Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jul 1, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #616 of 3,855

Quote:
The promotion code ET5 still works at "earphone solution" ("head fi sponsor"  AND  "shure authorised " reseller)  , you can get the  srh940 at 255$ shipped.
I know there is  better offer elsewhere , but was more confident  with the website.
I  found weird that the price was not displayed at RMC (you have to contact them first, what's this BS ?) , and  I  don't believe in miracles either
for Electronics-Expo (126$ a new srh940 ? No way!).

I too got the $126 price on the SRH940 headphones. They have a screwed up coupon! lol. The way I figured it it is 60% off, not the 30% that it is supposed to be. I don't complain when deals like that fall in my lap. I have an order notification email, an email that says it shipped, and a tracking number. I guess I got lucky as well. And if the order is not as described (new, sealed, etc.) that I will be able to get my money back according to their check out system. 

BTW I am NOT a long time lurker I am not a long time reader of headphone forums, just a guy wanting to know what I just bought, lol.

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #617 of 3,855
Quote:
I work at the most reputable audio store in montreal, and I can demo a lot of headphones. Trust me, burn in is no joke. A brand new pair of srh940 barely sound better than the srh440's mainly due to no burn-in whatsoever. You definitely need to put in a modest 50 hours at least to be able to judge.

Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about!  I totally agree, n = 1 > Physics

Jul 2, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #619 of 3,855
As positive as the praise is here, I still take pause without the guidance of a scholar, a conveyor of wisdom and conserver of praise. Someone not given to the tides of popular sentiments.

Nevertheless, might someone contrast the bass with that of other popular headphones which do not emphasize bass? Perhaps the K701, AD700, or HD600. A master's degree or higher is desired but not required. Thank you.

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #620 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by ChiComm4 

"As positive as the praise is here, I still take pause without the guidance of a scholar, a conveyor of wisdom and conserver of praise. Someone not given to the tides of popular sentiments.
Nevertheless, might someone contrast the bass with that of other popular headphones which do not emphasize bass? Perhaps the K701, AD700, or HD600. A master's degree or higher is desired but not required. Thank you."

I feel the risk is minimal. At best I found a replacement for my 840. At worst I'll return them. But if they're even a small improvement over the 840 I'll keep them.

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #621 of 3,855
Call me crazy, but looking over the graphs on headphone.com, the 940 is a different animal all together. If you like the 840, but want something other then 840's, take a look at the AKG 240 mkII. I about leaped out of my pants when I saw those two graphs next to each other. Cause I like the AKG 240's just not for my use, thus I didn't pick the 840's as my first choice. I will be using the 940's for mixing/monitoring/listening to mixes in our studio at home and at our main place of business. The flatter of the two, should be what I am looking for, to a point (meaning we listen to speakers/headphones, not graphs). 

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #622 of 3,855

Quote:
As positive as the praise is here, I still take pause without the guidance of a scholar, a conveyor of wisdom and conserver of praise. Someone not given to the tides of popular sentiments.

Nevertheless, might someone contrast the bass with that of other popular headphones which do not emphasize bass? Perhaps the K701, AD700, or HD600. A master's degree or higher is desired but not required. Thank you.

Bass is as Neutral as it gets, not bland, weak nor dry but precise, very controlled and with well balanced impact, they are not dry. dark nor warm, actually, I find their tonal balance very natural. Keep in mind these headphones are NOT for bassheads.
If you are not a basshead, basically, if you like natural/live reproduction this cans shine with all kinds of acoustic (orchestral, chamber, voice, jazz, etc.)  and experimental electronic music (orchestral, minimal, noise, drone, etc.) since I hardly listen to rock/pop, I cannot comment on that. On the negative side, I still find them slightly (very minimum) harsh on the treble, but it has been getting better as I play them, perhaps after a 100hours more they will be perfect.
So, the 940's bass is not dark like the hd600's and not weak like the k701's, I havent heard the AD700's, so no comment.

(image missing)%3D%3D[/img]

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #623 of 3,855
When I get mine I'll burn them for 4 days before I even listen. Here's my burn loop:

Pink noise (20 min) > Pink Floyd's "Echoes" > 20 mins silence > Tool's "Third Eye".

I figure after 4 days of that they'll be what they're going to be.

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #624 of 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..I very, very briefly compared the 940's and 702's and the 702's actually sounded DARK, DISTANT, and too laid back compared to the 940's!..

It's hard for me to believe that. The 701/702 are the clearest headphones I know!
(Note: I am using a Violectric/Lake People HPA V200 headphone amp: http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/products/hpav200.php)

Quote:

They also were a lot quieter on the same volume (via my M-Stage) and yea, the mids sounded weird in comparison. I also think the 940's have more and better bass (tighter, more articulate) but need to listen more but that's my general impression...

Did you really compare the 940 and 702 on the same(!) volume level!? If so, how you manage to adapt the volume? Did you have a headphone amp with two headphone outputs so you can change the phones very quickly "without" time lag?  As you know the louder one always will "win". :wink:

K 702: 62 ohm, 105 dB, 10-40 kHz
940:    42 Ohm (!), 100 dB, 5-30 kHz

"more" bass .. if there is bass in the music than it's OK. But than the 702 will also deliver bass! Not the more spectacular bass but the right one because the 702 are very neutral!
The sound of the 702 is very speaker-like. And I am aware of what that means because I can compare the sound to my very neutral monitor-like speakers:
* http://www.nubert.de/index.php?action=product&id=341&category=72 (with NAD C326BEE)
* http://www.nubert.de/index.php?action=product&id=26&category=3 (with Marantz SR 9600)
* http://www.nubert.de/index.php?action=product&id=1&category=1 (with Rotel RA02)

Btw...the bass on my Grado SR 325i is much punchier and seems deeper (but it isn't), also the trebles are "sharper" (sometimes too much!) and more present which gives someone the impression that it is "clearer" (but it isn't). Sometimes I like this ("in-head", "live") sound very much. But if I change to the 702 I get the most relaxed soundstage with fantastic clarity and neutrality over the whole freq. range (imho even better than the HD 800!).

Quote:

I've always though the 702's were somehow "off", but they still sounded better, more accurate, to me than any other can I've heard until now. Just goes to show you that even when you think you have found good/good enough sound, there can be better, much better, in the same price range!

The 702 are still "off" and will be. You can be sure :wink:

So...in a few month I think I will also order a Shure 940 to make my own comparition.

Regards
Tiad

PS: My cans are: AKG K500, K702, K271 Studio Monitor, Grado SR 325i, iGrado, Alessandro MS1i, Sennheiser HD 650, IE8 (in-ear), Beyerdynamic DT 880 Hifi 2005 Edition, T50p, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Goldring DR-150, Superlux HD 681B Monitor and some other low-end headphones like KOSS Porta pro, Sennheiser PX 100/200, ....

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #625 of 3,855
Just bought a pair of these and awaiting them in the mail.

I bought them because I was looking for sub $200, closed, straight cable, velour pads and full sized over ear for long session listening, good reference SQ.

The 940's stood out as the clear winner except for the price which is around $299 online. But good news, you can get them new online for $209 right now below. (Free shipping in US and will ship to Canada but best to contact them for best international USPS rates)

Shure SRH940 for $209 (just add them to cart)
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/shure-srh940-headphones.html

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #626 of 3,855
quick question about the 940s, do they suffer from the same tendency as the 840s where if you start rocking too hard they fall off your head?

is SpectrumAudio.com a legit site?
i can't seem to find anything about them.
but that price is nice

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #627 of 3,855
Jul 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #628 of 3,855
Very legit to me.
Check their ebay account here:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=spectrumaudio_com&&_trksid=p4340.l2560&iid=250844038748&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

If the prices on the SRH are about to shift lower and the $209 is going to be the new mean price that will make it pretty tough for the comparable phones to compete. Price drops from the competing models would surely follow.

So weird for me entering the headphone world. Audiophile guys shoot for ultimate Reference and Soundstage/Presence. Headphone guys want the sound to sound a certain way like bass heavy or warm or non-refenence because it's too clinical??

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #629 of 3,855
yeah i looked at their ebay and may just order from their as the ebay buyer protection is better than what spectrumaudio offers on headphones which is nothing.  no returns nothing according to their terms and policies

still great price!

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #630 of 3,855

Users who are viewing this thread

Back