Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jan 18, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,086 of 2,282
  the 1840s are absolutely unreal.....So much detail, and unbelievable clarity

For acoustic music, these (1840) are unmatched.....I was seriously laughing out loud while listing to these this morning....The mid clarity, and soundstage--WOW!

Agree. These headphones are special. They got crapped on because they didn't, uh, "measure well" and other snobbery..

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,087 of 2,282
Yes indeed. It is to me like having two small but good LS playing in a small room. Sometimes I dont know, am I listening to them or to the LS? ... It is just amazing. After tons of a/b testing vs HD800 it is always the same what I think once I put on the HD800 like "damn', something is missing here ......", It is like it is!

This magazine comments on an Headamp worth $3.000 and picked up the SRH1840 (balanced only!!) and one other called Ultrasone whatever worth $1.000 and are delighted with what they heard, see: http://www.musikae.fr/resources/hEADAdigifiVol14.pdf ..... Anyway not telling the HD800 is poor but the SRH1840 has just one fault .... it is way to cheap !!!!!!

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,088 of 2,282
I've considered these to be my summit headphones. Unfortunately with no headphone stores near me, I have to rely on user input.
I'm coming from the Etymotic ER4S where everything is near neutral, coming across a similar frequency response chart that is the SRH-1840. These could possibly be my summit headphones. The reason I look for neutral is because I want a headphone that works with every genre, no more no less. The ER4S is capable of that, and I hope the Shure SRH-1840's will too.

Edit: I'm not interested in the bass distortion thing, I'll just buy them when I get the funds and judge them for myself. It seems like a fairly personal topic here.

Edit 2: The distortion is real (based on graphs) welp.

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #2,090 of 2,282
Just sharing my 1840 :)

i can say that 1840 is Neutral, nothing to is put to emphasis nor boosts certain regions. I am not sure why this headphones are snobbed by many people? is it because of the bandwagon effect from other products? sometimes i question myself if i made the right decision on choosing this one but everytime i sit down and listen to it, it makes me wonder if this is not good enough, then what will be the difference form those top tier category? yes it is not cheap but i feel the thing that makes me question my purchase is the assurance that i got a good headphones. :)

but for those looking for "bass" this will not satisfy you. What the headphones do is to present the bass as it is but will not emphasize on it until it needs to.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #2,091 of 2,282
Ill say this My phvi to my ears are totl sound and so are the 1840's imho. People usually cant agree on anything ..different strokes for different folks but dont let that diminish these great headphones for you :) to me the diminishing returns aspect has been reached to a point im content ymmv

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #2,092 of 2,282
Ill say this My phvi to my ears are totl sound and so are the 1840's imho. People usually cant agree on anything ..different strokes for different folks but dont let that diminish these great headphones for you
smily_headphones1.gif
to me the diminishing returns aspect has been reached to a point im content ymmv

Thank you Sir!

By the way are there any after market upgrade cables for our 1840? :)

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2,093 of 2,282
You can go the balanced route i dont have the upstream equipment for that rightnow so not looking into it myself but there may be upgraded options out there to haven't looked yet. I do love the balance of these 1840's clean & clear, no distortion that i can hear

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #2,094 of 2,282

sometimes i question myself if i made the right decision on choosing this one but everytime i sit down and listen to it, it makes me wonder if this is not good enough, then what will be the difference form those top tier category?

This is exactly what I often think, but these doubts disappear after listening a couple of hours to the Shure........ I had here an HD800 brand new that I could source really cheap. After decent period of break-in I paired it in balanced mode with my HD53N and tested vs. SRH1840, again and again, a/b tests more and more back and forward .... until I gave up. It is a tremendous headphone but it gave me nothing I haven't heard before, everything was more than just accurate, everything fine, every note where it is supposed to be, but it did not caught me, nothing was really emotional, it did not take me away like the Shure does. I was even biased to see the HD800 in front in terms of stage and scene because of the value, the money it costs, etc., nothing helped, I had to surrender, I sold it ...........

But lamentably I did not learn so much from this episode :frowning2: .... I am now in the process of breaking-in an HE-560 just out of curiosity, if something could be out there (maybe in planar's world?) in the range below €1000 that gives me more than those SRH1840  ......... will see!

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #2,095 of 2,282

This is exactly what I often think, but these doubts disappear after listening a couple of hours to the Shure........ I had here an HD800 brand new that I could source really cheap. After decent period of break-in I paired it in balanced mode with my HD53N and tested vs. SRH1840, again and again, a/b tests more and more back and forward .... until I gave up. It is a tremendous headphone but it gave me nothing I haven't heard before, everything was more than just accurate, everything fine, every note where it is supposed to be, but it did not caught me, nothing was really emotional, it did not take me away like the Shure does. I was even biased to see the HD800 in front in terms of stage and scene because of the value, the money it costs, etc., nothing helped, I had to surrender, I sold it ...........

But lamentably I did not learn so much from this episode :frowning2: .... I am now in the process of breaking-in an HE-560 just out of curiosity, if something could be out there (maybe in planar's world?) in the range below €1000 that gives me more than those SRH1840  ......... will see!

Hi Mr. Molins,

What are the equipment you paired with the 1840?

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back