Skullcandy SK Pro DJ vs Sony MDR-7506 headphones?
Mar 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$299 for skullcandy hp's? now I've seen it all...
eek.gif

Keep in mind that's NZD, not USD.

As for the DT 770 Pro/80, I love it, but it's a bit power-hungry; most portables don't have quite enough oomph for it. It sounds clean from my Sansa, but it's a little too quiet for me. Even my 0404 USB is a bit on the quiet side with it.

I've never listened to (nor seen) a DT 440, so I don't really know how they sound.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mainstream180 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also looked at the Denon AHD1001K On-Ear Headphones that cyberidd suggested and those look good though does anybody else have anything to say about them? Furthermore, just to clarify are they full size and closed headphone? I’m a little confused by some of the reviews and their very description..

Thanks again guys!

They're not exactly full-sized. They're Supra-aural, which means the pads generally lie on top of your ears, instead of around them. However my ears are small and flat enough to get away with wearing them circumaurally.

As for closed, they are indeed closed. But they don't isolate very well. You'll likely still be able to hear a lot of things going on around you.

As for their bass, I have not heard anything that extends lower or has more impact until you get into $300+ phones (namely the D2000 or SE530).

So yeah, I'll second them if you don't need absolute isolation and the most important aspect of the music you care about is the bass.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 28
Someone was saying something about the Q40s earlier, they sound very nice but they are not the best isolators in the world. If you need isolation, don't get them.

I -think- my friend used to have the set of sonys in the OP. It was a very long time ago, but I think I remember the bass lacking slightly. I do remember them being on the bright side, but I was quite young at the time and this was before I became a audiophile. I do well remember them not having much clamp, and you would need to hold them down a bit to get good bass. This might have been because they were a tad old, but it's the only experience I've had with them.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Wow thanks guys for your suggestions!! I appreciate all the advice

My price is considerably less than what most of you are willing to spend to get better than average sound quality. This partially due to the fact that I don’t live in the US, I actually live in a small country called New Zealand. At the moment NZ’s dollar buys about half of that of the US’s. In addition I’m also a poor student lol.. So really im looking to spend about $100 US.
The Sony headphones I asked about retail for $200 in NZ from Sony Style and the Skullcandy’s sell for $299 actually.

But since no one really seems to love either I looked into the Beyerdynamic DT770 and the DT250’s and those are very much out of my price range, though the Beyerdynamic DT440’s would be if I were to buy them from Amazon. Any thoughts on those?

I also looked at the Denon AHD1001K On-Ear Headphones that cyberidd suggested and those look good though does anybody else have anything to say about them? Furthermore, just to clarify are they full size and closed headphone? I’m a little confused by some of the reviews and their very description..

And of course I looked at the AKG K81DJ and those look promising to? Who else loves those?

Thanks again guys!

Hey, another New Zealander! What part of NZ are you in?

I'd recommend against the Sony Style Store since they normally price things rather highly...

Check Trademe every now and then. Those D1001k's pop up sometimes. And try find a place where you can audition headphones. The Listening Post here in christchurch has quite a few AKG headphones (including the K81DJ) and they'd be more than happy to let you try them out and see what you think.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Wow thanks guys for your suggestions!! I appreciate all the advice

My price is considerably less than what most of you are willing to spend to get better than average sound quality. This partially due to the fact that I don’t live in the US, I actually live in a small country called New Zealand. At the moment NZ’s dollar buys about half of that of the US’s. In addition I’m also a poor student lol.. So really im looking to spend about $100 US.
The Sony headphones I asked about retail for $200 in NZ from Sony Style and the Skullcandy’s sell for $299 actually.

But since no one really seems to love either I looked into the Beyerdynamic DT770 and the DT250’s and those are very much out of my price range, though the Beyerdynamic DT440’s would be if I were to buy them from Amazon. Any thoughts on those?

And of course I looked at the AKG K81DJ and those look promising to? Who else loves those?

Thanks again guys!

hifionline at easternhifi.co.nz offers the D1000 for pretty cheap. tell them i sent you.
smily_headphones1.gif
they're the one's usually selling the Denons on TradeMe. I know there's a silver one in stock at the moment, but I don't think it's on TradeMe. They're closed and pack a mean bass punch. Awesome headphones for the price.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #22 of 28
I have those G.I.s as well but I don't use them, they are just to muddy and muffled for me. The Sony mdr-7506 will pierce your brain with treble if you go straight to them from the skullcandy, the difference is like plugging your ears with your fingers and taking them out. From what I've seen here compared to what I know about those G.I.s, I think you will like the AKG K81DJ. I use a pair of Equation RP-21 straight out an ipod and they are semi portable with solid bass. Get the coiled cord if you go that route though. Good luck.

May 15, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #23 of 28
I have a pair of Sony Noise Canceling MDR-NC60 and they sound better than any Skullcandy products I have ever owned. I'm sure they are better than Skullcandy Sk Pro's too. I prefer Sony over Skullcandy any day. :)

May 15, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 28
Akg k518/k81 for portable strong bass sound, definitely.
If you don't mind the headphones to be big and not really portable, the MDR-XB700 will suit you well, just by looking at them you can tell they are bassy...

May 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #25 of 28
I'd pick the Equations over the Sony's if I had your budget constraints. Sony will reveal a little more detail, but it's too bright and harsh for many people's taste, with boosted upper mids...Equation is smoother and very natural sounding, plus has slammin' bass...definitely get the coiled cord. They don't fold up real small however, so may not work for you if you're planning to carry them in a small backpack

May 15, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
$299 for skullcandy hp's? now I've seen it all...
eek.gif

the Denon's are a great choice to look into, as well as the M-Audio Q40's, the Sony 7506's, and various other models, especially over SC

$299 NZD. That said, I've tried Skullcandy's highest end IEMs and was not amused. Not amused at all.
Anyway, mainstream, gimme a message. I'm from NZ thus can offer you some localised advice since I know the prices / market here etc....

Answering these questions will help:

budget?
music taste?
how are you going to use it?

EDIT: Ok, who bumped this thread!?

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #28 of 28
The Sk Pros sound good if you want to EQ them for different genres, and have a good stationary music experience out of a computer or laptop. For a portable source you would need an amp. The Sk Pro has a 50mm driver. They are great for playing with the EQ, you can get a warm sound or clean it up for rock, a little more lively, but not really for a preset EQ. Same with the Sony's, cleaner and higher highs, not as bass heavy I'm sure, but what sound signature do you like? I don't like shrill high notes, a little smoothing out is my prefrence. A pair of on ear headphones that do ok at isolating sound while having crazy bass are the skullcrushers. If you like bass from the GI's and do not mind the drop in sound quality, you'll like the skullcrushers. If you want some thing with a different look check out the Beats studios, They have the same type of bass, just slightly better sound quality and are in style I guess. The beats are main stream, and I stay away. I have heard them, everything deserves a chance before you judge you headphones, and the Beats aren't for me. Maybe this item will suite your needs though.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back