Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Feb 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #3,182 of 3,855
i am done. good hint with the guitar dealer, as the one in my city offers the whole shure line up. so i gave both the 840s and the 940s a breif listen and for sure the 840 is a very good headphone for the price. with lots of details a well rounded soundstage for a closed can, but the 940 is much more airy and analytical just the way i like my k701. ok, the highs really are more edgy, i would call it "sharp". not as smooth as the akgs, but its no big deal. bass is dry and deep reaching. instrument separation is outstanding for a closed back.

only downside, that they cost as much as the akg but are not quite on the same level of both sound- and buildquality. if you throw the pricetags in the jar, the 840 is by far the better buy. well, sometimes i am not that rational and thats why the 940s are getting their burnin right now, right out of my amp. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #3,183 of 3,855

Quote:
i am done. good hint with the guitar dealer, as the one in my city offers the whole shure line up. so i gave both the 840s and the 940s a breif listen and for sure the 840 is a very good headphone for the price. with lots of details a well rounded soundstage for a closed can, but the 940 is much more airy and analytical just the way i like my k701. ok, the highs really are more edgy, i would call it "sharp". not as smooth as the akgs, but its no big deal. bass is dry and deep reaching. instrument separation is outstanding for a closed back.

only downside, that they cost as much as the akg but are not quite on the same level of both sound- and buildquality. if you throw the pricetags in the jar, the 840 is by far the better buy. well, sometimes i am not that rational and thats why the 940s are getting their burnin right now, right out of my amp. 

I'm glad it worked out for you!  Also glad that guitar center worked out.  I felt bad for not buying from them after they were so nice, but I just couldn't justify the price difference v. online.  I'll certainly buy products from them in the future, though, when reasonably priced.

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #3,186 of 3,855

Quote:
How come that i get more Bass conecting them straight to my iPhone 4 than in a Row with the e7? 

Output impedance?  I have no idea what the HPO impedance is on the iPhone 4...

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #3,187 of 3,855

Quote:
well it's because of the edgy treble that jude claimed that the 700$ srh1840 was enjoyable, and the srh940 not.

I wonder what the chain looked like.

Do I think the 940 has a treble tilt? Definitely
Do I think the 940 has edgy treble? Not really... grainy at worst.

Edit: If anything, I think the DT770 has edgier treble

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #3,188 of 3,855
Feb 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #3,189 of 3,855

Quote:
I think its only about 1 ohm or so.

I guess it would be pretty stupid of them to make it any more than that (unless of course it was dirt cheap)

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #3,190 of 3,855
Quote:
I guess it would be pretty stupid of them to make it any more than that (unless of course it was dirt cheap)

IIRC, the Touch is like 7 and the older ones are even higher.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3,192 of 3,855
Quote:
is the srh940 a good closed alternative for someone loving the akg k701?

Based on my brief listen to a K702 I'm inclined to say yes.  Similar sound signature, with the 702 having a larger soundstage and the SRH940 being more intimate.  I suppose it depends on what you're listening to.  If it's a vocal jazz quartet, easily the SRH940.  If it's something orchestral, the K702/K701 would have the edge.

---

The Gizmodo article is interesting in how it presents it almost as a budget alternative to the HD-650.  I almost couldn't think of two different sounding headphones.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,193 of 3,855

Quote:
The Gizmodo article is interesting in how it presents it almost as a budget alternative to the HD-650.  I almost couldn't think of two different sounding headphones.

And unless you are monster beat fan, they are great. 

At least I was interested by the charles mingus album they suggest. 
There's really too much music available online, first time I  hear him.
Beside Miles Davis & Jan Garbarek, I usually do not listen much jazz anyway.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #3,195 of 3,855

Quote:
Based on my brief listen to a K702 I'm inclined to say yes.  Similar sound signature, with the 702 having a larger soundstage and the SRH940 being more intimate.  I suppose it depends on what you're listening to.  If it's a vocal jazz quartet, easily the SRH940.  If it's something orchestral, the K702/K701 would have the edge.

---

Basically a person would go for the HD650 for general musicality, and the SRH-940 for sheer detail at the cost of said musicality etc.. So for a regular HiFi audiophile, the HD650 would be the more popular choice, unless you be a detail freak like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back