Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jan 31, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #3,136 of 3,855
You need to be more specific. Dark Side Of The Moon has been remastered and re-released countless times. It is very likely that some of these re-masters introduce clipping.

Quote:
I  heard the mentioned track i.e Money by Pink Floyd, and I'm unable to hear any clipping. And frankly with such classic I  would have been surprised.
The loudness compression is moderate, and acceptable (not all dynamics are squashed).
And I  think modern software allow very strong compression and still avoid clipping
wink.gif
Perhaps you didn't properly ripped your album, try EAC  ( this software allow error correction, and to check accuracy of ripping).

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #3,138 of 3,855

Quote:
I  heard the mentioned track i.e Money by Pink Floyd, and I'm unable to hear any clipping. And frankly with such classic I  would have been surprised.
The loudness compression is moderate, and acceptable (not all dynamics are squashed).
And I  think modern software allow very strong compression and still avoid clipping
wink.gif
Perhaps you didn't properly ripped your album, try EAC  ( this software allow error correction, and to check accuracy of ripping).

No, there is no clipping in that track at all.  It's beautful.  White Shadows by Coldplay was the song that brought this whole issue to my attention.  Sounds fantastic for the most part aside from 1 or two instances of crackle that caught my ear.

I rip all of my music from the CD to flac using EAC.  Then, I use foobar/LAME to convert the flac files to V0 mp3 files for my portable use.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3,139 of 3,855
No, there is no clipping in that track at all.  It's beautful.  White Shadows by Coldplay was the song that brought this whole issue to my attention.  Sounds fantastic for the most part aside from 1 or two instances of crackle that caught my ear.

I rip all of my music from the CD to flac using EAC.  Then, I use foobar/LAME to convert the flac files to V0 mp3 files for my portable use.

Are they in the same exact places and patterns everytime you listen to the song? Sounds like underruns to me, but im not sure, there could be plenty of reason for this. You cant here it with your grado's?

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #3,140 of 3,855

Quote:
Are they in the same exact places and patterns everytime you listen to the song? Sounds like underruns to me, but im not sure, there could be plenty of reason for this. You cant here it with your grado's?

Just played around with some things, and sure enough it's there on the original CD, flac file, and mp3 played via my laptop and my Droid Razr.  I guess I could try running the cd through the amp, but it certainly seems like it's just part of the recording.

It's there on the Grado's as well, although it's a bit softer.  It's at the beginning of the song when the drums are really kicking.  Goes away once the vocals start up and the background music softens and then comes right back when the intro comes music comes back.  Very consistent.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #3,142 of 3,855

Quote:
I  don't see.  Perhaps if I  pay insane attention there's little click on the whole song, but I  think it's ... money.

Are you still talking about the Pink Floyd song?  If so, I've stated several times that I'm not talking about that song.  That particular track sounds wonderful.

If you're referring to the Coldplay song (which is the one I've been discussing), then my apologies :p

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3,143 of 3,855

Quote:
Are you still talking about the Pink Floyd song?  If so, I've stated several times that I'm not talking about that song.  That particular track sounds wonderful.

If you're referring to the Coldplay song (which is the one I've been discussing), then my apologies :p

Ok I  confirm there's clipping on the coldplay song, it's awfully compressed (some part just look like a block with no dynamics).

I  tried for the fun with the vst izotope declipper, this removes a part of the static noise, and it sounds less fatiguing.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #3,144 of 3,855

Quote:
Ok I  confirm there's clipping on the coldplay song, it's awfully compressed (some part just look like a block with no dynamics).

I  tried for the fun with the vst izotope declipper, this removes a part of the static noise, and it sounds less fatiguing.

Cool, thanks.  At least I know I'm not crazy.  
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #3,145 of 3,855
Even on my forgiving HD650, Coldplay songs sound absolutely horribly muddy and garbled. It's like they compressed their entire album to 10 kbps mp3 and then burned that to their CDs and vinyl or whatever. Seriously I've never heard a good Coldplay recording. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,146 of 3,855
Alright, so I finally gave up reading this entire thread around page 150.  I think  deserve a medal for getting that far!  :p

I'm curious about the entire amp/DAC thing seeing as how I've never messed with either.  The only thing I have for listening to my 940s is my Droid Razr for portable use and my laptop (crappy realtek card).  I'm honestly quite happy with the sound in both instances, but I'm curious as to what I might gain via other external options.

I've seen so many different options listed in this thread that it's starting to make my head spin.  I don't really want anything that's going to dramatically change the sound signature since I'm quite pleased with it as is...just something that might smooth the sound out a little?  If something like that even exists.

Anyway, just curious for any recommendations you guys might have.

Thanks again... 

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #3,147 of 3,855
Alright, so I finally gave up reading this entire thread around page 150.  I think  deserve a medal for getting that far!  :p

I'm curious about the entire amp/DAC thing seeing as how I've never messed with either.  The only thing I have for listening to my 940s is my Droid Razr for portable use and my laptop (crappy realtek card).  I'm honestly quite happy with the sound in both instances, but I'm curious as to what I might gain via other external options.

I've seen so many different options listed in this thread that it's starting to make my head spin.  I don't really want anything that's going to dramatically change the sound signature since I'm quite pleased with it as is...just something that might smooth the sound out a little?  If something like that even exists.

Anyway, just curious for any recommendations you guys might have.

Thanks again... 

I cringed, they really deserve a at least slightly better DAC, it shouldn't change signature, but just improve everything you like about you 940. $40 will do you a lot of good, http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMan-HM-101-Portable-Sound-Card/dp/B0066AHES4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328248808&sr=8-1 .

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #3,148 of 3,855
Well after Tyll, we have now the official confirmation from Jude that he didn't like the srh940 either.

From Jude:
Quote:
I am not a fan of the Shure SRH940. I've had it since it was pre-production, but it never grew on me. Why? I find the SRH940 to be too tipped-up in the treble, too light in the bass. I can take a little above-neutral treble, but, at that point, for me, it better be presented without any edge to it whatsoever. To my ears, this wasn't done with the SRH940--the treble, tipped up as it is, is also edgy to me. I much prefer the Shure SRH840, which I am a big fan of, and frequently recommend.

And comparing with the new srh1840, these open headphone are bright, and lacking bass . However, according to Jude:
Quote:
a little above-neutral treble is a flavor I can find favor with (when the mood's right), but it has to be edge-free; and, unlike its closed counterpart (SRH940), the SRH1840 does a good job of this
[...]
I very much enjoy the Shure SRH1840, but the SRH1440 leaves me cold. As much as I enjoy the SRH1840, though, it may end up being a tough sell at $700 for a lot of people.

More here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583950/shure-srh1840-and-srh1440-unveiled/915#post_8114359

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #3,149 of 3,855

Quote:
I cringed, they really deserve a at least slightly better DAC, it shouldn't change signature, but just improve everything you like about you 940. $40 will do you a lot of good, http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMan-HM-101-Portable-Sound-Card/dp/B0066AHES4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328248808&sr=8-1 .

Thanks.  This would work well for my laptop, I assume, but would it do anything for my phone on the go?  I was reading about the E7 last night and it looked like it needed a dedicated line out (other than the headphone jack) for it to truly bypass the players internal sound processing.

Also, I'm willing to spend a bit more than $40, so other recommendations are always appreciated. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #3,150 of 3,855

Quote:
Well after Tyll, we have now the official confirmation from Jude that he didn't like the srh940 either.

From Jude:

And comparing with the new srh1840, these open headphone are bright, and lacking bass . However, according to Jude:

More here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583950/shure-srh1840-and-srh1440-unveiled/915#post_8114359

Right.  I have a lot of respect for those two and what they do...their knowledge certainly surpasses mine.

Having said that, they can say these headphones sound like a dozen screaming banshees with fingernails scraping blackboards in the background. 

I really couldn't care less about their opinion on the headphone I'm currently listening to and loving.  Contentment folks...I know it's a dirty word around here, but after reading this ridiculously long thread, I think it's something people need to reacquaint themselves with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back