1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189
191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200
Next

Last
  1. sander99
    Oh Oh, did you read the two last kickstarter updates? To make a long story short:
    They are gonna work together with Heavenly Sound, a company that has excellent marketing and distribution networks in Europe, the USA and China.
    Retail price has now been decided on: $3995,- plus taxes.
    "No shipping before august".
    (Certainly no idea when it will be in which shops.)

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/2189088
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/2190319

[Edit: new price is effective immidiately, you can register interest by mailing Smyth, see Smyth web page]

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    iAudio365 likes this.
  2. Got the Shakes
    Looks like it will launch in August at the earliest. Not sure about how to buy now. I think you can sign up on the Heavenly Sound website for information about how to purchase.

iAudio365 likes this.
  3. JohnEW
    Take a look at this people. By the looks of the icon on the top left corner and the slide-show it looks like the exchange for the A16
    https://www.realiserexchange.com/#
    Sit down first before you look at the prices of some of the rooms.

4. Dr. Strangelove
    Those prices are in line with what I had to pay @ AIX.

5. JohnEW
    I really had no idea of how much the rooms were going to be. As Dr Strangelove has informed us what he paid at AIX, these prices are in line of what we could expect to pay.

6. CanMad
    But that is personalised to you, these are not. But I am excited its up and running and there are some free ones there to try and no doubt there will be more. I will certainly be sharing mine. I'll be doing a two channel of my friends Revel Ultima Salon 2 set-up plus my own 7.1.4 set-up

7. bearcatsandor
    So, what is a "room"? Does it include the speakers or is it just the space? So f i download "Shanghai Symphony Orchestra..." and i have Meridian DSP 6000s captured, will i hear my Slipknot disc played over those Meridians in that space?

8. sander99
    It is always the combination of speakers and a room. Well, you could have speakers without a room by removing all reflexions/reverberations but that sounds unnatural. If you capture your Meridian DSP 6000s you will have captured them including the room where you did the PRIR measurement.
    A room without speakers? Maybe it could be a theoretical possibility to have something like that, but that is not what this is about.
    [Edit: and note that these rooms - like CanMad already mentioned - or rather these room BRIRs are not personalised to you. So they may even not sound reasonable at all to you. But Smyth will offer a service - for a fee yet unknown! - to personalise them for you using a PRIR you have to make for that (for example with your Meridians). The result is said to be "85%" (whatever that means) of doing a PRIR yourself in the purchased room. I thought I better explain this before you end up paying $500 for something that may or may not work for you as is, or an addition a personalization fee for something that still does not give a 100% result and we don't really know how it will really sound.]

9. CanMad
    That Iosono room looks amazing

10. musicday
    I am happy to see some progress here, slowly but this is good news. Hopefully August is the shipping month for sure.

11. Takeanidea
    I will certainly be offering up my rooms and they will be for free. I'm sure others here will not go their separate ways after all this time and will enter into the spirit of it.

12. pcfi
    Which is completely reasonable when you are hiring out the studio to get a personalised PRIR measurement

Are we to infer that Smyth / studios want to charge similar prices for just merging your HPEQ measurement with a generic PRIR from the studio? If so, that seems a lot less reasonable.

13. Dr. Strangelove
    It's not simply a generic. The idea is to extract a HRTF from a PRIR the user has done, and reshape the generic so it's more personalized. Keep in mind, studio owners also own the sound signature of the room and all equipment within; Smyth will have to pay royalties to studios they have deals with, and the studio will want a sizable cut (like AIX does).

14. pcfi
    Yes, I understand that, my terminology was incorrect. To charge the same amount that it would cost to physically hire out the studio still seems unreasonable, particularly because trying to personalise someone else's PRIR is going to be somewhat hit-and-miss. I wonder if the moving target on PRIR compatibility with A8 is due to some form of DRM or other method of allowing a PRIR trail period? I can't imagine spending more than $10 on a combined PRIR/HRTF if I can't hear what is sounds like first.

I realise there's IP involved for the studios, but given the process will be completely automated and ludicrously scalable (ie. selling to 10 customers or 1000 customers costs the same), ~$500 seems like a real stretch. At the top end, I would have expected 10% of the cost of doing the measurement at the studio would be reasonable. Hopefully the up-market studios will compete on price and the market will sort it out.

Richter Di likes this.
  15. Fox1977
    Maybe prices mentionned on the website are just examples, not necessarily the real prices. IMO, 50$/€ should be a limit for a generic room that will be cutomized (and therefore not 100% like the real room). We should be able to listen to in on the computer before buying it, but will we be able to listen to the customized version before buying it or simply to the original BRIR ?
    I guess i would rather aim at small sized rooms if i were to get a new personalized BRIR. My TV is pretty much 3m from my couch. If i get a big room where the screen is say 10m from the viewing position, no matter how great it sounds, my brain may get conflicted between the picture 3m in front of me and the sound that will seem to be coming 7m behind that point. It may ruin a bit the illusion.

First

Back
180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189
191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200
Next

Last