Singxer SU-1 Owners
Apr 16, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #241 of 869
LPS-1 to SU-1 DIY.  SQ?  Wonderful!

@Superdad
 thanks for the shipping the oyaide cable and LPS-1 so quickly!

Was the oyaide cable a special order? I didn't realize it was even for sale.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #243 of 869

No worries Tboooe, I just appreciated hearing your opinion and expectations.  I have a LPS powering my MRendu now and love Uptone's products too myself.  ****, after seeing you guys rewire your SU-1's to use a LPS-1 is SO Cool!  And what's kind of funny, doing this for 'only' $400 is about the same price, if not cheaper, than the power cord I'm using to power the SU-1.  And I bet it sounds better.   Great thread guys....though I'm not using it now for lack of native 512.  Will reintroduce back into system when the firmware update becomes available.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #244 of 869
It's the one that he sells with the JS-2. You can buy that.

Thank you. Supposedly Uptone is going to offer a 2.1mm short version of this cable some time after the IsoRegen launches. I am very curious to know if a better DC cable makes a difference.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #245 of 869
Anybody had any experience with SMSL P1 Linear PSU?

How does it compare with LPS-1?

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #246 of 869
This is like asking if anyone has compared a 1982 Yugo to a 2017 Bugatti Veyron :wink:

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #247 of 869
This is like asking if anyone has compared a 1982 Yugo to a 2017 Bugatti Veyron :wink:

So, which one of the two is Yugo? :wink:

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #248 of 869
Apr 17, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #249 of 869
There are two problems being discussed on the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2SE forum.

1. One is the one you mention which is that the SU-1 will not play PCM over the i2s output to the W4S DAC2. W4S has investigated and fixed one customer's SU-1 by placing a capacitor on the word clock input as you describe. W4S has offered to fix other customers SU-1 for a charge of $125/hour plus the shipping costs. I have been in touch with Tim at Kitstune which is where I purchased my SU-1. I have provided him all of the detail and pictures from the W4S forum. He is working with the factory but I haven't gotten any response. Their initial excuse was there are no standards for i2s and then claimed that W4S is using a "non-standard" implementation of i2s, which is clearly illogical. If there is no standard, then how can someone be non-standard? I also pointed out that my Hydra-Z works just fine using i2s into the W4S DAC and that the "fix" to the problem is made in the Singxer, not in the W4S DAC. The fix has been confirmed to work by the @Frantic who was the original W4S customer who reported the issue.

2. A second problem has more recently been discovered where the SU-1 is apparently 180 degree out of phase with some DACs, including the W4S DAC2. I don't believe there is a fix for this yet. 

Personally, I'm ready to dump the SU-1 and stick with my Hydra-Z which has neither of these issues.

I returned my su-1 and bought a mutec mc3+USB.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #250 of 869
I returned my su-1 and bought a mutec mc3+USB.

I used to own the Mutec. It's a great device. To my ears the Mutec and SU-1 present music differently.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #251 of 869
I used to own the Mutec. It's a great device. To my ears the Mutec and SU-1 present music differently.

What is the difference? Which do you generally prefer? 

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #252 of 869

What is the difference? Which do you generally prefer? 

I would say the biggest difference is that Su-1 has more energy and dynamics.  In comparison, the Mutec sounded very smooth and mellow.  I think the differences were further accentuated because my system is already on the warm side of neutral.  That being said, the main reason why I sold the Mutec was because it did not support DSD output.  I knew that I was moving towards using HQP to convert everything to DSD256 or 512.  Thus far, the combo of SU-1 and Holo Level 3 DAC has proven to make my system sound better than it ever has.  It is to the point where I am afraid to try any more tweaks, and that has never happened before.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #253 of 869
Hi,

I have been using Singxer SU-1 for almost 2 months now and I am thinking of whether to get a highend PC such like 
Kubala-Sosna Elation PC or modify the power circuit to use LPS. The main reason is that I can reuse the PC if I change DAC.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #254 of 869
I run a Mac mini that has been modified to run on 12 volts DC.   Powering it with LPS.  But I have ordered a HD-Plex LPS that will power three of my digital components with the 4 output rails....check them out...I wanted to get a Singxer until I read about the different hook up issues.  Will be putting in a Hydra Z instead....They are built to run on 5 volts DC 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back