Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jan 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #3,121 of 3,855

The only thing I've really ever flopped between was my evaluation of whether the SRH940 or HD650 was more "truly" detailed early on before I gave the SRH940 more head time. The reason for this was that the HD650 is really quite laid back, and the SRH940 has super detailed highs -- a confusing contrast. I was flip flopping between trebly and bassy music, in which case different ones will win out here.

I've since learned a lot about frequency response and my ear is a bit more trained: I've been saying the same thing about the SRH940 again and again for months now: The SRH940 treble detail beats pretty much everything in the price range, but the bass and mids are just "okay". Also the SRH940 is less natural in tonality than HD650, but can sound more realistic due to the added detail. Again, I've said these for a while and I still have no reason to change my mind so far.

Anyway don't take what I'm saying about the HD800 to mean the SRH940 has just "okay" treble. The SRH940 has incredible treble. The HD800 treble is just twice again as good, and the mids and lows aren't even worth comparing.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #3,123 of 3,855

Quote:
You really think the SRH940 competes with the HD800? Seriously? You've compared them and you think this?

I'm not hearing it. Like I said I'll report back after a few weeks/months, but like I said, don't bet money on your theory.

Edit: I'm not joking, the difference is so massive, it's just... laughable. I don't understand how anyone here could ever claim the SRH940 competes? Are you deaf? There's no way they compare. I'm hearing things on the HD800 that simple are not there on the SRH940 at all, and that's just scratching the surface of how they're superior (there's also tonality etc.). This discussion is stupid.

Quote:
The only thing I've really ever flopped between was my evaluation of whether the SRH940 or HD650 was more "truly" detailed early on before I gave the SRH940 more head time. The reason for this was that the HD650 is really quite laid back, and the SRH940 has super detailed highs -- a confusing contrast. I was flip flopping between trebly and bassy music, in which case different ones will win out here.

I've since learned a lot about frequency response and my ear is a bit more trained: I've been saying the same thing about the SRH940 again and again for months now: The SRH940 treble detail beats pretty much everything in the price range, but the bass and mids are just "okay". Also the SRH940 is less natural in tonality than HD650, but can sound more realistic due to the added detail. Again, I've said these for a while and I still have no reason to change my mind so far.

Anyway don't take what I'm saying about the HD800 to mean the SRH940 has just "okay" treble. The SRH940 has incredible treble. The HD800 treble is just twice again as good, and the mids and lows aren't even worth comparing.

Quite opinionated, aren't we? And no, I'm not deaf, but I'm pretty sure you are. I'm also quite certain that either you cannot read or you cannot comprehend what you are reading. Where did I state that the 940 sounds like the 800? I was inferring that you might want to take some time to listen (lots of time) before you categorically state that one headphone walks all over another.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #3,124 of 3,855
You don't have to believe me, but I am categorically stating that the HD800 walks all over the SRH940 as far as I can tell with the 6+ hours of listening I've had. If you actually check my posts you'll see that I ALWAYS qualify it with the fact that I just got the HD800s and I will post a more accurate review later on. 

And no, I'm not deaf, but I'm pretty sure you are.

That's just, like, your opinion, man... :p

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #3,125 of 3,855

Quote:
You don't have to believe me, but I am categorically stating that the HD800 walks all over the SRH940 as far as I can tell with the 6+ hours of listening I've had. If you actually check my posts you'll see that I ALWAYS qualify it with the fact that I just got the HD800s and I will post a more accurate review later on

Great. I appreciate when someone holds off and listens for a couple of months, then reports what is really going on. It's usually much more subdued and real.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3,126 of 3,855
Sometimes the difference is just too palpable... and maybe that's what he's hearing...

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3,127 of 3,855
^ exactly.

Beagle when presented with someone commenting that Apple iBuds are inferior to their newly purchased LCD-3, would berate them mercilessly for being foolish to post their comments before listening to their LCD-3 for at least a few months. Because, you know, the iBuds just MIGHT be around the same level of sound quality once you get over the honeymoon phase with the LCD-3.

Beagle: In seriousness though, I'd like to know if you have compared the HD800 with the SRH940 personally, and if so what did you yourself think?

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #3,128 of 3,855
Man, people sure take this sound stuff seriously around here, eh?  :p

Just wanted to jump in and also ask a question since I'm newer to this than most of you.  My first pair of decent headphones were the SR80is, which I loved.  For my second pair, I purchased the 940s a couple of weeks ago, and am beyond happy with the purchase.  I'm kind of in love to be honest.  Rocking out to Money by Pink Floyd as I type this.

Being as detailed as they are, however, I've noticed a lot of things that I hadn't noticed before.  One of these being on a few select songs where I've heard a bit of static during certain parts...typically louder moments.  Am I correct in assuming that this is clipping that I'm hearing?  I listen to flac at home and V0 mp3s while I'm out.  Is clipping something that is introduced when you convert music to mp3s or is it present on the original recording as well?  Obviously, I can test this myself, but won't be home to do so for another 8 hours, so I thought I'd ask here in the meantime...

I've never considered using replaygain before, but I might be willing to on a few of these tracks just to get rid of the annoying static here and there.  It's rare, but I can get pretty obsessed with these things.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #3,129 of 3,855

Quote:
Is clipping something that is introduced when you convert music to mp3s or is it present on the original recording as well? 

I've heard that this might happen with some mp3 encoder, but I  didn't think this can happen with the LAME  encoder. If this come from encoding, decrease a bit the volume (by let's say 0.3 db) before converting.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #3,130 of 3,855
Encoders are pretty robust these days and shouldnt include clipping on their own. Most likely, the clipping exists in the original recording already. There is nothing you can really do about this, it just means that the recording has fallen victim to the loudness war. 

Quote:
Man, people sure take this sound stuff seriously around here, eh?  :p

Just wanted to jump in and also ask a question since I'm newer to this than most of you.  My first pair of decent headphones were the SR80is, which I loved.  For my second pair, I purchased the 940s a couple of weeks ago, and am beyond happy with the purchase.  I'm kind of in love to be honest.  Rocking out to Money by Pink Floyd as I type this.

Being as detailed as they are, however, I've noticed a lot of things that I hadn't noticed before.  One of these being on a few select songs where I've heard a bit of static during certain parts...typically louder moments.  Am I correct in assuming that this is clipping that I'm hearing?  I listen to flac at home and V0 mp3s while I'm out.  Is clipping something that is introduced when you convert music to mp3s or is it present on the original recording as well?  Obviously, I can test this myself, but won't be home to do so for another 8 hours, so I thought I'd ask here in the meantime...

I've never considered using replaygain before, but I might be willing to on a few of these tracks just to get rid of the annoying static here and there.  It's rare, but I can get pretty obsessed with these things.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #3,131 of 3,855

Quote:
Encoders are pretty robust these days and shouldnt include clipping on their own. Most likely, the clipping exists in the original recording already. There is nothing you can really do about this, it just means that the recording has fallen victim to the loudness war.

Or get an older recording. Or get headphone that are more forgiving.  Or try to fix the record with the vst izotope declipper.

I  usually try to avoid "best of"  compilations, as I  notice they add loudness compression.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #3,132 of 3,855

Quote:

Cool.  I'll listen to the original when I get home to see what I hear.  The lastest one I noticed it on was White Shadows by Coldplay.

Will replaygain take the clipping away?  It's not something I'd want to do to my entire music collection, but it might be handy on select tracks.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,133 of 3,855
Quote:

Actually mp3 encoders do introduce clipping but its audibility is already accounted for in its psychoacoustic algorithms so you won't actually hear any clipping that you wouldn't hear in the original.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #3,134 of 3,855
Sadly, no, replaygain won't take the clipping away. The clipping is already there in the music file, there is not much you can do about it. That information has irreversably been lost. Your best bet is to try and find a vinyl of this recording since vinyl is often (but not always) not mastered as hot as digital. 

Quote:
Cool.  I'll listen to the original when I get home to see what I hear.  The lastest one I noticed it on was White Shadows by Coldplay.

Will replaygain take the clipping away?  It's not something I'd want to do to my entire music collection, but it might be handy on select tracks.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #3,135 of 3,855

I  heard the mentioned track i.e Money by Pink Floyd, and I'm unable to hear any clipping. And frankly with such classic I  would have been surprised.
The loudness compression is moderate, and acceptable (not all dynamics are squashed).
And I  think modern software allow very strong compression and still avoid clipping
wink.gif
Perhaps you didn't properly ripped your album, try EAC  ( this software allow error correction, and to check accuracy of ripping).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back