Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Aug 17, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #961 of 3,855

Quote:

Wow, that's pretty good for only ~$10. Maybe I should make a headphone stand/rack as a project after my summer course has ended.

Does anyone know where I could find a decent deal on these 'phones (excluding Ebay) in the U.S.? So far I think a vendor from Amazon.com has the lowest price, $275.

Heya,

Headphones.com, a sponsor here, you get a 15% discount and free shipping, puts them down to about $255 shipped.

SRH940 on Headphones.com
How the 15% off works.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #962 of 3,855
Same deal at earphonesolutions.com
(using code B2S2011 yields a 15% savings)

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #963 of 3,855
Aug 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #964 of 3,855
I just received my SRH940's and must say that I am quite pleased with the overall sound.   Tonally, it is very well-balanced and reflects quite accurately the source recording.    The velour pads are comfortable, with clamping force being just about that required to keep them in place during normal head movements.  

There is good bass extension and highs are nicely presented without sibilance.  This is a revealing headphone and will likely not be a favorite with mediocre recordings.  This is to be expected as the 940 has been designed as a monitor headphone.  This is clearly spelled out on the packaging. 

The better the source, the better these phones perform.  While this is true in general with most equipment, it seems especially applicable to the 940.   Soundstage is larger than is typical of most closed cans and imaging is rock-solid both in width and depth. 

The construction seems solid and durable despite being plastic.  The included spare set of pads and extra cable that are included in the moulded case are a welcome addition that other manufacturers would do well to copy.

I do believe that the 940 can be compared favorably with top-tier dynamic phones costing considerably more.

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #965 of 3,855
What amp are you using with the 940's ? Considering buying them but i don't have an amp other than Xonar ST and i think is about time to upgrade.

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #966 of 3,855

Quote:
What amp are you using with the 940's ? Considering buying them but i don't have an amp other than Xonar ST and i think is about time to upgrade.

Heya,

The SRH940's do not need significant amping, but they do benefit. They play fine from my Sansa Fuze. They'll be great out of your ST. I did however notice extension in the low end fill out a lot more on various amps. On my solid state, it was normal. On my tube, it comes out some more. On my receiver, it was booming, but without distortion. The SRH940's can go quite a bit more in the bass department without distortion, their extension ability is pretty nuts. But even without a specific amp, the mids & highs are just gorgeous, bright, and forward and sibilance free even at high volume.

Very best,

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #968 of 3,855
Received my SRH940s yesterday and I have to say, upon opening the box, my first impression was that they looked cheap.  The plastic construction, and adjustment mechanism feels like it could very easily break.  For $300, I honestly expect a little more refinement when it comes to the construction. 

As for comfort, they are mediocre.  First off, like my K702s, these have bumps on the headband.  Why do this?  I would much prefer a flat, cushioned headband instead of the bumps.  My K702s have these as well, but the SRH940 bumps are quite a bit softer than the K702s.  Still on comfort here - my ears rest against the inner lining of the cups.  That's sort of a pet peeve of mine.  I don't like that.

Now, on to the sound.

Bottom line, they sound quite good.  Comparing them to my K702s, to my ears, the 940s have a slight edge when it comes to detail retrieval.  They are close, but the 940s appear to be able to pull a little more detail out of songs.  Now, this does come with one caveat though.  On some songs, I do hear some harshness in the highs.  This doesn't happen on my K702s but they have more hours on them than the 940s.  Overall though, the 940s are on the bright side.

Also, to my ears, the vocals on the 940s are pushed to the foreground somewhat.  The 940s do them justice for sure.  The vocals sound very clear and detailed albeit a little on the thin side.

As for bass, it's there for sure.  I would say that it is comparable to my K702s.  There actually may be a little more bass on the 940s compared to my K702s.  They are pretty close though.

All in all, I definitely like the sound of the SRH940s.  They can be bright on some tracks but they also produce great details, good vocals and pretty nice bass.  As for the build-quality - they could be a lot better.  The cheap plastic feel really bugs me and may ultimately decide on whether or not I keep them. 

Both of the headphones were hooked up to my Matrix M-stage and I listened to only FLACs or high bit-rate MP3s.

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #969 of 3,855
i bought a fiio e11 for my new 940s just to be sure. they do benefit from amping... although they run just fine without an amp straight from my ipod classic or macbook.

so for those on the fence about getting an amp... it is not necessary. for those saying that it needs an amp to open up the lows... then they are probably using a colored amplifier. 

just thought i would share this.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #970 of 3,855

Quote:

I have used my PS Audio GCHA, a Project Sunrise DIY tube/hybrid and my iBasso D6.   I have also run them directly from my H120 and Sony A820 DAP.   They sounded just fine with everything.   I didn't try them with my iBasso T3, but I am sure that it would pair very well with them.  You don't need a big bucks amp for the 940's, although the source quality is very important.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #972 of 3,855

Quote:
It was kind-of mentioned in MalVeauX's review of the SRH940's but will the paint wear off from these 'phones (as in the paint wears way from use, exposing the white plastic underneath)?

Heya,

Won't know for a while. It was one of the flaws, but they do scratch. The plastic isn't made of super hard durable stuff (unlike Ultrasone hard rubber plastic stuff, that stuff is tank). I have a scratch on mine now. I cannot see under it, there's no white showing through, it's the same color. So if nothing, the normal wear and tear will not reveal the under lying material likely. There are a few people who have had their SRH940's since release. Maybe they can chime in how bad the damage has been since release and if the paint has been an issue.

Very best,

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #973 of 3,855

Quote:
I have used my PS Audio GCHA, a Project Sunrise DIY tube/hybrid and my iBasso D6.   I have also run them directly from my H120 and Sony A820 DAP.   They sounded just fine with everything.   I didn't try them with my iBasso T3, but I am sure that it would pair very well with them.  You don't need a big bucks amp for the 940's, although the source quality is very important.

Nice thanks !

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #974 of 3,855

Quote:

I would figure this kind of headphones would actually benefit more from a proper source rather than an amplifier. Same is with my K272's and many other phones I've tried. Amplifiers are overrated. 

I see the 940 isn't built to the toughest standards... The 840 seemed really cheap and felt like they would break from almost anything, not to mention a small drop. Too much cheap, hollow plastic parts. I had something loose in my other cup very soon after I bought them. Something kept bouncing around in the cup every time I moved, like a detached small plastic piece. One day it just stopped... Perhaps found its way back to its original location, or just dropped out :) And they squeaked a LOT.

Ah, if everything was made like the HD25-1 or DT-150. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back