Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jun 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #601 of 3,855
The promotion code ET5 still works at "earphone solution" ("head fi sponsor"  AND  "shure authorised " reseller)  , you can get the  srh940 at 255$ shipped.
I know there is  better offer elsewhere , but was more confident  with the website.
I  found weird that the price was not displayed at RMC (you have to contact them first, what's this BS ?) , and  I  don't believe in miracles either
for Electronics-Expo (126$ a new srh940 ? No way!).

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #602 of 3,855

Quote:

I  found weird that the price was not displayed at RMC (you have to contact them first, what's this BS ?)

It's common among a lot of on-line stores.  You get the same thing with J&R in NY as well.  Contact them first, and you'll often get a discount on the RRP.  If you don't ask, you don't get.

The best thing though - you end up dealing with authorised Shure dealers - so if any issues, Shure's service/warranty covers you - and from my experience, that cover is excellent.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #603 of 3,855
Oh crap, I missed the Fireworks coupon
angry_face.gif

@Brooko
Quote:
so if any issues, Shure's service/warranty covers you

I  won't benefit much from the warranty, a friend will bring me the headphone the next time he travels to my country (can't get them directly). At least, that's less expensive to get the headphones from Europe.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #604 of 3,855

Quote:
@Brooko

I  won't benefit much from the warranty, a friend will bring me the headphone the next time he travels to my country (can't get them directly). At least, that's less expensive to get the headphones from Europe.

I do the same - order and pick up from the US on my business trips.

But my last issue with Shure (SE420's - cracked cable - inside 2 year warranty), actually my only one ..... , I contacted the Shure agent in NZ, they asked for my receipt, I sent them a scan, they gave me an address.  I sent the 420's.  A week later I had a brand new set of SE425's.

The service is global - all you have to do is buy from an authorised dealer and keep the original receipt.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #606 of 3,855

Quote:
What do you mean by "receipt", it's from an online store. You get one after shipping ?

Request one.  Even if it's just a clean scan emailed to you.

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #607 of 3,855
Quote:
The bass is lightweight compared to most headphones on the market because its not overemphasized. With that being said, the impact is great and is improving with burn in. I cant emphasize enough just how great the bass texturing and extension is though. These are the furthest things from bass head headphones out there, but people who are bass connoisseurs, the ones who appreciate quality over quantity will appreciate what the 940's bring to the table. The highs are seriously reminiscent of electrostatic headphones, they manage to be ridiculously extended without a hint of harshness. That's not easy for a dynamic headphone, especially a closed one. The only dynamic headphones I've personally heard that are able to do this are the DT880's and T1's and neither of those are closed. Another thing I've noticed about these is that they're not picky at all about amplification or lack thereof. Unamped, straight out of my iPad, they sound like a properly amped pair of DT880's to me, and thats no easy task.

Okay, I really have to spring for one of these. Might sound odd, but when I listen to my 840's I really miss the treble of the Ultrasones.

RIP bank account you'll be missed, but not really
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #608 of 3,855
I got mine this afternoon and, well, I am impressed! These are at least good cans but I'm confident in saying easily very good. I have no problem with spending the $250 I did for them; I would also think that they are worth $300 as well...maybe more. So for $200+ these are certainly worth it imo.

As I said I don't believe in physical burn in (physics doesn't allow it, at least after a very brief time at most, so I can't), and as for psychological, well these sounded great the instant I put them on which was a very good thing as I have never liked any piece of gear that I have not at least, upon the first few seconds of hearing it, thought was at least good. No matter how much time I have given gear to grow on me, I've never had any 180 changes from my first impressions. So I was merely hoping to not be disappointed at first and not only was I not, I was impressed.

After listening to these for a few hours with much of my material (about a terabyte of FLAC files ranging through all sorts of music genres but mostly rock/pop) and getting used to the sound I'm not finding any true glaring flaw. There are some things that they don't do quite as well as I'd like if I was to have the perfect headphones, but, well, I don't think those exist at this or any price. I will say that these are not for bass heads or "warm" heads. The sound signature is crisp, even slightly dry, airy, revealing, analytical, and very detailed (but not distractingly so) yet not too clinical with a good overall non fatiguing balance as well as some nice PRaT, snap, and energy (that I was sorely missing in my 702's) with, imo, the perfect amount of bass: my kind of sound!

More later, but as of now I'm not only satisfied with these but also think that these are the best headphones I have or have ever heard (all listed in my sig except for the 600's which I borrowed from a friend for a long period). I have not done a direct comparison with my 702's yet (I can't stop listening to these!) but I'm already confident the Shure's do everything better. I'm glad I took the risk to do what could have just been a "side grade" or "flavor grade" instead of upgrade because otherwise I'd still be listening to the 702's (or much worse the 770's for when I need closed cans), which, while I was satisfied with them, always seemed to be lacking in certain areas ever since I got them about a year ago, even if I have enjoyed them very much and do think they are good cans. Such risks are well worth it when the pay off is like this!

PS: Comfort is very good except that the ear pads are a bit shallow. I don't have big ears or ears that stick out far, but they do sit on them a bit: the mesh over the driver is pretty much right up against them. It's not uncomfortable so much as a bit annoying. The 702's do beat them in this aspect.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #609 of 3,855
Just so you know, earphone solutions have a 20% off coupon: FIREWORKS
so the Shure's should be now: $240

:wink:

@Pratt

Thanks for your views. I think they echo most of what we have herard from these cans.
Though, I would really like to read about your comparisons to that AKG set! :wink:

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #610 of 3,855

Quote:
I  found weird that the price was not displayed at RMC (you have to contact them first, what's this BS ?)

As Brooko said, this is pretty common. They technically aren't allowed to display discounted prices, so they make you call. Or at least that's what's they say.

Thanks for the impressions!

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #611 of 3,855

Quote:
@Pratt

Thanks for your views. I think they echo most of what we have herard from these cans.
Though, I would really like to read about your comparisons to that AKG set! :wink:

Your welcome, I'll be adding more thoughts in the days/weeks to come.

I very, very briefly compared the 940's and 702's and the 702's actually sounded DARK, DISTANT, and too laid back compared to the 940's! They also were a lot quieter on the same volume (via my M-Stage) and yea, the mids sounded weird in comparison. I also think the 940's have more and better bass (tighter, more articulate) but need to listen more but that's my general impression. I've always though the 702's were somehow "off", but they still sounded better, more accurate, to me than any other can I've heard until now. Just goes to show you that even when you think you have found good/good enough sound, there can be better, much better, in the same price range!

I'm really liking these and I'm the type that is critical and tends to not get over excited about things like this. I hope that in a week or two I'm not eating these words, but I don't see it happening. These are great cans!
L3000.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #612 of 3,855
I work at the most reputable audio store in montreal, and I can demo a lot of headphones. Trust me, burn in is no joke. A brand new pair of srh940 barely sound better than the srh440's mainly due to no burn-in whatsoever. You definitely need to put in a modest 50 hours at least to be able to judge.

Quote:
Ordered! 
L3000.gif

We'll see if they can dethrone my 702's...I hope so!

I'll report back with impressions once I have given them a good listen (I don't believe in physical burn in but psychological burn in is a factor). I'm sure (Shure?) I'll enjoy them!

Thanks to the posters/reviewers itt!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #614 of 3,855
Lol, the srh940 is the top of the line for shure's headphones, of course they sound much better than the 440's, but with the 940's being on the headphone wall for only 3 days, they've probably been used for a total of 6 hours of customer use only. Burn-in is not mental, but there are a few who still believe so.. I get to demo hundreds of phones, and sometimes we open packages for customers to try brand new phones. Comparing out of the box and customer displayed phones of the same model definitely have different results. The drivers of the phones with burn in expand and become more malleable, whereas brand new drivers will be tight and sound less wide. The same phones DO sound slightly different

Quote:
@dleblanc343
So they could sound worse ?
biggrin.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #615 of 3,855

Quote:
Looking forward to your impressions Beagle!

I'll post something in the next few days. I don't want to do anything premature and have to backtrack on my words.

Quote:
 Burn-in is not mental, but there are a few who still believe so.. I get to demo hundreds of phones, and sometimes we open packages for customers to try brand new phones. Comparing out of the box and customer displayed phones of the same model definitely have different results. The drivers of the phones with burn in expand and become more malleable, whereas brand new drivers will be tight and sound less wide. The same phones DO sound slightly different

As long as the differences are consistent and everyone can hear them. Sometimes one has to take into consideration that the earpads (on demo'd 'phones) soften with use, thus making a different seal as well as bringing the drivers closer to the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back