Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #3,706 of 3,855
  How does it affect the sound? Curious to know.

the pads placed the driver in a very good position, even the space from the ears to the drivers was perfect, can't comment on the bass since i listen to J-pop but might go test later, for the Treble it became more airy and enjoyable, you could enjoy the extending even more, for the mids there was a subtle change but for the better, so sound/comfort wise the Alpha Pads were awesome as usual, i even used them with TH900.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #3,707 of 3,855
  the pads placed the driver in a very good position, even the space from the ears to the drivers was perfect, can't comment on the bass since i listen to J-pop but might go test later, for the Treble it became more airy and enjoyable, you could enjoy the extending even more, for the mids there was a subtle change but for the better, so sound/comfort wise the Alpha Pads were awesome as usual, i even used them with TH900.

Wow that sounds like quite an improvement. I would not have guessed that going from a valour earpad to a leather one.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,708 of 3,855
Whoa. This thread has been dead, but for those interested in how the new Shure Alcantara pads might effect the SRH940, here's my quick impression on them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/687229/shure-announcing-new-srh1540-in-tokyo-today-head-fi-tv/435#post_10186706

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #3,709 of 3,855
  Whoa. This thread has been dead, but for those interested in how the new Shure Alcantara pads might effect the SRH940, here's my quick impression on them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/687229/shure-announcing-new-srh1540-in-tokyo-today-head-fi-tv/435#post_10186706

No reason for this thread to be dead, either, since these are some of the very best closed cans you can buy in its price range. Where's the appreciation?!

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #3,710 of 3,855
  No reason for this thread to be dead, either, since these are some of the very best closed cans you can buy in its price range. Where's the appreciation?!

Lol. IK. I love my SRH940. But they are indeed fragile. Part of the reason people stay away from SRH940 is that the tuning, to untrained, new ears, will sound abnormal, especially when compared to mainstream bass heavy phones. The impression I got from my friends were "there's no bass! These are worse than the earpods. Even the earpods have better bass!" Well, I guess most people follow the quantity over quality rule, rather then quality over quantity.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #3,711 of 3,855
Man, I hate reading that they're fragile. Although I've had no problems with it, I'm fearing the day I get any breakage.

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #3,712 of 3,855
Man, I hate reading that they're fragile. Although I've had no problems with it, I'm fearing the day I get any breakage.

If your head is small and use it at the smaller settings your chances of breakage are lower.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #3,713 of 3,855
Hey guys,

I demoed the 940s the other day and must say that I was very impressed by them and loved the sound. My only gripe is the lack of mid bass (for me), making the drum kicks in certain songs not hit as hard as I would like. I'll be going to a larger demo room next week so can anyone recommend some similar sounding closed-back headphones around the same price for me to try out?

Thanks.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #3,714 of 3,855
  Hey guys,

I demoed the 940s the other day and must say that I was very impressed by them and loved the sound. My only gripe is the lack of mid bass (for me), making the drum kicks in certain songs not hit as hard as I would like. I'll be going to a larger demo room next week so can anyone recommend some similar sounding closed-back headphones around the same price for me to try out?

Thanks.

Probably the SRH840 would probably sound suitable for you, just slightly less refined treble but the same clean sound with more bass presence.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3,715 of 3,855
  Hey guys,

Thanks.

the people get the 940 for the Treble and Details, yet if you wan't bass and comfort then read about the BD DT series , made in Germany too. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,716 of 3,855
  the people get the 940 for the Treble and Details, yet if you wan't bass and comfort then read about the BD DT series , made in Germany too. 

But I love to be able to hear crisp treble and details too but I guess you can't have it all... I had the DT770 80 ohms for a couple weeks and while I enjoyed them, they left me wanting more.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,717 of 3,855
  Probably the SRH840 would probably sound suitable for you, just slightly less refined treble but the same clean sound with more bass presence.

I may have tried them along with the SRH940 but I don't remember (I'll check tomorrow). If I did I wasn't too impressed but if not I'll give them a listen, I'd hate to lose much detail but the price difference and bass boost might sway me. Do you know how the soundstage and instrument separation compare?

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3,718 of 3,855
Just subbing to this thread for one of my favorite headphones.

Has anyone else pointed out how, if you print the innerfidelity chart for the SRH940 and the Sennheiser HD800 and put one on top of the other you'll see that the 30hz, 300hz square wave charts match almost perfectly (with the SRH940 having more distortion), and that the frequency graphs are also very close (with the SRH940 having bass roll off). I seriously wonder if when making the SRH940, Shure said, "let's see how close we can get to the HD800 without spending more than $300."

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

I sometimes wonder if Sennheiser has an intellectual property infringement case against Shure!

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #3,719 of 3,855
  Just subbing to this thread for one of my favorite headphones.

Has anyone else pointed out how, if you print the innerfidelity chart for the SRH940 and the Sennheiser HD800 and put one on top of the other you'll see that the 30hz, 300hz square wave charts match almost perfectly (with the SRH940 having more distortion), and that the frequency graphs are also very close (with the SRH940 having bass roll off). I seriously wonder if when making the SRH940, Shure said, "let's see how close we can get to the HD800 without spending more than $300."

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

I sometimes wonder if Sennheiser has an intellectual property infringement case against Shure!

Lol. Although I think comparing the SRH940 and HD800 is a push, I still think they are one of the best headphones created under $500. I own both the SRH1540 and SRH940, and really love both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back