Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Aug 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #1,636 of 2,282
Quote:

At the moment only the portable, a few months ago i had the Asus Xonar Essence One which was fantastic with the Shure too. I basically gave up on expensive amps and dacs after owning too many of them, the Sony has a great soundquality so that's all i use right now.

That's one of the great things about the 1840.  They sound great right out of an iPhone but get even better with the right amp.  I just converted mine to balanced and am enjoying them immensely driven by my Schiit Mjolnir.  I think the 1840 is under appreciated here for some odd reason since, to me, they can compete right along side of the big dogs.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,637 of 2,282
I think the 1840 is under appreciated here for some odd reason since, to me, they can compete right along side of the big dogs.

Absolutely. They have the ability to play certain music very well (intimate jazz recordings, vocals) but don't sound good on electronica or dubstep as other phones. So it all depends on your choice of material. OTOH, getting a one-size, fits-all pair is essentially requiring you to go up to SR-009 territory. That thing sounds great with whatever material you throw at it! But I think the 1840 is priced reasonably well for what it does and does well at! :)

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,638 of 2,282
Quote:
Absolutely. They have the ability to play certain music very well (intimate jazz recordings, vocals) but don't sound good on electronica or dubstep as other phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not for me, i listen to alot of deep house and older detroit techno and such and my Beyerdynamic T90 for example is a bit too bassy on some tracks for my tastes in which cases i go back to the Shure 1840. The layering and transparency works great for electronic music where the bass is lifted anyways. Guess i'm not a bass head, i had the PRO 900 at some time and thought the bass amount was a big joke, one of the worst headphones i ever had even though it was technically capable.

WilCox: I guess the HE-500 that's in the same pricerange atleast over here in europe stole some attention from the Shure 1840. Haven't heard that one yet.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,640 of 2,282
That was a too harsh word. It's not disgusting, it's just annoying. Or maybe I like a more laid-back sound signature like my old DT880's had.

Simple. You can't handle the truth. You like things nice and laid back and inoffensive. That's OK. Sometimes I like that type of sound as well. I only have the 1440, which (so I am told by folks who own both) is even more revealing than the 1840. It took me a while to adjust to it and to stop being afraid of the music and the way it varies in the way it is recorded.

Quote:
 I think the 1840 is under appreciated here for some odd reason since, to me, they can compete right along side of the big dogs.

Actually, they are better than a lot of the big dogs. The "odd reason" is that they are not Sennheisers. If they were, you'd see 400 threads on them.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,641 of 2,282
Ok, well I think it's time to share my thoughts on these 'listening devices'.  The 1440 is ,simply put, the second worst sounding phone I've ever put on my head after the Pro 900.  The unbalanced FR, treble peaks, massive bass roll off and unparalleled distortion is simply unlistenable for more than a few minutes.  These phones sound exactly like they measure.  I can only fathom that people enjoying them must be listening at incredibly low volumes to avoid the obvious problems these have.  The 1840 is only slightly better sounding as if Shure tried to dope the driver to hide some of these issues.  The 1840 is just a refined version of the garbage the 1440 is at a ridiculous price IMHO.  I was not a big fan of the 840 but it is miles and away a more balanced phone than these new ones with rolled off bass and tipped treble to fake detail.  Even w/ the tuning gimmickry the 1440/1840 are nowhere in the same ball park as the HD800 in resolving capacity.  The SA5000 murders these technically and audibly for me and they are still behind the HD800 by a goodly amount.  It's cool if people somehow enjoy these but I cannot find a technical aspect of audible performance they excel at especially for the price.

This impression was from a PWD > Super 7(SE) and /Bryston BHA-1 (XLR) using 24bit FLAC and WAV done side by side w/ the HE400, HE6, T1, LCD3, TH900, K701, HD800 (3 pairs), HD650, DT1350, HFI780.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,643 of 2,282
Quote:

Simple. You can't handle the truth. You like things nice and laid back and inoffensive. That's OK. Sometimes I like that type of sound as well. I only have the 1440, which (so I am told by folks who own both) is even more revealing than the 1840. It took me a while to adjust to it and to stop being afraid of the music and the way it varies in the way it is recorded.

Actually, they are better than a lot of the big dogs. The "odd reason" is that they are not Sennheisers. If they were, you'd see 400 threads on them.

Deleted.

EDIT: Forgot I am gagged.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #1,644 of 2,282
Quote:
Ok, well I think it's time to share my thoughts on these 'listening devices'.  The 1440 is ,simply put, the second worst sounding phone I've ever put on my head after the Pro 900.  The unbalanced FR, treble peaks, massive bass roll off and unparalleled distortion is simply unlistenable for more than a few minutes.  These phones sound exactly like they measure.  I can only fathom that people enjoying them must be listening at incredibly low volumes to avoid the obvious problems these have.  The 1840 is only slightly better sounding as if Shure tried to dope the driver to hide some of these issues.  The 1840 is just a refined version of the garbage the 1440 is at a ridiculous price IMHO.  I was not a big fan of the 840 but it is miles and away a more balanced phone than these new ones with rolled off bass and tipped treble to fake detail.  Even w/ the tuning gimmickry the 1440/1840 are nowhere in the same ball park as the HD800 in resolving capacity.  The SA5000 murders these technically and audibly for me and they are still behind the HD800 by a goodly amount.  It's cool if people somehow enjoy these but I cannot find a technical aspect of audible performance they excel at especially for the price.

This impression was from a PWD > Super 7(SE) and /Bryston BHA-1 (XLR) using 24bit FLAC and WAV done side by side w/ the HE400, HE6, T1, LCD3, TH900, K701, HD800 (3 pairs), HD650, DT1350, HFI780.

See people? This is what meets do to normally sane impressions.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,645 of 2,282
Quote:

See people? This is what meets do to normally sane impressions.

Trying to discredit Anaxilus is ridiculous and only makes you look desperate.  He has some of the best listening ability of anyone on head-fi.  If meet conditions weren't good enough for him to hear them accurately, he would reserve judgement. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,646 of 2,282
Aug 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,647 of 2,282
Actually I lived with them in my house for a week (along w/ the others I mentioned).  Well I looked at them for a week after listening to them.  I brought those phones to the LA meet and didn't listen to them there at all as a result.

Thx RD, that's nice of you to think so.  I don't think Shahrose really meant anything by it. Nvm, apparently he did.  Oh well.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #1,648 of 2,282
Quote:
Perhaps my insane impressions and objective measurements will help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/566929/headphone-csd-waterfall-plots/765#post_8647560

DISTORTION OF THE YEAR AWARDS have thereby been granted to the SRH1440/1840. The SRH1840 does have a few redeeming factors, although it's proper price point should be more around $300. The SRH1440 should be sold for (minus) -$280

My comments (and mini review) always steered to the Shure's being a bit overpriced for the sound offered... (why I stood with my HD600s for open phones and sold the Shure's...). It's not bad, but you can get similar or slightly better sound for less.

Still... I like Shure! :wink:

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,650 of 2,282
Quote:
Wait, I thought the K550 had that in the bag?
tongue.gif

I heard that was dependent on how they were positioned around your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back