Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Mar 20, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,101 of 2,282
I have read one review about the SRH 1840 that this headphones does not take you with technicalities. That guy also stated that with two tables one HiFiMan cans most of them will choose the HifiMan because of its technical presentation, the 1840 is something that grows in you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #2,104 of 2,282
I picked the 1840s after auditioning them head-to-head against the Senn HD600s and 650s and Beyer DT880s and 990s (both 250 ohm versions). All were auditioned on the same rig. I picked the 1840s simply because they sounded natural and pleasant to my ear, more so than the others, and they were also quite comfortable. I paid $400 new (brick and mortar store -- I may have been able to save a few pennies online)

I've had them around a month, and so far no regrets. I don't think that they will be the one and only set of open back cans that I ever own. In particular, I'd like to get a set of LCD-X or 3s some day, but for now those are well beyond my budget, and in the mean time I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of these 1840s.

I have two rigs that I've tried them on (other than the one at the store, which I don't recall). One is a Hegel HD-12 DAC / Lake People G-103 amp. The other is a NuForce Icon HDP DAC/amp combo. The former sounds better, but the latter gets more use simply because it's in my main media room, where I spend quite a bit of time,

My view on the whole distortions hubbub is that if you're buying sight unseen and all you have to go by is graphs, then go with the headphone that gives you the best graph. But having listened to these phones and determined that to my ears they sound natural and pleasing, that's all I need to know.

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #2,105 of 2,282
I picked the 1840s after auditioning them head-to-head against the Senn HD600s and 650s and Beyer DT880s and 990s (both 250 ohm versions). All were auditioned on the same rig. I picked the 1840s simply because they sounded natural and pleasant to my ear, more so than the others, and they were also quite comfortable. I paid $400 new (brick and mortar store -- I may have been able to save a few pennies online)

I've had them around a month, and so far no regrets. I don't think that they will be the one and only set of open back cans that I ever own. In particular, I'd like to get a set of LCD-X or 3s some day, but for now those are well beyond my budget, and in the mean time I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of these 1840s.

I have two rigs that I've tried them on (other than the one at the store, which I don't recall). One is a Hegel HD-12 DAC / Lake People G-103 amp. The other is a NuForce Icon HDP DAC/amp combo. The former sounds better, but the latter gets more use simply because it's in my main media room, where I spend quite a bit of time,

My view on the whole distortions hubbub is that if you're buying sight unseen and all you have to go by is graphs, then go with the headphone that gives you the best graph. But having listened to these phones and determined that to my ears they sound natural and pleasing, that's all I need to know.

I am happy that you are enjoying the SRH 1840, i guess not all people have been able to listen to this cans. i am also planning to upgrade and looking particularlly on a balanced end to end set up. :)

May 22, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #2,106 of 2,282
Shure SRH1440 was my first touch to higher end headphone products and they sounded so brilliant. After I got Beyerdynamic DT150 and eventually Hifiman HE-400 which is my latest Hifi headphone at the moment, Shures haven't got much listening lately. Now when I return to SRH1440, I find them very bright! Today I just thought that maybe some other pads would help, so I took my HE-400 pleather pads, and even though they're circural design, they got stretched to oval shape very well and fit is pretty perfect. Many pad roller probably know that typically leather pads reduce treble and boost bass, and Shures aren't exception. Treble is now calmed down but not too much and sound is more pleasant. Also bass has got extra boost, which is great aswell as SRH1440 are quite light in bass area. I'm pleasantly surprised of positive changes in sound, pleather pads will stay! Maybe Shures will now get more listening in future!

May 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #2,107 of 2,282
  Shure SRH1440 was my first touch to higher end headphone products and they sounded so brilliant. After I got Beyerdynamic DT150 and eventually Hifiman HE-400 which is my latest Hifi headphone at the moment, Shures haven't got much listening lately. Now when I return to SRH1440, I find them very bright! Today I just thought that maybe some other pads would help, so I took my HE-400 pleather pads, and even though they're circural design, they got stretched to oval shape very well and fit is pretty perfect. Many pad roller probably know that typically leather pads reduce treble and boost bass, and Shures aren't exception. Treble is now calmed down but not too much and sound is more pleasant. Also bass has got extra boost, which is great aswell as SRH1440 are quite light in bass area. I'm pleasantly surprised of positive changes in sound, pleather pads will stay! Maybe Shures will now get more listening in future!

My situation is almost identical to yours.  Loved them when I first got them but now after experiencing several other HP's I find them too bright.  Just ordered some flat and angled Brainwavz pleather pads.  Hopefully my experience will mimic yours.  Thanks for the tip.

May 22, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,108 of 2,282
  My situation is almost identical to yours.  Loved them when I first got them but now after experiencing several other HP's I find them too bright.  Just ordered some flat and angled Brainwavz pleather pads.  Hopefully my experience will mimic yours.  Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome, I hope Brainwavz pads will have positive impact on sound. Post some impressions once you get them!
wink.gif

May 24, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,111 of 2,282
  I have a general question for you guys.  Is it possible to adjust the sound of these headphones to an optimal level using the foobar equalizer?

I don't use EQ anymore these days, but I do use foobar as my main music player on computer. I think SRH1440 seems to be pretty responsive with foobar equalizer so why not.

May 24, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,112 of 2,282
Well I received my brainwavz pads and I'll agree with everything @ilmothedude said.  Tamed the highs in a nice way and boosted the bass quite nicely.  I still won't call these a warm can by any means but I feel they now compliment my warm cans nicely.  I will say these pads are no where near as comfortable as the stock pads but not uncomfortable either.  The trade-off in comfort is well worth it to me.  I also bought the angled pads as well and I'll try them later on and report back.  Kinda of a pain to replace the pads but doable.  

May 24, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,114 of 2,282
Do you have the link in where we can buy the pads? I am have read somewhere that the 1540 pads can also tame the highs of the 1440/1840

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go:
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

May 24, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,115 of 2,282
  Well I received my brainwavz pads and I'll agree with everything @ilmothedude said.  Tamed the highs in a nice way and boosted the bass quite nicely.  I still won't call these a warm can by any means but I feel they now compliment my warm cans nicely.  I will say these pads are no where near as comfortable as the stock pads but not uncomfortable either.  The trade-off in comfort is well worth it to me.  I also bought the angled pads as well and I'll try them later on and report back.  Kinda of a pain to replace the pads but doable.  

Great to hear! I agree that stock velours are more comfy but HE-400 pleathers are still allright, not uncomfy. Sound signature change is so major in positive way that comfort trade-off is well worth it indeed. Feels like pleathers breathed new life to SRH1440!
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back