Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Nov 30, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #2,401 of 3,855
Well this is disappointing. I always thought the SRH940s seemed quite sturdy, but just now I was putting them on and the headband snapped at the weakest point (the thin extension part). :frowning2:. I had been carrying them in a backpack for the past few days so maybe that's related but I don't see how that could effect the headband at all.

Hopefully Shure will cover this under warranty.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2,402 of 3,855
Quote:
A picture to illustrate my last post , because it's counter-intuitive.

The picture illustrate the position of ear relative to the earcup.

In position B (headband adjusted to small size) : fatiguing , unbalanced frequency response, I'm looking for a wider soundstage.
In position A (headband adjusted to big  size): much natural, and "all rounder" headphones for different kind of music, satisfying soundstage. I  can finally relax when using them.

An analogy with dimmed light:  you don't like to receive light directly in the eyes. Same with the drivers of these headphones, they shouldn't be too much in front of the ear canal.

Actually, I do find it less fatiguing in position A. Surprise surprise. The soundstage does seem a bit larger and the highs are toned down. The bass also takes a toll, having less bass impact.

However, as I mentioned in my last post, this is extremely uncomfortable to wear. I have to set both ears on length 10 and the bottom of the ear pads touches my neck. Eh...

Versus

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2,403 of 3,855

Quote:
 The bass also takes a toll, having less bass impact.

Well, you have to maintain a minimal clamping force,  stretch the headband enough so that ears are near the top of earpad , but not more . I  perceived more bass, weird.
Quote:
. I have to set both ears on length 10 and the bottom of the ear pads touches my neck

You could try the other solution, i.e "rotating the earcups a bit so that the headband is just above the forehead" (or combining both solutions ).

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #2,404 of 3,855

Quote:
Well this is disappointing. I always thought the SRH940s seemed quite sturdy, but just now I was putting them on and the headband snapped at the weakest point (the thin extension part). :frowning2:. I had been carrying them in a backpack for the past few days so maybe that's related but I don't see how that could effect the headband at all.

You are the second person breaking these headphones on the thread.
Obviously they are not "build like a tank", and I  should be careful when stretching the headband.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #2,405 of 3,855

Quote:

Shure will cover it i can guarantee it.

Does this mean the srh840 is better built?

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2,406 of 3,855
Just got my M-Audio 192 sound card from a fellow Head-fi member(love the sale forums) and pairing it with my 940 leaves me in complete awe, it is getting to the point that is reminding me of the details that i heard from the SR-009 at a meet listening to Korn's Unplugged album in FLAC, not saying it is on par but not TOO far from it. I'm guessing it is such a good pair because they are both professional studio oriented gear. And this is being amped by a older(vintage?) Kenwood amp probably doesn't have amazing amount of quality, thinking about the O2 next for a completely detail oriented set-up.
Edit: Okay seriously im not saying that the 940 is in the same league as the 009 but im getting some of the details i heard on the 009 that i haven't been able to replicate till now.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2,407 of 3,855

Quote:
I  perceived more bass, weird.

Yeah, I'm listening to Yo-Yo Ma's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, BWV 147 song. His cello seems quieter with the 'on ear' earpad orientation. The improved sounstage does sound pleasant to the ear though.  
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #2,408 of 3,855

Quote:

Wa...hap-n'? How in the Hades did you do that? Laying on the back-pack at the beach? Shure warranty is reputedly good.....wouldn't use the back-pack story.....

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #2,409 of 3,855

Quote:
Shure will cover it i can guarantee it.

Does this mean the srh840 is better built?

Surprisingly that happened to my 840 too.  Putting it on without extending it first is apparently not a good idea. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #2,411 of 3,855
I have no reason to believe the back pack had anything to do with it since I keep my laptop and other delicate things in there, also since they're fully retracted in this case, and the break was on the extended plastic. In any case, I don't know. It's probably because when I wear them they're always fully extended, and even then they are too small for my head, with the headband bent stretched on my head. I guess I'll just have to be careful with them when they're fully extended. Sadly, these are simply too small for my head.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #2,412 of 3,855
I extend my 840 to 3 on each side. Are these smaller then the 840s?

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #2,413 of 3,855

@miceblue
Quote:

You  could try to do the complete opposite , if your head is too small (ear on bottom of earpad). It's about avoiding to have the earcanal too much in front of the drivers.
Yesterday, I  removed an earpad to look inside, and I  must say that the driver is very very close to the ear. The earpads are already relatively thin, so it's almost if there's no distance between the ear and the driver.

EDIT : I  wish shure made more generous earcups, with more depth , this might have been enough to solve the brightness at least.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,414 of 3,855
my 940 sounds delightfully clear..not brittle nor fatiguing.. on my setup, maybe its becos of the copper interconnects.
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #2,415 of 3,855
On latest review from amazon:
Quote:
Simply put, the Shure SRH-940 is one of the best sounding dynamic headphones under $900, easily. First to qualify this statement, keep in mind that every headphone has different strengths and weaknesses, and you should first make sure the SRH-940's sound signature is to your tastes, but if it is, there's not really anything better short of electrostatics or something like the $1500 Sennheiser HD 800

biggrin.gif
. Just to annoy people that think they are not worth their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back