Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Feb 26, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #3,721 of 3,855
Did I read somewhere that the 940 with 1540 pads creates an eargasim? It might have been the other ways around, but I'd be interested if someone tried it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #3,724 of 3,855
When I want to know exactly what is wrong with the quality of my music, I always reach for the SRH940.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #3,726 of 3,855
Hey guys,

I demoed the 940s the other day and must say that I was very impressed by them and loved the sound. My only gripe is the lack of mid bass (for me), making the drum kicks in certain songs not hit as hard as I would like. I'll be going to a larger demo room next week so can anyone recommend some similar sounding closed-back headphones around the same price for me to try out?

Thanks.

Why not try the sennheiser momentum. The full sized one. I have the 940s and you will never get bass with a lot of impact with it. Midrange on the momentum is good too. But with more bass. It's voiced differently though. The momentum is on the warm side. The 940s on the analytical side.

When I upgraded from the 940s I was looking for the bass impact with great midrange. The momentum was nice. Though I found it more of a side grade. Went for the he500 at the end. The momentum is a good choice for those looking for bass in a closed can within the same price range as the 940s. If you have more budget to spare go for the he500.

Also looked at the he400 but I found that it had too much bass for my liking. Other options to look at are the Beyer dt880.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #3,727 of 3,855
I actually feel the Momentum to be a kind of downgrade to be honest.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #3,728 of 3,855
Why not try the sennheiser momentum. The full sized one. I have the 940s and you will never get bass with a lot of impact with it. Midrange on the momentum is good too. But with more bass. It's voiced differently though. The momentum is on the warm side. The 940s on the analytical side.

When I upgraded from the 940s I was looking for the bass impact with great midrange. The momentum was nice. Though I found it more of a side grade. Went for the he500 at the end. The momentum is a good choice for those looking for bass in a closed can within the same price range as the 940s. If you have more budget to spare go for the he500.

Also looked at the he400 but I found that it had too much bass for my liking. Other options to look at are the Beyer dt880.

I've tried the original Momentum, not really a fan. I can't explain it but I find them artificial sounding and not so easy to listen to. I ended up opting for the Beyerdynamic DT-250 which I'm very happy with. I guess I prefer flat headphones.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #3,729 of 3,855

I've tried the original Momentum, not really a fan. I can't explain it but I find them artificial sounding and not so easy to listen to. I ended up opting for the Beyerdynamic DT-250 which I'm very happy with. I guess I prefer flat headphones.

Yeah, I didn't feel the Momentums a lot either, and fit was atrocious. I even preferred their "on-ears" version!! Anyway, a good option which I like almost as much as the SRH940s and similarly priced is the Yamaha MT220s! A bit bumped up-top but the same is done on the bass region so it sounds like a "fuller-sounding" 940 or probably a more refined SRH840. Mids are not as "tasty" but they are definitely NOT bad. In fact, listening to them at this moment. :wink:

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #3,730 of 3,855

These headphones are on the opposite sides of the spectrum...but if I had to pick, I'd take the Momentums any day of the week. Sorry, but the SRH940s are just so fatally flawed for me that I can only stomach no more than 5 minutes with them. YMMV of course, just my experiences with both headphones. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3,731 of 3,855
The SRH940s distort the sound and make it sound slightly airy/trebly/ethereal (but they can produce mids and bass too when called on to do so). I really like that effect and I'm glad there's a headphone out there for people like me who want that, but someone who doesn't would not like them.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #3,732 of 3,855

That's because it is. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #3,735 of 3,855
I think they sound fantastic. They may not be warm and lush like the momentums but their treble is really nice. But if you listen to hot mastered commercial music with them you may die due to the super loud treble and very modest bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back