or tomorrow a message regarding update and the real shipping date. Even if we manage to get only 50 people asking same thing it will be enough, to get they attention. Not sure if they follow this thread or the Kickstarter page, but it's worth trying.

I actually like this approach, provided many of us write to them at (or around) the same time, because it is likely that multiple e-mails arriving around the same time will make a bigger and quicker impact on the recipient, and get their attention more quickly. In that sense, one group letter occupying only one position in an inbox would make a less impactful entrance, and might not even be opened before being deleted through carelessness. If it is indeed opened, and opened on time, then, of course the number of signatories will leave a large and impactful footprint...

Currently, I am seeing mixed signals regarding the proper approach to take. Some have suggested sending one collective group letter... Others are suggesting sending emails directly and individually. Personally, I am open to both approaches, and shall go with whatever the posters decide here, provided the approach is impactful. Hell, I might even consider doing both. Why not?

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #3,176 of 15,987
How quickly things change! When I described the A-16 here a couple of months ago as likely "vaporware," there was a resounding swell of pro-Smyth optimism in response. If this product actually comes to market, I might buy it, but I'm glad not to have been a kickstarter.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #3,178 of 15,987
How quickly things change! When I described the A-16 here a couple of months ago as likely "vaporware," there was a resounding swell of pro-Smyth optimism in response. If this product actually comes to market, I might buy it, but I'm glad not to have been a kickstarter.

Confirmation bias. You didn't preorder so you are disposed to see the delay as validating your choice. If Smyth delivers, those who preordered still get their systems before you and at a far lower price. Of course, if they never deliver then you will have a great deal to crow about, but right now all you are is someone prematurely celebrating your bet as the roulette wheel continues to spin.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #3,179 of 15,987
Would be nice if the nagging could go to the nagging thread ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-realiser-a-16-customer-relations-thread.885685/ ) so this thread can return to be the useful one.
Although I consider both threads usefull, I agree we should try to put things in the right thread from now on.
Edit: On second thought: actually nagging or complaining doesn't belong in the new thread so much, the new thread is about planning and organising some specific action.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #3,180 of 15,987
This thread would be useful, if and when there were timely updates from the Smyths. Unfortunately it’s been radio silence on the whole so I understand the frustrations echoed here, also being one of the backers.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back