SMSL DP3 HIFI Bluetooth Music Player Balanced Headphone Amplifier DSD256 Apt-X 2.4G/5G Wifi
Oct 27, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #31 of 39
hi thanks a lot for the very kind and helpful reply
i got mine yesterday and i am playing files stored on a usb external Maxtor 1 Tera disk flawlessly great!
unfortunately i cannot control it with Hiby Music app could you please give me instructions about how to set the app up ?
i read about an icon to click on the right side but i don't see any
thanks a lot again gino

Browsing Music through the Small screen is really Awful, that is where Hiby Link came to rescue. Please remember you can't use the Bluetooth as a Music Source (Example: Stream Spotify From your phone to DP3) until you turned off the Hiby Link.

Below is the pictorial procedure (how to) :

This is how it looks when Hiby Link controlling the entire unit as a remote, It even control the volume of the player too. Paired phone/tablet's volume switch becomes the volume control of the entire music system.

9fJrExT.jpg

Steps (1)

Go to the DP3 player home screen -> Network -> Bluetooth -> Hiby Link (make sure it is ON)

Libw5P9.jpg

(2) Turn ON your phone's / tablet's Bluetooth and then launch the Hiby Music App

Click ON The Hiby Icon which is 4th Icon at the Top. Click the Hiby Link Client. Do not turn Hiby LInk server because DP3 is the server here. DP3 will show up at the available device list. Click on SMSL DP3 to initiate the connection. This is only for the first time, after that it will auto connect.

XziFHWA.png

(3) If the connection is successful, then click the music icon -> click the folder and below screen will appear.
Here 'a' is the 64 GB Micro SD card and 'c' is the 2TB HDD - Size is not accurate but don't worry, it will work just fine.

ugRNM3H.png

(4) Clicking 'c' will reveal the next screen - And here it shows Hiby is playing

PxyjTiy.png

--------------------------End of the procedure --------------------

Below I'm browsing my drive and navigate through the folders.

cm8lSEh.png

U9Yf6e1.png

O0IRUnv.png

xkMEKIe.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #32 of 39
hi thanks very much again
i must have a problem with the app because I don't get the screens you have posted i have the bad feeling that isn't available here in Italy
the user interface is completely different and lacks all the icons
i will send an email and ask to the company
thanks a lot again anyway

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #33 of 39
hi thanks very much again
i must have a problem with the app because I don't get the screens you have posted i have the bad feeling that isn't available here in Italy
the user interface is completely different and lacks all the icons
i will send an email and ask to the company
thanks a lot again anyway

Please check your version - This is 3.2.0 version...If playstore restricts this in your region,
You can download this Hiby apk from apkpure dot com and installed manually at your device.

Here is the link

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #34 of 39
thank you!!!! it works perfectly!!!
i guess the version on Google play must be an old one at least the one i see with my Italian account
it is very important to me this unit for the presence of a aes/ebu out
i have 3 dacs to try with the dp3 acting as a source benchmark dac1 gustard x20u and apogee rosetta 200
moreover i am feeling that the sound is open up very nicely through the headphones hsr-1000 i am using right now
i have been listening to it for no more than 10 hours arrived yesterday
i cannot thank you enough
i have other units from smsl audio and i am always been very pleased by the brand
thanks sincerely kind regards gino

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #35 of 39
Hello users of DP3, That On-Board clock of the DP3 is manual? Does it get any ability to update itself when the Wi-Fi connected?

My unit needs to set every time after shut down....Is this applicable to all unit?

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #36 of 39
I recently bought this unit. High end systems for large collections are easy to find. A decent DAC reasonably priced to play and manage a modest size is difficult, the ageing Squeezebox seemed the only option. I wanted to use my perfectly adequate amplifier and speakers. I re-ripped my 400 odd CD’s to FLAC (9000 tracks) , loaded a few to SD to try. All seemed very very good, so I loaded the rest. The DP3 would only update to about 30gb/1700 tracks. On re-loading only 300 tracks, and it froze the HiBy app and DP3. Worse was to come. The firmware updates do not work. The file downloads fine, copied to SD card as per manual, is recognised by the DP3, then gives the message ‘ firmware update file not found ‘
The help from the manufacturer is supposed to be from : kelly@smsl-audio.com - all requests for help have been ignored.
I see from posts here that others have had this and similar problems. Has anybody found a solution? This could be a great item, unless it actually plays the music is just a brick.
Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #37 of 39
Hello everyone :raised_hand:
Resurrecting this thread as I'm very interested in buying this SMSL DP3, and after reading the thread I'm a bit "scared". I've written an email to them, like 3 days ago, and had no reply, which I see now it's usual stuff with this guys ...

So, my first idea was to buy the Yamaha Wxc-50, but I've just found a couple of reviews of this SMSL Player and I've got very interested in it, mainly because on the contrary of most of the users of this kind of devices I'm not into the world of the online streaming services, Spotify, Tidal, etc. and what I was really looking for is a device able to play my music files stored in a large capacity external HDD using the DLNA protocol (lots of streamers can do this) but specially my main interest was to play the files from the ext HDD directly attached to a USB input of the player. I wasn't able to find an affordable Streamer/Network player with this feature, until I found the DP3. And it seems that the DP3 can also read the HDD in a NTFS format. Hurrah!

So it seems that I've just found what I was looking for .. but after reading some of the stuff mentioned here, now I'm not so sure about the device. So I will be very grateful if anyone who has this player present days, can answer a few questions<.

-First I would like to know from which date its the latest firmware available to download in their website, and what this firmware corrects or adds to the player. For example,I know the update process of the music library is terribly slow, or adjusting volume and navigating menus is made difficult by poor controls. I would like to know if improvements have been made to these issues, or others.

- As I said before, my main interest on the player is use it as mere transport, if posible, playing my music files stored on a 3TB ExT HDD with his own power suply, via one of the USB ports of the DP3. It's true that has capability to read formatted NTFS HDD?
But now, what really worries me is what Waldo said in previous post, the problem/limitation that seems this player has to read and indexing large number of files/tracks :scream: This is an issue with attached store volumes via USB, or also via DLNA? I mean, if this is a real issue (I don't doubt of what Waldo wrote) I can't see how this will work with my 3TB HDD, so my main purpose to by this thing seems useless.

- I was sure that I've read somewhere that this Player could be connected to a external DAC using asynchronous USB port output, but it seems its another misleading information. Anyone can confirm if this is posible?

And not very important, but this Player reads and can play cue files? I have some of my oldest backups on FLAC / APE image + Cue

Ok then, hope someone can help me with this. If this device is so flawless, probably I'll pass. I'ts not expensive, but also not so cheap, and for a not very much money there are other options as the Yamaha I mentioned before. Thing is that I know that if I buy the WXC-50 I'll be paying for som capabilities that I really don't need. Shame is that the other Yamaha's streamer, the more affordable wxad-10, doesn't has digital outputs to connect to an external DAC.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #38 of 39
Hi i have got very decent sound using a cheap Android TV box > usb to spdif converter > dac reading files from an usb hard disk connected to the TV box.
Problem was to find a nice app to control the tv box.
At the time I was using a wireless keyboard and my tv screen to navigate the files folders.
Maybe this one will work
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.tv.remote&hl=it
Use your Android phone or tablet as a remote for your Android TV. Easily switch between d-pad and touchpad modes to navigate content and play games on your Android TV device. Tap the mic to start a voice search, or use the keyboard to input text on Android TV. To get started, connect your Android phone or tablet to the same network as your Android TV device or find your Android TV via bluetooth. Works with all Android TV devices.

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.amazon.es/s?k=tv+box+4gb+ram&__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1LKBSSHZP0WUJ&sprefix=tv+box+,aps,220&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-o-p_5_7

this one has also an optical out ... if your dac has low sensitivity to jitter (i.e. internal reclocking etc.) it could work just fine (i think for instance that my old Apogee Rosetta 200 must have something because the sound changes very little even using cheap sources with i presume high jitter)
https://www.amazon.es/Android-Box,T95-Quad-Core-Soporte-Inalámbrico/dp/B07SKHQVL8/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1LKBSSHZP0WUJ&dchild=1&keywords=tv+box+4gb+ram&qid=1592922202&sprefix=tv+box+,aps,220&sr=8-5

I have also the DP3 but i have played only wave files loaded on a usb pen stuck on the rear port. The sound was quite good to me. Also quite decent from the headphone out.
Another option, that is what i will do soon, would be to buy a cheap but nice router and create a dedicated lan only for music with a network player and a nas both connected to the router by cables. This is for me the best solution by far.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #39 of 39
Well, stil didn't get any feedback from SMSL custom service. And I was only showing my interest in buying one of their products... This really makes me dismiss the idea of buying a product of a company with such lack of professionalism.
Anyway, Thanks a lot ginetto61 for your time and your kind reply. Yes, I was also considering the idea of acquire an Android TV Box for using it as I explained before. But I start to get discouraged just trying to look into the specs of some of them, obviously, their main purpose is a TV box and it's hard to find references about their audio capabilities, looking for the ones with at least a digital output .. . So I've just parked the idea ..
Another option could be a mini PC, as for example the Beelink BT3 Pro II Mini PC or something like that. But, again, to many doubts about how it will handle the music files, etc. or the if Hardware may be just rubbish. But for 130€ approx. it will be great if this was the solution.

When I started to think about this, going to the digital environament, what I was very sure is that of the 2 devices I need, the streamer must be the cheapest one posible. I want to focus and expend the money on the DAC, preferebly a DAC/Head AMP combo.
I didn't decide which one yet. If it wasn't so complicated, specially now, to buy Schiit products in Spain, I'll probably go for the new Magni 3+ & Modi 3 Combo .. so the one I really like and probably I'll get is the Audiolab M-DAC mini. But it depends if I find the right info about his "sound signature" (I'm not into analytical approach) and capabilities for driving with looseness the Headphones I have in mind, Meze 99 Classics and AKG 712 Pro.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back