Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Dec 3, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #2,071 of 2,282

Really? The HD650 had trouble even keeping up with the performance of my Shure SE846. The HD800 was the clear winner out of all the headphones I tested using the $2000 HDVD800 DAC + AMP (the criteria was that it had to beat the Shure SE846, else there is no point in buying the full sized headphone). 

The HD650 and HD600 are more in the ballpark of the Shure SRH 1840 rather than the Sennheiser HD800. 

That means is that you love the SE846 a lot. Personally, the congested soundstage ruined what excellent qualities the SE846 had (but it was a very nice IEM from my very limited hearing). When other headphones have poor distortion figures and cost a few grand, that doesn't mean it's an acceptable quality. It means it's not worth the money if you're particularly picky about distortion.

EQ doesn't really solve the 'edge' of the HD800: it fixes it up a bit, but unless I'm mentally challenged, I can't seem to take the edge off. Oh well, that's why other headphones exist. The HD800 is not the end-all headphone at all. The HD700, while having a reduced soundstage and less micro-detailing, takes that metallic edge off somewhat (even though it shouldn't: it's bright as hell).

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #2,072 of 2,282
  That means is that you love the SE846 a lot. Personally, the congested soundstage ruined what excellent qualities the SE846 had (but it was a very nice IEM from my very limited hearing). When other headphones have poor distortion figures and cost a few grand, that doesn't mean it's an acceptable quality. It means it's not worth the money if you're particularly picky about distortion.

EQ doesn't really solve the 'edge' of the HD800: it fixes it up a bit, but unless I'm mentally challenged, I can't seem to take the edge off. Oh well, that's why other headphones exist. The HD800 is not the end-all headphone at all. The HD700, while having a reduced soundstage and less micro-detailing, takes that metallic edge off somewhat (even though it shouldn't: it's bright as hell).

I don't really like the Shure SE846 that much anymore when I got the HD800 actually.  But that was the point when I got a new full sized headphone, it had to beat the Shure SE846. What metallic edge? Maybe it's your DAC + AMP that causes it because the only I heard that is when the HD800 was connected to a receiver that was designed for speakers or when the HD800 is used directly on my Access Virus TI (it's a synthesizer with an onboard soundcard, but it doesn't have the power to drive the HD800 I guess). 

But it's getting a bit off-topic now since this is a Shure SRH 1840 & Shure SRH 1440 thread. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #2,073 of 2,282

I don't really like the Shure SE846 that much anymore when I got the HD800 actually.  But that was the point when I got a new full sized headphone, it had to beat the Shure SE846. What metallic edge? Maybe it's your DAC + AMP that causes it because the only I heard that is when the HD800 was connected to a receiver that was designed for speakers or when the HD800 is used directly on my Access Virus TI (it's a synthesizer with an onboard soundcard, but it doesn't have the power to drive the HD800 I guess). 

But it's getting a bit off-topic now since this is a Shure SRH 1840 & Shure SRH 1440 thread. 

Last post about the HD800, I promise!

No, it's not the amp: tried it on HDVD800, 600, an Aune (forgot which one): for all intents and purposes, no difference. Of course, you can say I have bad ears, but I can still hear that metallic edge. Perhaps I'm just used to warmer, more V-shaped stuff.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #2,074 of 2,282
Has anyone compared SRH1840 vs Senn HD600? I'm seriously considering getting the HD600 - there's not many neutral reference headphones in this price range

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #2,075 of 2,282
  Last post about the HD800, I promise!

No, it's not the amp: tried it on HDVD800, 600, an Aune (forgot which one): for all intents and purposes, no difference. Of course, you can say I have bad ears, but I can still hear that metallic edge. Perhaps I'm just used to warmer, more V-shaped stuff.

I tried the HD800 with my Chord Mojo, and it sounded amazing - but probably because the Mojo has a very natural almost vinyl like presentation of the sound with slight warmth. I can see how the HD800s might not play nice with something like Lavry DA or other more brutally honest sounding dacs

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #2,076 of 2,282
Well, I bought the HD650 as a forgiving headphone today. To those who consider selling their Shure SRH 1840 and get a Sennheiser H6XX, don't bother. The Shure SRH 1840 is faster, more detailed and also has better imaging and soundstage. It's more like a "side-grade" rather than an upgrade.

You also take a step back in terms of build quality and comfort. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #2,077 of 2,282
Well, I bought the HD650 as a forgiving headphone today. To those who consider selling their Shure SRH 1840 and get a Sennheiser H6XX, don't bother. The Shure SRH 1840 is faster, more detailed and also has better imaging and soundstage. It's more like a "side-grade" rather than an upgrade.

You also take a step back in terms of build quality and comfort. 

Hd600 is different thatn the hd650, did you compare with the 600? At least the senns don't distort like crazy.. I returned the 1840 because of this, it was astonishing how much it distorted

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #2,079 of 2,282
Hd600 is different thatn the hd650, did you compare with the 600? At least the senns don't distort like crazy.. I returned the 1840 because of this, it was astonishing how much it distorted

If you hear actual distortion it could be your source. The only thing I hear is a warm bass, but no actual distortion on the Chord Hugo. 

I did compare the HD600, HD650 and HD800 this week. The HD600 and HD650 were identical except that the HD650 had more bass and was a bit darker sounding. Not much difference between the 2 headphones.

I don't see the HD6XX as an upgrade but as a side-grade since the Shure SRH 1840 wins in other area's. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #2,081 of 2,282
  Did you use it with proper amp? I CAN hear something weird happening in bass when i use 1840 straight from STX soundcard or phone, but it's gone when it's plugged to my Lycan amp.

Yes, I used a Chord Mojo which has no problem driving most headphones

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #2,082 of 2,282

If you hear actual distortion it could be your source. The only thing I hear is a warm bass, but no actual distortion on the Chord Hugo. 

I did compare the HD600, HD650 and HD800 this week. The HD600 and HD650 were identical except that the HD650 had more bass and was a bit darker sounding. Not much difference between the 2 headphones.

I don't see the HD6XX as an upgrade but as a side-grade since the Shure SRH 1840 wins in other area's. 

I'm using a Chord Mojo as source, which has the same amp stage as the Chord Hugo, so it's not the source that's the problem.

It is not so easy to notice the distortion with normal music. If you use a frequency sweep say 20hz > 80hz over 10 seconds at a loudish listening level (onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html), you will notice how the tone is not pure but has a buzz/colouring, this is the harmonic distortion. If you test it with some bass heavy tracks and you chop off everything above 150hz using an eq, turn the volume up, and compare to other headphones, the distortion of the bass will be audible. Under normal volume listening of music, I don't hear the distortion directly, but I know it's there - it affects the overall sound of the headphone to translate to a grainy, papery (for lack of better word) but warmish sound. That's why even with the anaemic bass (as the measurements suggest), I can still "hear" the bass, thanks to the harmonic distortion, it has a dirty feel to it.

I returned the headphones explaining this issue and the retailer also confirmed the problem. Now, it doesn't mean this headphone can't be enjoyed, I guess I could have turned a blind eye to this problem and enjoyed the 1840s anyway as they do have other nice qualities, but to me this level of distortion was unforgivable at this price, especially as they are touted as studio/pro.

I heard the HD600 in a store, so I can't compare it properly yet (it's arriving today), but there wasn't a big difference in the overall sound apart from the low distortion, which translates in a smoother more honest sound to me, less grain and better quality bass. Considering the HD600 is significantly cheaper now, i just don't see the advantage of the 1840s.

Of course my view can change completely once I do extensive listening with the Senns :)

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #2,084 of 2,282
I can nothing but heavily encourage everyone owning this phone to re-cable for balanced mode. Prior to that I did the mod with a piece of rope (23-24 cm long, 0,8-1 cm thick) to an SRH1440 and SRH1840. The thicker one fits well under 1840's pads. Isolation from outside remarkabely improves on both cans. Change in SQ with the 1440 was just very little. But it was very noticeable with SRH1840. Not only more bass but more refined and way more defined. I operate these cans on an HD53N amplifier.

By changing to XLR-3p balanced re-cabling  the sound quality improves amazingly. I realize now a sound stage and scene not only 180 degrees but even more than that. I now can easily locate applause where it comes from not only left and right but also in depth, whether it comes from row 15 or row 1 or 2. Just amazing.

I also ran a HD800 in balanced mode with same amplifier (this I got recommended specially to fit well with HD800) but it was only a deception in terms of expected stage and scene but also in terms of volume which surprised me a little. I was not able to listen well at lower volume. This I can do now with the SRH1840 and the sound comes just energetically and powerful but not loud. I listen now at 10 o'clock (low gain) where before I needed 1 o'clock to listen just moderate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back