SMSL DP3 HIFI Bluetooth Music Player Balanced Headphone Amplifier DSD256 Apt-X 2.4G/5G Wifi
Jul 15, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #18 of 39
Greetings,

Maybe some one here can help with an advise...

I just bought SMSL DP3 to use as a network player/DAC.
My setup is: Source is Win 7 PC with FLAC and MP3 files on the USB hard drive. PC is in the other part of the house, on the LAN network. The music folder is shared, no password. Turned on media streaming option in win 7 and allowed all devices to connect. Added the music folder to the windows music library.

DP3 is connected to the processor-amp-speakers via the pair of analog RCAs.
Connected the DP3 to the LAN via the ethernet cable directly to the router LAN port. Can find it under the router settings in online devices, so I know it is online.
Turned DLNA on. Went to search under SMB for the music folders, but see nothing. Every time I get the message "check network availability".

I can access my music folder on PC remotely from several android cell phones and Mac inside the house, so I know the folder is shared.

Not a clue what I am doing wrong. All I want to do is to play remotely music files from PC, preferably through the wired network connection. Looks like at least some posters have used DLNA option and it worked for them. I would prefer not to connect another hard drive to the device directly if possible, but to have one source of music. My other system is connected to PC directly: PC-USB DAC-Stereo amp-speakers. Works great with foobar player.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 39
Hi,
I believe I have same issue, my local revendor guess we have to use upnp device like bubbleUPNP to use dnla.
It seems be ok but I didn't manage to make it work perfectly (I din't pass long time to solve issueso far).
Do you have updated with last firmware?
Jean-Christophe

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #20 of 39
I did the firmware upgrade. Hooked up my Yamaha stereo receiver with network capability using the same Ethernet cable, and it immediately recognized and played my shared online NAS and Plex server files. No issues at all. Contacted both manufacturer and seller, but they are not helpful at all.
So, I returned the unit and bought another from a different seller. Hope the second unit will work. I have read comments both ways. Some say the unit cannot play files from NAS and some say it can. If the second unit is the same way, I will look for another solution.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 39
Returned mine. I exchanged the unit, but the second one was no better. Would not connect to the network, wired or wireless. Deal breaker for me if it cannot be used as a network player. Both the seller and SMSL CS were useless. Other than "turn on airplay to use with iphone", not much help. Too bad. There is nothing else in this price range to function as a network player and DAC (and from what I gathered a very good DAC).

Thanks

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #23 of 39
On my side, the NAS (Dlink) was recognized immediatly and I can browse the files. But I failed to get my DAC's recognized when connected to any of the USB ports. I sent an email to SMSL, no reaction...

So I connect via SPDIF.

Airport is working decently only when using WIFI connection to the network. DLNA is a bit more stable.

Hiby app is just terrible...

But the hardware is great value for the price.

Dominique

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #25 of 39
Hi ! i have just bought one and waiting to receive it. have anyone tested the digital balanced out maybe ? moreover can the unit play files stored on an usb external hard disk ?
i am going to use it just to playback my cds collection after ripping it to an hard disk for convenience.
Is anyone aware of good alternative at the same price point ? Thanks a lot. gino

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #26 of 39
Anybody able to download and flash Firmware version 1.5 from the SMSL official product page?
I just received (24/10/2018) the product and mine come with FW 1.3,
No matter how many times or what way I always end up downloading invalid firmware.

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #27 of 39
.... moreover can the unit play files stored on an usb external hard disk ?
i am going to use it just to playback my cds collection after ripping it to an hard disk for convenience.

This thing is born to just for this...and it did just right - Played for the whole one day (as I just received) and the experience is awesome.
Installed 200 GB Micro SD at the slot and connect 2x 2TB NTFS formatted HDD at the back of the two USB port which filled with Music collected since 2002 and there are Tons of FLAC / AAC / MP3 and Some APE / ALAC / WAV. With the help of Hiby Link, I was the cruise through the nearly 3 TB's of unsorted / unmanaged music files at folder play mode.

My usage is 95% time DP3 with Stereo Amp + 2.1 Speaker Combo via Line-out....and the Line out volume can be controlled by the DP3's volume knob or Hiby Link.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #29 of 39
hi thanks a lot for the very kind and helpful reply
i got mine yesterday and i am playing files stored on a usb external Maxtor 1 Tera disk flawlessly great!
unfortunately i cannot control it with Hiby Music app could you please give me instructions about how to set the app up ?
i read about an icon to click on the right side but i don't see any
thanks a lot again gino

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #30 of 39
This thing is born to just for this...and it did just right - Played for the whole one day (as I just received) and the experience is awesome.
Installed 200 GB Micro SD at the slot and connect 2x 2TB NTFS formatted HDD at the back of the two USB port which filled with Music collected since 2002 and there are Tons of FLAC / AAC / MP3 and Some APE / ALAC / WAV. With the help of Hiby Link, I was the cruise through the nearly 3 TB's of unsorted / unmanaged music files at folder play mode.

My usage is 95% time DP3 with Stereo Amp + 2.1 Speaker Combo via Line-out....and the Line out volume can be controlled by the DP3's volume knob or Hiby Link.
thanks a lot for the very kind and valuable reply i will try with a small dedicated router and a little nas asap
i understand you are also able to control il with Hiby Music app? I cannot see the device anywhere in the app screens
that is very important for me as i would love to control it from my android tablet
instead using the tiny screen on the unit is painful i am old and short sighted
thanks again kind regards gino

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back