Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Apr 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #1,921 of 2,282
Quote:
Quote:
roughly equal to the HE-500

Not to start this again, I think most who's owned both will disagree with that assessment, myself included. DavidMahler ranked them far lower than the HE-500 in his review and I think he was flattering them a bit- IMO they're only slightly better than, say, the K701.

^ this

I tend to disagree with a lot of Headfonia's reviews.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #1,922 of 2,282
Quote:

Not to start this again, I think most who's owned both will disagree with that assessment, myself included. DavidMahler ranked them far lower than the HE-500 in his review and I think he was flattering them a bit- IMO they're only slightly better than, say, the K701.

maybe just the mids and treble, but with the bass, just no way

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,923 of 2,282
Greetings everyone,

I've been reading this discussion and have been quite intrigued by the SRH 1840.
I currently own the MDR 7520s. I use them for mixing but wanted something a bit more open for stereo imaging and critical listening. Basically, a companion headphone for the Sony's. With that being said, how do the paradox fit into this equation? Are they a happy balance between the Sony's and the 1840s?

Thanks guys for any impressions on this question

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,924 of 2,282
Quote:
Greetings everyone,

I've been reading this discussion and have been quite intrigued by the SRH 1840.
I currently own the MDR 7520s. I use them for mixing but wanted something a bit more open for stereo imaging and critical listening. Basically, a companion headphone for the Sony's. With that being said, how do the paradox fit into this equation? Are they a happy balance between the Sony's and the 1840s?

Thanks guys for any impressions on this question

The Paradox? Do you mean the T50rp mod of the same name?

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,926 of 2,282
Well... personally, I prefered Senns HD600s over the SRH1840s. Shure's instrument separation and lovely mids won me over BUT at the price it didn't made any sense to pick it up over the HD600s.

Interestingly, my MrSpeakers Mad Dogs sound very similar to the HD600s but with more bass slam. HD600s are a bit airier and soundstage is wider though. If LFFs Paradox are similar sounding to the Mad Dogs (some say it is, some say it is more revealing), then I can't see why not get the Paradox over the 1840s (unless you prefer an open-back headphone or you find one at a better price -- i.e. under $450 at least...)

Good luck! :p

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,928 of 2,282
hi guys, should i buy the SRH1840? i am not an audiophile but i do appreciate good sounding headphones. i only plan on owning 1 headphone. the one i have now is a Sennheiser HD200 that i bought back in 2004. although it is still good, i want something that sounds a bit better. i have looked at pretty much everything in the $1000 and under headphones and i can't seem to find what's right for me. my priorities are that it must be comfortable and have lower impedance. i know the SRH1840 needs an amp but  i also want to occasionally hook it up directly to my phone for when i'm taking a lunch in the lunch room at work. if i have a desktop amp at work and at home already, i don't want to have to buy another portable one to be used just 1 hour per day. some of the full sized headphones that i tried such as the UE6000 and the T70p are pressing down on my ears and becomes quite uncomfortable after an hour. i also tried the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. that didn't touch my ears but the clamping force is just way too much. the sound is also not as clear as i want it to be. actually, i really like the sound from the T70p but i couldn't stand wearing it. i can practically wear my HD200 for an entire day without discomfort other than sweaty ears.

i have also considered the AKG 702 Anniversary edition. i didn't buy it because of the durability issues on the headband. i know the rubber is easy to replace but it seems like the clear plastic that aligns the headband also breaks after a while.

my priorities for the headphones are:

1. comfort - this is the biggest thing for me. even bigger than sound quality. i usually listen to music at the office for the entire shift and then again when i get home. it wouldn't matter to me how good it sounds if i can't wear it all day.

2. sound quality - i know the SRH1840 is expensive for the sound quality especially compared to the HD600 and HD650, but i'm going after the lower impedance as well.

3. low impedance for periodically connecting to Galaxy S4.

4. durability - just by looking at the SRH1840, it seems to give me an impression that it is durable.

please remember that this will be my only headphones for a while.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #1,929 of 2,282
I would buy it. Its a great all around headphone that works for all genres.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,930 of 2,282
What about "isolation"?  Do you want to be able to hear everything around you ?  Do you want people around you to clearly be able to hear your music (and possibly be disturbed or distracted by it) ?

When people mention "office" as location for use of headphones, I always assume they are looking for closed headphones, not open ones like the SRH-1840.   If you answered "no" to either question above, then you want closed headphones.

If you want closed headphones, and you can wait until the end of September, then the new "Alpha Dog" headphones will be $599 and have similar sound qualities to the Shure, but in a closed headphone that isolates very well.

Otherwise, the advantages to the SRH-1840 are outstanding imaging and excellent midrange detail.   They are comfortable, but like shoes, you cannot actually tell if any particular headphones "fit you" and thus are comfortable until actually trying them.

Thus, Amazon and Headroom are two good places to try headphones, since you can return them within 30 days at both places.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,931 of 2,282
hi, thanks for the responses. i have considered open headphones use in an office. i work with a small company and i'm the only one sitting in the corner of the room although the hallway beside my desk is a high traffic area. i actually bought the HD558 from Best Buy 2 day ago and i really like the open headphone sound. although the sound from the HD558 is obviously not as clear as i'd like such as with the T70p. with the HD558, for the volume i listen to, i think the sound leak is quite acceptable. some people in our office even listen to music from the on hold music from our phone system!

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,932 of 2,282
hi guys, should i buy the SRH1840? i am not an audiophile but i do appreciate good sounding headphones. i only plan on owning 1 headphone.
.........................................................................................................SNIP........................................................................
my priorities for the headphones are:

1. comfort - this is the biggest thing for me. even bigger than sound quality. i usually listen to music at the office for the entire shift and then again when i get home. it wouldn't matter to me how good it sounds if i can't wear it all day.

2. sound quality - i know the SRH1840 is expensive for the sound quality especially compared to the HD600 and HD650, but i'm going after the lower impedance as well.

3. low impedance for periodically connecting to Galaxy S4.

4. durability - just by looking at the SRH1840, it seems to give me an impression that it is durable.

please remember that this will be my only headphones for a while.

I might just throw in my 2 cents worth here as well. I consider my SRH1840 to be one of the best sounding and most comfortable headphones that I have owned over the years. It does provide an excellent sense of realism due to the superb imaging and tonal balance. As do all open headphones, there is rather poor isolation, which can be a benefit in an office environment. It also contributes to comfort in the sense in that one doesn't feel so isolated from ones environment when listening for long periods.

Depending on how loud you prefer your music, the leakage may or may not be audible to your co-workers. At reasonable volume levels, the leakage will likely be unnoticed with all the other ambient sounds heard in a typical work environment.

Because of the very light weight of the Shure in combination with the velour pads, I find it to be a phone I can wear for many hours, often completely forgetting that I have them on. I might add that the build quality is excellent and given the spare cable and extra pads that are included, they should provide you with many years of trouble-free service.

I have never regretted my decision to purchase them, despite the fact that initially there were a number of posts which felt that the distortion in the bass was excessive. I have personally never found the bass to be anything but well-controlled and well-balanced with the mids and highs.

I hope that my observations are of some help in making your decision.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,933 of 2,282
thanks for the recommendations. i will order the 1840 from Amazon tomorrow. i have been reading up on headphones for the past 2 weeks and i've had enough. i just want something i can listen to.

edit: ordered this from Amazon. one day Prime shipping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back