Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Aug 12, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #946 of 3,855

Quote:
I have a question. Has anyone tryed the 940's for home cinema and movies?

Heya,

I've been using them nightly for movies in the middle of the night (3am~4am... like right now!). They're incredible for movies. The detail was crazy. Movies have so much detail we miss because we keep volumes tolerable for everyone, you have to turn it up to hear everything in quiet scenes, but on a headphone those details are very apparent, and the SRH940 puts them forward. It's glorious. It has good deep bass extension without letting it take over. So you get your explosions, your rumbling deep space ships floating in space, but in a way that makes it so you can still hear someone whisper. Incredible headphones for the cost for everything I've put them up against so far. Like, literlaly, I'm selling my signature's list of headphones at this point because this headphone just took my breath away. I'm keeping the Pro 900's and that's it, simply due to bass crazy basshead moments I have for electronic music. At this point, I just use my SRH940's and PRO 900's. And of them, the SRH940 gets all the love because it just has more application to everything.

I can't recommend it enough if you want a detail monster headphone with great forward luscious mids and 5hz bass extension. It's a comfortable Grado with bass that is closed. Literally.

Very best,

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #948 of 3,855

Quote:
Movies have so much detail we miss because we keep volumes tolerable for everyone, you have to turn it up to hear everything in quiet scenes, but on a headphone those details are very apparent

Just being picky here... but if you have a good quality external setup you don't need loud volumes to hear everything.  Headphones bring this to you at thousands of dollars less, that I will say confidently.

Long time home theater and external hi-fi enthusiast here -- headphone interest is only roughly a year old for me.

Not bashing you here, just being picky :) In total I find your assessments and insights to the Shure 940 useful/helpful to understanding what the 940 has to offer, and I agree with you on almost every account.  I would say our reviews (although yours more extensive than mine, surprisingly enough) agree on almost every level.

Most reviews seem to be pretty short around here so I was happy to see someone else deliver an extensive review on the 940; it best arms the consumer to make the right decisions.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #949 of 3,855

Quote:
Just being picky here... but if you have a good quality external setup you don't need loud volumes to hear everything.  Headphones bring this to you at thousands of dollars less, that I will say confidently.

Long time home theater and external hi-fi enthusiast here -- headphone interest is only roughly a year old for me.

Not bashing you here, just being picky :) In total I find your assessments and insights to the Shure 940 useful/helpful to understanding what the 940 has to offer, and I agree with you on almost every account.  I would say our reviews (although yours more extensive than mine, surprisingly enough) agree on almost every level.

Most reviews seem to be pretty short around here so I was happy to see someone else deliver an extensive review on the 940; it best arms the consumer to make the right decisions.

Heya,

And I have a good home theater setup as well. It's still not the same. House noise. People noise. Breathing even. You have to be fairly close to a loudspeaker to actually hear the detail, subtle detail, compared to a headphone which puts it right in your face. I use my home theater during the day. I use my SRH940 at night for obvious reasons. So while I get what you're saying, and it's true to an extent, it's not a night/day thing. Even a $10,000 setup is going to have problems rendering the best detail at low volumes that you can actually  hear sitting in a properly spaced normal sized room. Now if you have a sound dampened room, sealed, with no echo and nothing that can produce a rattle or resonate, then sure, loud speakers will blow someone away. The room matters so much in that setup. A headphone does it without any of that problem. It's a lot easier to slip into. And of course, the cost is a fraction. Overall, a good loud speaker setup is simply amazing and I would definitely rather listen to an excellent $20k system at all times, but it just doesn't mesh well with other people in the house and the times one may want to do things. Hrm... need a second house maybe, with an audio den. Hrm...
evil_smiley.gif

Very best,

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #950 of 3,855
oh, come on..
don't tell us that srh940 can beat HE500 in any area...

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #952 of 3,855

Quote:
oh, come on..

Don't underestimate the technical capabilities of Shure's headphones.  They really are quite surprising.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #953 of 3,855

Quote:
oh, come on..

Heya,

Didn't say beat, but as simple as comparing to several headphones that are in a whole different tier, then yes. The SRH940 actually can compare to some high end stuff. That's not beating them. That's simply comparing to them. And not in all areas, in some areas. It's handy information to consider if your budget isn't $1,000. You'll find a lot of Orthos owners also having the K701 for example. It's not because they like going down to the K701. Headphones really are just "what I want to hear right now." And just because something is technically better doesn't mean it sounds better for what you're wanting to hear.

Very best,

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #954 of 3,855

Quote:
Heya,

Didn't say beat, but as simple as comparing to several headphones that are in a whole different tier, then yes. The SRH940 actually can compare to some high end stuff. That's not beating them. That's simply comparing to them. And not in all areas, in some areas. It's handy information to consider if your budget isn't $1,000. You'll find a lot of Orthos owners also having the K701 for example. It's not because they like going down to the K701. Headphones really are just "what I want to hear right now." And just because something is technically better doesn't mean it sounds better for what you're wanting to hear.

Very best,

I have to make some corrections to the above statement. I think it is music one wants to hear, not the headphones. Never the headphones. Sorry if I'm so blunt, but I really think people should see headphones as tools for music, not the other way around. I know this is a toy-hobby, but one headphone should be enough, ideally (disregarding listening environments). If it's a technically good headphone, it can, without compromise, reproduce the content which was intended by the artist. If one learns to listen to the music, give absolute value to it, follow it to the note and allow it to suck you in mindfully, petty differences between coloration, sound stage or bass-impact become completely irrelevant. By following the music you only realize how good a headphone really is. If I have a headphone that does this good, it is good for everything regardless of musical genre. 

But it's boys with toys :) Can't deny that and I'm just as primitive when it comes to that, heh. Just wanted to share an ideology. But you raise a valid point with your last paragraph. One's mind is a powerful entity and since we're all individuals, it pretty much renders everything subjective. Which again, leads me to be more careful and critical when viewing these forums. 
So, in a way this was my way of verbally opening up and filling my pants with ice. Thank you for listening! :)

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #955 of 3,855

Quote:

I have to make some corrections to the above statement. I think it is music one wants to hear, not the headphones. Never the headphones. Sorry if I'm so blunt, but I really think people should see headphones as tools for music, not the other way around. I know this is a toy-hobby, but one headphone should be enough, ideally (disregarding listening environments). If it's a technically good headphone, it can, without compromise, reproduce the content which was intended by the artist. If one learns to listen to the music, give absolute value to it, follow it to the note and allow it to suck you in mindfully, petty differences between coloration, sound stage or bass-impact become completely irrelevant. By following the music you only realize how good a headphone really is. If I have a headphone that does this good, it is good for everything regardless of musical genre. 

But it's boys with toys :) Can't deny that and I'm just as primitive when it comes to that, heh. Just wanted to share an ideology. But you raise a valid point with your last paragraph. One's mind is a powerful entity and since we're all individuals, it pretty much renders everything subjective. Which again, leads me to be more careful and critical when viewing these forums. 
So, in a way this was my way of verbally opening up and filling my pants with ice. Thank you for listening! :)

If that was a correction, then here's the audit: A colored headphone changes how the music sounds. You're listening to it. It's that simple. You want a fun, or colored, or whatever headphone because it makes your music sound how you want it to sound and you enjoy it, then you're doing it right. I don't reach for a neutral headphone when I'm listening to electronic music. I don't reach for a colored headphone when I'm listening to acoustic. You don't know what was intended by the artist. You only have the recording. And whether or not you like it. Period.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #957 of 3,855

Quote:
Heya,

And I have a good home theater setup as well. It's still not the same. House noise. People noise. Breathing even. You have to be fairly close to a loudspeaker to actually hear the detail, subtle detail, compared to a headphone which puts it right in your face. I use my home theater during the day. I use my SRH940 at night for obvious reasons. So while I get what you're saying, and it's true to an extent, it's not a night/day thing. Even a $10,000 setup is going to have problems rendering the best detail at low volumes that you can actually  hear sitting in a properly spaced normal sized room. Now if you have a sound dampened room, sealed, with no echo and nothing that can produce a rattle or resonate, then sure, loud speakers will blow someone away. The room matters so much in that setup. A headphone does it without any of that problem. It's a lot easier to slip into. And of course, the cost is a fraction. Overall, a good loud speaker setup is simply amazing and I would definitely rather listen to an excellent $20k system at all times, but it just doesn't mesh well with other people in the house and the times one may want to do things. Hrm... need a second house maybe, with an audio den. Hrm...
evil_smiley.gif

Very best,

We're on the exact same page here, except for the sentence where you mention that you must be close to the loudspeaker to hear all the details.... everyone just needs to be silent to a certain extent and headphones provide that environment.

You obviously addressed this point in your statement though. I am exactly on the same page with you on this one, but may prefer external just a bit more to headphones? (just a guess)

Don't give me any ideas with the audio den!

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #958 of 3,855

Quote:
If that was a correction, then here's the audit: A colored headphone changes how the music sounds. You're listening to it. It's that simple. You want a fun, or colored, or whatever headphone because it makes your music sound how you want it to sound and you enjoy it, then you're doing it right. I don't reach for a neutral headphone when I'm listening to electronic music. I don't reach for a colored headphone when I'm listening to acoustic. You don't know what was intended by the artist. You only have the recording. And whether or not you like it. Period.

Very best,

Sorry, you didn't seem to grasp my point :)

I'm speaking of music. I sense you don't listen to melodically or harmonically rich music much? I'm not speaking of coloration but something that is objective and indeed not promised by neutrality: the ability to play notes in truth to their pitch, distinguish them. I don't know about modern music; maybe it has a goal to touch one physically (ouch 
normal_smile .gif
). But of course I know and you know what is generally intended by the artist. The artists tells you a story in the form of notes and if you can't hear that reproduced, the equipment is poor. With poor headphones, if I may develop a metaphor, it's like you're reading a book written by someone who is severely dyslexic. You have to reread words to understand, maybe get feeling that you might be dyslexic yourself. One does not need to be musically educated to appreciate this aforementioned factor.
Ergo, you're still speaking of hi-fi (how things sound) and I'm speaking of music (how it can be interpreted). Coloration, as long as within acceptable limits, does not play a supporting role in this. 

Easy enough?

"A colored headphone changes how the music sounds. You're listening to it. It's that simple."

To even further clarify with a question: The music, or the sound? 

It's that simple :)

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #960 of 3,855

Quote:
Edited to remove content. Post was going no where. Degrading thread. Appologies to non-Trolls.

Made a stand for the SRH940 out of red oak for about $10:

Very best,

Wow, that's pretty good for only ~$10. Maybe I should make a headphone stand/rack as a project after my summer course has ended.

Does anyone know where I could find a decent deal on these 'phones (excluding Ebay) in the U.S.? So far I think a vendor from Amazon.com has the lowest price, $275.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back