Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #20,476 of 22,945
Can't find them.... advancedmp3players have a fiio cable with no model number, but it says it wont be back in stock until 2025 lol

I have them all and huge difference, wider sound stage with a real punch, i do use the Yellow foam tips and my audio source is the Astell&Kern SR15

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.26.48.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.26.48.png
    737.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.27.11.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.27.11.png
    527.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.28.07.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.28.07.png
    572.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.28.26.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.28.26.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 18, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #20,477 of 22,945
Misunderstanding with Shure, they won't give me the discounted price on a new set unless I return my old damaged ones, but I threw them away months ago without thinking I'd need them. Cables were destroyed and still attached so I had no use for them.

It would be £829 for the new 846s here from a proper dealer, which is more than I paid over 4 years ago. I know they've added the BT2 and bumped up the price but it seems crazy to pay more now than I did in 2015.

Anyway, not worth that amount of money so back to looking at Campfire perhaps..

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #20,478 of 22,945
Misunderstanding with Shure, they won't give me the discounted price on a new set unless I return my old damaged ones, but I threw them away months ago without thinking I'd need them. Cables were destroyed and still attached so I had no use for them.

It would be £829 for the new 846s here from a proper dealer, which is more than I paid over 4 years ago. I know they've added the BT2 and bumped up the price but it seems crazy to pay more now than I did in 2015.

Why did you think Shure would give you a discounted price with no proof of ownership? Even a receipt would not work because you could have sold them and then tried to get a discounted price, I bet somebody has tried this though. Hence the reason for asking for the old ones back.

Probably still too much for you but the clear can be purchased for £748 at the moment dispatched and sold from Amazon. They will be genuine I got mine from Amazon for £676 in April 2017.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #20,479 of 22,945
Initially because I no longer trust Shure cables. And so that I have an extra for emergencies as I travel a lot. If only for that reason, £90 seems a bit much.

The Linum G2 BaX cable I had (which is about about £100), in my mind anyway, made my 846s sound miles better than they ever had before, but I don't know if that was a placebo. I had some downtime between the Shure cable and finally getting the BaX, so I was never able to do a direct comparison.

So I guess for £90 I would expect similar improvements. I'd go for the BaX again if the build quality was better, the plastic covering of the cable is so thin, it started to split inside 2 months and I had lots of exposed cable everywhere.

FWIW I had similar issues with a couple of bax cables on ciems that were all the rage at the time. One had the cable split that you mention and the other had jack issues. Nice and light, but tangled like mad.

I was curious and had a look at the Linum webside for the mentioned Linum G2 BaX cable.
Up to now i did not know this or the brand.

Linum declared this cable suitable for > 10 Ohms earphones, the SE846 has 9 Ohm.
I know this is not a hard rule, but when you follow Linums product philosophy, they
recommend the Linum G2 SuperBaX cable to be paired with the SE846:

"For <10 ohms and multi-driver earphones, we recommend the SuperBaX"

The prices aren't cheap (they are Danish, ok), starting with
~100 EUR for the mentioned unbalanced Linum G2 BaX cable,
~250 EUR for the unbalanced SuperBaX G2 and up to
~311 EUR for the balanced SuperBaX G2 cable.

Further more, there is currently no 4.4mm TRRRS available, only a 2.5mm TRRS.

I have to admit, at this price level i expect also a good durability, when i read your experiences that it is very sensitive, i stay with the Fiio.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #20,480 of 22,945

£800 or so would get you a nice set of customs if that appeals?

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #20,481 of 22,945

My recommendation for the FiiO FH7 stands. To my ears it's as good (although different) as the Atlas and better than the Andromeda. I own all three (+ the SE846) and have extensively compared them. Of course Campfire Audio is a good address as well, especially considering the Atlas, but you can get away cheaper with the FH7 – and an even larger dynamic bass driver. I haven't heard the Solaris yet, but given that I prefer the Atlas' treble to the Andromeda's and the Solaris combines the Atlas' bass driver with the Andromeda's balanced armatures, I'm not too eager to audition it.

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #20,482 of 22,945
Why did you think Shure would give you a discounted price with no proof of ownership? Even a receipt would not work because you could have sold them and then tried to get a discounted price, I bet somebody has tried this though. Hence the reason for asking for the old ones back..

We'd been exchanging mails for a couple of months and it had never come up, and it hadn't crossed me mind.

Probably still too much for you but the clear can be purchased for £748 at the moment dispatched and sold from Amazon. They will be genuine I got mine from Amazon for £676 in April 2017.

Thanks but yeah, can't justify to myself paying more for the same earphones now than I did in 2015, their pricing seems crazy.

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #20,483 of 22,945
I bought a pair of SE846 a couple weeks ago and I wonder what balanced cable would you guys recommend? I have been hearing good thing about the Flio balanced cable, and I just wonder how does it perform compared to the Kimber cable?

Besides that, what amp or DAC would you guys recommend for this IEM? Would Sony WM1A a good choice?

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #20,484 of 22,945
We'd been exchanging mails for a couple of months and it had never come up, and it hadn't crossed me mind.

Thanks but yeah, can't justify to myself paying more for the same earphones now than I did in 2015, their pricing seems crazy.

You could argue the pricing of all high-end audio is crazy. Just get yourself a BLON BL-3 and be happy.

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #20,486 of 22,945
After all this, I'll probably end up sticking with the Comets. Using the cobalt with them and they dont sound bad.

I forgot you said you had the Comet. I would like to try the Comet too and maybe the Atlas one day. I would say that is a good setup you have there, more than good enough for 99% of IEM users. Its just us odd 1% that think we need more. :)

Nov 19, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #20,487 of 22,945
My recommendation for the FiiO FH7 stands. To my ears it's as good (although different) as the Atlas and better than the Andromeda. I own all three (+ the SE846) and have extensively compared them. Of course Campfire Audio is a good address as well, especially considering the Atlas, but you can get away cheaper with the FH7 – and an even larger dynamic bass driver. I haven't heard the Solaris yet, but given that I prefer the Atlas' treble to the Andromeda's and the Solaris combines the Atlas' bass driver with the Andromeda's balanced armatures, I'm not too eager to audition it.
I got the SE846, Andromeda's OR Solaris ????

Nov 19, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #20,488 of 22,945
I bought a pair of SE846 a couple weeks ago and I wonder what balanced cable would you guys recommend? I have been hearing good thing about the Flio balanced cable, and I just wonder how does it perform compared to the Kimber cable?

Besides that, what amp or DAC would you guys recommend for this IEM? Would Sony WM1A a good choice?
For a DAC that won't brake the bank try the SR15 from Astell & Kern
for cables check picture (bottom). i will be adding next year the Campfire Andromeda for IEM and the New Astell&Kern KANN CUBE for a DAC

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.28.07.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.28.07.png
    572.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #20,489 of 22,945
I got the SE846, Andromeda's OR Solaris ????
Do you want my recommendation? If you like the Andromeda for its treble and midrange, I guess the Solaris would improve on the bass. That said, the Andromeda's bass is quite good, just drops off below ~100 Hz. It's easy to equalize, but with my portable source (FiiO X3 II) the lowest frequency band is 31 Hz, so there's still some drop-off below ~40 Hz left. If you have a DAP with a 20 Hz EQ band, you can possibly make the Andromeda sound as good as the Solaris, which some consider uncomfortable due to its size. And your SE846 also has some hidden potential (see my previous post).

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #20,490 of 22,945
Do you want my recommendation? If you like the Andromeda for its treble and midrange, I guess the Solaris would improve on the bass. That said, the Andromeda's bass is quite good, just drops off below ~100 Hz. It's easy to equalize, but with my portable source (FiiO X3 II) the lowest frequency band is 31 Hz, so there's still some drop-off below ~40 Hz left. If you have a DAP with a 20 Hz EQ band, you can possibly make the Andromeda sound as good as the Solaris, which some consider uncomfortable due to its size. And your SE846 also has some hidden potential (see my previous post).
Thanks for the input, will go with the andromeda’s, and by the way NO need for EQ with my Astell & Kern, you should get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back