Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jun 28, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #586 of 3,855

Quote:
It's not a used unit as far as I know. My receipt doesn't state SRH940OB (open box clearance item), I guess I'll find out when I receive them. I just tried the coupon again and it wasn't accepted on the 940's.

Looks like you got lucky!

Quote:
Anybody else feel like fakes aren't out of the question?  Careful, price reductions this quickly seem very questionable

Yea, I was wondering...that RMC Audio site looked kind of dodgy, however as Brooko states below:

Quote:
The RMCAudio will be legit.  It's where I bought my SRH840's.  They are an authorised dealer.

If that's true I'm going to see if headphone solutions will price match! See why I shouldn't have ordered so quickly! Arggh! 
basshead.gif

EDIT: According to Shure's site RMC Audio is not an authorized dealer (or at least they are not listed). I emailed RMC, but of course I'm sure they will say they are authorized to get my business. I need independent verification to really trust a retailer. As of now I'm sticking with the extra $50 because it is worth it to me to be "Shure" lol.

http://www.shure.com/americas/where-to-buy/online-retailers/index.htm

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #587 of 3,855

Quote:
Looks like you got lucky!

Yea, I was wondering...that RMC Audio site looked kind of dodgy, however as Brooko states below:

If that's true I'm going to see if headphone solutions will price match! See why I shouldn't have ordered so quickly! Arggh! 
basshead.gif

EDIT: According to Shure's site RMC Audio is not an authorized dealer (or at least they are not listed). I emailed RMC, but of course I'm sure they will say they are authorized to get my business. I need independent verification to really trust a retailer. As of now I'm sticking with the extra $50 because it is worth it to me to be "Shure" lol.

the shure website says futureshop isn't authorized but when i emailed shure they said they were. i wouldn't understand why a store would sell products unauthorized so i was in the clear.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #588 of 3,855

Quote:

I checked before I purchased the 840's - they are.  They're listed on the authorised dealer page rather than the online.

Go here > http://www.shure.com/americas/where-to-buy/index.htm search area Knoxville, TN, you'll find RMC.  BTW - they're service was top notch - great communication, very speedy dispatch.  I'd definitely recommend them.

@Pratt - I wouldn't have recommended them unless I was 100% sure :wink:

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #589 of 3,855

Quote:
the shure website says futureshop isn't authorized but when i emailed shure they said they were. i wouldn't understand why a store would sell products unauthorized so i was in the clear.

I would: to get money!
tongue.gif

Quote:
I checked before I purchased the 840's - they are.  They're listed on the authorised dealer page rather than the online.

Go here > http://www.shure.com/americas/where-to-buy/index.htm search area Knoxville, TN, you'll find RMC.  BTW - they're service was top notch - great communication, very speedy dispatch.  I'd definitely recommend them.

@Pratt - I wouldn't have recommended them unless I was 100% sure :wink:

Ah, thanks, now that I can trust!

And please no one take any of this personally, it's just that we all know how fly by night online sellers (even if they have B&M stores too) can be. I've known some who have gotten burned by those who claim to be "authorized" sellers and I'm determined to not be one of them. So I have to have more verification than just the word of posters on an online forum (who could, after all, be shills as we've all seen before) or the guarantee of a retailer who is trying to sell me an item. I would expect anyone else to require the same and to question my claim that a seller was authorized as well if they were not easily found to be. 
smile_phones.gif

I'll see what RMC says and then see if ES will price match. Should be interesting.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #590 of 3,855

Serge
I just got these, and ill talk about the sound later. Yes, there is a lot of plastic, as one poster pointed out. These remind me (construction) of the Goldring DR series. Three inches tick plastic, the difference being that the 940 does not vice-grip your head, but is still very plastic, yet to quibble is probably unfair since using metal would make them 5 pounds each and wood would be too expensive, and the sound is probably the result of the selected materials. Resonance and overhang are obviously well damped by this construction. Sometimes plastic is the best material you can use.

I'll prepare something with regards to the sound (which is excellent).

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #591 of 3,855
Quote:
I just got these, and ill talk about the sound later. Yes, there is a lot of plastic, as one poster pointed out. These remind me (construction) of the Goldring DR series. Three inches tick plastic, the difference being that the 940 does not vice-grip your head, but is still very plastic, yet to quibble is probably unfair since using metal would make them 5 pounds each and wood would be too expensive, and the sound is probably the result of the selected materials. Resonance and overhang are obviously well damped by this construction. Sometimes plastic is the best material you can use.

Well, they could have used magnesium alloy.  That would keep the weight down.  Might only cost 3x as much...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #593 of 3,855
Quote:
I would have liked a construction like the sony mdr-sa5000  (I  mean lot of metal parts)

The SA5000 is open, so it needs a lot less of that expensive magnesium alloy than a closed design like the 940 would.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #594 of 3,855
Jun 30, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #595 of 3,855
i've had SRH840 since the  next month they were released (i've sold them recently). those were built like a tank. time and usage didn't affect those extenders in any way. (for example - on tanky Beyers DT770 usage did affect them)
i guess SRH940 should be built this too, so there's not reason to worry.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #596 of 3,855
Anyway, for the look I found the srh840 ,  dissuasive. I didn't like the colored red/left markers, and the external wires near the drivers.
The srh940 is better. Maybe the gray shinny plastic  looks "cheap", and something coated with rubber , would have been perfect.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #597 of 3,855
Looking forward to your impressions Beagle!

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #598 of 3,855

Quote:
Anyway, for the look I found the srh840 ,  dissuasive. I didn't like the colored red/left markers, and the external wires near the drivers.
The srh940 is better. Maybe the gray shinny plastic  looks "cheap", and something coated with rubber , would have been perfect.

i prefer something to look cheap vs expensive.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #599 of 3,855
Remember guys that Shure's product development is where it counts - sound quality and overall build quality.  It may not be the prettiest or the most desirable looking headphone line, but there's no denying it's overall quality.  For myself, if I had to choose I'd much rather have substance over exaggerated style.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #600 of 3,855
PRICE ALERT:
July 4th Jubilee!
 ​
[size=small]Sparks are about to fly! The highlight of the summer, July 4th, is finally here, and so is ourHOTTEST SALE OF THE YEAR? Coincidence? I think not! The temperatures this weekend will be soaring, as will the fireworks in the sky, all while our prices are plummeting! Save 20% OFFsite wide for a limited time only! Use coupon code FIREWORKS at checkout. [size=smaller]*Offer excludes Grado. Cannot be combined with any other coupons or special quotes. Valid for orders placed between June 30 - July 8.  [/size][/size]

Earphone Solutions.com 

That's $60 off on the Shure SRH940 + FREE SHIPPING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back