Skullcandy SK Pro DJ vs Sony MDR-7506 headphones?
Mar 10, 2009 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mainstream180

New Head-Fier
Hi

I currently have Skullcandy GI's and though they are pretty good I want to try something that offers better isolation from outside noise and doesn't leak as much sound to the outside world.

I am a fan of the heavy GI's bass emphasis, but I understand that they're pretty piss poor when it comes to the midrange etc and sound quality is important to me even though I am hardly an audiophile. I'll be using it with my ipod but unfortunately both have quite long cables.

Out of those two headphones though (Skullcandy SK Pro DJ vs Sony MDR-7506 headphones) which do you guys recommend?

BTW does anyone know if the MDR7506 Sony Headphones (Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Electronics) are different from the MDR-7506 Sony Headphones (Amazon.com: Sony Pro MDR-7506 Headphones: Electronics)

Thanks heaps

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 28
No brainer. Sony's all the way. I wouldn't touch a Skullcandy with a ten foot pole.
biggrin.gif
But that's just me.

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 28
the real physical difference should just be the larger drivers on the one that says "large diaphragm"

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 28
Might want to look at the Equation either rp21 or rp22x or the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO for a good full sized headphone.

Heard they have great bass. You'll be majorly impressed with the improvement.

I hope your not one of those guys that wears the full sized headphones outside, because that's pretty douchy. Especially directly plugged in to a music player w/o an amplifier/dac. Just my opinion though.

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No brainer. Sony's all the way. I wouldn't touch a Skullcandy with a ten foot pole.
biggrin.gif
But that's just me.

Lol no it's not. I'm with you on this one.

And I'm speaking from an informed standpoint. I've tried countless Skullcandy headphones and IEMs. All are priced at about three to five times what they're actually worth.

Bose may be overpriced, but Skullcandy is ridiculous. They're not just "not good enough", they're downright HORRIBLE.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 28
But these are relatively new, they could've changed their drivers for the better! Probably not, but still, how many of you have tried the Pro DJs? I recommend the DT770s, nonetheless.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 28
I would also recommend the M-Audio Q40; it has amazingly deep and full bass.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 28
Hey mainstream180, and welcome to Head-fi! I recommend looking at headphones other than the ones you've listed as there are MUCH better options if you're willing to give them a shot. The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80 are good, closed cans that will isolate and have good bass. FWIR, the Denon AH-D1001 are good for bass as well, although they don't isolate as well as the Beyers. If you have a price range that you are trying to find headphones within, then post that, as well as what kind of music you listen to and it will make it easier to make suggestions.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 28
Wow thanks guys for your suggestions!! I appreciate all the advice

My price is considerably less than what most of you are willing to spend to get better than average sound quality. This partially due to the fact that I don’t live in the US, I actually live in a small country called New Zealand. At the moment NZ’s dollar buys about half of that of the US’s. In addition I’m also a poor student lol.. So really im looking to spend about $100 US.
The Sony headphones I asked about retail for $200 in NZ from Sony Style and the Skullcandy’s sell for $299 actually.

But since no one really seems to love either I looked into the Beyerdynamic DT770 and the DT250’s and those are very much out of my price range, though the Beyerdynamic DT440’s would be if I were to buy them from Amazon. Any thoughts on those?

I also looked at the Denon AHD1001K On-Ear Headphones that cyberidd suggested and those look good though does anybody else have anything to say about them? Furthermore, just to clarify are they full size and closed headphone? I’m a little confused by some of the reviews and their very description..

And of course I looked at the AKG K81DJ and those look promising to? Who else loves those?

Thanks again guys!

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 28
I have the K181 DJ and the Q40. Both are great. My K181 finally snapped after 2 years of heavy use, but they are excellent headphones. Q40 are that extra bit thicker and deeper - like no headphone I have experienced, but the K181 are excellent beasts!

K181 - Pitbull.
Q40 - Rottweiler.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mainstream180 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also looked at the Denon AHD1001K On-Ear Headphones that cyberidd suggested and those look good though does anybody else have anything to say about them? Furthermore, just to clarify are they full size and closed headphone? I’m a little confused by some of the reviews and their very description..

Whether they go on or around your ear depends on how large your ears are. Those with small/normal ears call them some of the comfiest headphones ever. The SQ will be a significant jump from the Skullcandies but they isolate very little. They don't leak sound out much, which is good if you don't want to disturb other people, but the isolation is, well, minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back