Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Feb 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,166 of 3,855

Quote:
The HM101 wouldn't help your phone at all, but there is nothing you can do to help your phone quality besides replacing it with another portable music player, try the clip+ from Sansa. That will get you settled for portable use and get the HM101 for laptop use. Do not buy an amp unless you specifically want the music louder, head-fiers overrate amps. You just need a good DAC to get the most out of your Shures, and the Clip+ is a good DAC and a HM-101 is a good DAC, even spending $1000 on a DAC will net you only small improvements over your Clip or HM101, spending more is overrated.

You know, I've actually been fairly pleased with the quality on my phone.  It has an Ericsson DAC and combined with PowerMP, it sounds at least as good as my old ipod touch (currently sitting in unused in my dresser drawer.  I'm not sure that I want to shell out some money for the joy of carrying around a 2nd device if the sound improvements are only going to be minimal.

As for my laptop, though, I'm consistently less pleased with the sound which is sad considering I listen to nothing but FLAC on my laptop and nothing but mp3s on my phone.  So, the external DAC appeals to me.  I'm currently looking at the HM101 and E7 so I definitely appreciate the suggestion.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,167 of 3,855

Quote:
The clip+ are overrated. Hey between my xonar stx and the clip+, there's no contest when trying my srh940.
I don't know if it's because of the DAC , or if they do not deliver enough power.
I prefer my cowon s9, to the sansa clip+ too.

What the....calling a $30 neutral source that can probably drive the K1000 overrated..makes no sense.
I would sure like someone out there to find a better source for a similar price that's as neutral and can drive the headphones the Clip is capable of. Maybe an RCA 1GB player? Maybe a Coby from a gumball machine? Most $30 portable players are garbage.
Anything that can drive the DJ100 this well without an amp sure gets my approval. Yes, there are better plays out there..for $200.

The Micro SD slot for unlimited FLAC storage is worth the price of admission itself...

BTW there is absolutely 100% no way a Clip can't drive an SRH-940. Will it sound good? Who knows, never tried it.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3,168 of 3,855

Quote:
BTW there is absolutely 100% no way a Clip can't drive an SRH-940. Will it sound good? Who knows, never tried it.

Well, I  didn't like the lack of detail I  could hear with the sansa clip+ (using the srh940).
I  thought there might be a treble roll off, that might give the illusion that sound is cleaner than it is actually. What's the point of putting treble detailed headphone on them ?
On the other hand, I  must admit, I  liked the bass , which is surprisingly good .

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3,169 of 3,855

Quote:
Right.  I have a lot of respect for those two and what they do...their knowledge certainly surpasses mine.

Agreed completely.

And you can add me to the list of those that don't like the SRH940s.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3,170 of 3,855

Quote:
Well, I  didn't like the lack of detail I  could hear with the sansa clip+ (using the srh940).
I  thought there might be a treble roll off, that might give the illusion that sound is cleaner than it is actually. What's the point of putting treble detailed headphone on them ?
On the other hand, I  must admit, I  liked the bass , which is surprisingly good .

I've always found portable players to have much less detail than any of my PC DACs. Not sure why exactly. Sometimes this is nice and I don't mind so much. I figure for such a tiny device, I need to give up something.

Coming from my Ipod Touch the Clip seems flat as a pancake. I think there's graphs that prove this, but I don't remember. I've done some tests and the Clip is often better than using another bigger device with a LOD and Amp. Not always.

It wouldn't surprise me that an S9 or a PC soundcard (with headphone amp right?) sounds better than the clip. I've heard the S9 can drive some very power hungry headphones and I wonder how it compares to the Clip in this area.

Another thing I love about my Clip is Rockbox
normal_smile%20.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #3,171 of 3,855

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me that an S9 or a PC soundcard (with headphone amp right?) sounds better than the clip. I've heard the S9 can drive some very power hungry headphones and I wonder how it compares to the Clip in this area.

Well what I  remind is that I  found  with  cowon I  got a more "treble detailled", and "treble happy"  sound. Curiously I  liked the bass less than  for the sansa clip.  But it's even more "treble happy" (what an euphemism)  and detailed with the xonar stx than with the cowon s9.
I  ranked , at least for clarity:
onboard soundcard < sansa clip <  cowon s9 << xonar stx.
But the ranking might be unfair, when you consider that the bass on the sansa clip is nice.
I  got the "darkest" sound of the sansa clip, which is what some people might want (but you loose in details ), even darker than the onboard soundcard.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #3,172 of 3,855

Quote:

Agreed completely.

Oh, really?  Thanks, I wasn't aware.  

You didn't make yourself clear in the 90435803948503948504395 other posts in this thread where you said exactly the same thing.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #3,173 of 3,855

Quote:
Oh, really?  Thanks, I wasn't aware.  

You didn't make yourself clear in the 90435803948503948504395 other posts in this thread where you said exactly the same thing.

tongue.gif

Then I guess that will be my last.
smile.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,174 of 3,855

Quote:

Agreed completely.

Did you like the SRH-840? I loved that headphone, but wasn't too impressed with the SRH-940, but I don't hate it. I just wish it was $150, because it sounded like a $150 headphone. Sorry people, just my opinion. I always said I'd buy one when I can score a pair for $200. Not going to happen I guess. If it wasn't for the KRKs I'd probably own them. Lately I've been tempted to sell my SR-325is and downgrade to the SR-225i or get an SRH-940. SR-225i was a bit more fun to listen too. Guess I just prefer it's mids to those of the SR-325is.

I guess the nice thing about the SRH-940 for me is that it's far more comfortable than the SRH-840. I was forced to sell my precious SRH-840 and downgrade to the M50 long ago.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #3,175 of 3,855

Quote:
Did you like the SRH-840? I loved that headphone, but wasn't too impressed with the SRH-940, but I don't hate it. I just wish it was $150, because it sounded like a $150 headphone. Sorry people, just my opinion. I always said I'd buy one when I can score a pair for $200. Not going to happen I guess. If it wasn't for the KRKs I'd probably own them. Lately I've been tempted to sell my SR-325is and downgrade to the SR-225i or get an SRH-940. SR-225i was a bit more fun to listen too. Guess I just prefer it's mids to those of the SR-325is.

I guess the nice thing about the SRH-940 for me is that it's far more comfortable than the SRH-840. I was forced to sell my precious SRH-840 and downgrade to the M50 long ago.

Actually I hold the SRH840 in high regard.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #3,176 of 3,855

Quote:
Did you like the SRH-840? I loved that headphone, but wasn't too impressed with the SRH-940, but I don't hate it. I just wish it was $150, because it sounded like a $150 headphone. Sorry people, just my opinion. I always said I'd buy one when I can score a pair for $200. Not going to happen I guess.

You can get them for $225 at headphones.com with their 10% discount.

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #3,178 of 3,855

Quote:
is the srh940 a good closed alternative for someone loving the akg k701?

Normally ... But you discover a new pejorative way to describe the srh940 with latest Jude review : they have an "edgy treble" (unlike the 700$ srh1840).
You have to admit when you compare k701 & srh940 frequency response , that the one from k701 look more regular, and there's no abrupt peak, jut like the one at 9k for srh940.
This probably can be attributed to closed design of the srh940 that introduce unwanted reverberation (even if the ears can't detect them). Nevertheless, if you mod the srh940 by increasing the depth of ear cup, I  found they were smoother & more clear (clear , in the sense of perceived details).

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #3,179 of 3,855

Quote:
is the srh940 a good closed alternative for someone loving the akg k701?

It depends who you ask.  The 940 tends to split people down the middle and I highly recommend you listen to them yourself first.  I was able to listen at Guitar Center if you have one of those nearby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back