Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 30, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #2,866 of 16,011
Let's wait and see what the license fee is for. Most software packages that use license fees offer you a monthly charge in lieu of paying full price for the product (e.g. Office, Acrobat, etc.) which I actually don't mind. So if we could, say, pay a monthly or annual fee in lieu of buying a room, or something, I'd actually consider that.

If it's just another useless fee tacked on though (i.e., pay for the room, pay for the BRIR, and then on top of that pay an annual fee just to maintain access to those things you bought) that's going to leave a nasty taste in my mouth. Smyth if you're reading this please don't do that....

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #2,869 of 16,011
That exchange site is completely empty. Even account creating doesn't work. You make an account, then try to log in and get 'Not found' message.
I thought a bit more would open to a member. At least some short textual descriptions of depicted rooms...
Opening this kind of web site for the public must be some kind of joke!

May 30, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #2,870 of 16,011
The website is accessible, but it doesn't mean that it's open. Smyth Research hasn't communicated yet about an opening of the Realiser Exchange service. And i suppose they won't before the A16 starts getting shipped...

May 30, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,872 of 16,011
I agree, but how can you use it without your A16 ?
They could have said "you can check out the future realiser exchange website" but it's still obvious to me that you can't do anything there while the A16 is not released.

May 30, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,874 of 16,011
Looks like they have taken the exchange offline

Error 403 - This web app is stopped.
The web app you have attempted to reach is currently stopped and does not accept any requests. Please try to reload the page or visit it again soon.

May 30, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #2,875 of 16,011
A lot of glass-half-empty folks in this thread.
Well that's pretty impressive since they haven't put any thing in the glass yet while we have already paid the bill.

My concern is the dual nature of the A16. The A8 was almost exclusively used by professionals. If I am a guy that has mixed a couple of local bands in a local studio but can now up my game by mixing in a simulated Abey Road for example. $500/yr is chump change. If your Joe Schmo that just throws a few disks a month in the player it is A LOT of MONEY. Which market are they pricing for? Having mixed on a Neve console myself the fact that they are in with the guys they are, tells me it is aimed at the pro market again and away from the consumer market.

May 31, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #2,876 of 16,011
Well that's pretty impressive since they haven't put any thing in the glass yet while we have already paid the bill.

My concern is the dual nature of the A16. The A8 was almost exclusively used by professionals. If I am a guy that has mixed a couple of local bands in a local studio but can now up my game by mixing in a simulated Abey Road for example. $500/yr is chump change. If your Joe Schmo that just throws a few disks a month in the player it is A LOT of MONEY. Which market are they pricing for? Having mixed on a Neve console myself the fact that they are in with the guys they are, tells me it is aimed at the pro market again and away from the consumer market.
Yes, that website sent some really disturbing messages. First - the prices, second - yearly prices and - worst of all - site development seemed to be in it's very, very, very early phase. But, let's be half-full-ish and hope they didn't show the most recent version of the website and that the prices were exaggerated ...

May 31, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #2,877 of 16,011
Doesn't matter - It's EOM so we're sure to have an update in the next couple of days anyway.

Few more weeks on the UI then they'll be ready to send for certification?

edit: only semi sarcastic.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #2,878 of 16,011
I have been watching again the latest YouTube video of the A16 in 1080p/60 fps.
Just wonderful, can't wait till we will get it. Tomorrow i am getting my Equinox 800 after a long 6 week wait :)
Can any tell me what is the USB port on tbe A16 front for? Can we watch movies from the stick directly connected to the TV?
Anyway it will be worth the wait.I think more movies will be encoded in Dolby Atmos so that's great.

May 31, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #2,879 of 16,011
Can any tell me what is the USB port on tbe A16 front for? Can we watch movies from the stick directly connected to the TV?
No, 99.9999999% certain they didn't build in a video/media player!
I think it provides one additional way of storing and loading PRIRs, BRIRs and HPEQs. Maybe usable for firmware updates also.
And there were plans to make it possible to connect a USB DAC to it (from the kickstarter comments page):
Stephen Smyth Collaborator on September 8
@Kazimierz Popinski - The A16 will have a USB 2.0 host port (not shown in existing functional diagrams) in addition to the USB 2.0 device port (shown). We plan to use this port to support headphone PCM streaming to an external DAC. So it will be possible to input multi-channel PCM via the device port and output the headphone PCM on the host port simultaneously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back