Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #20,506 of 22,945
Pelican 1010, 1020, 1040 are all good options. I think you can get foam inserts for these.

Thanks for your suggestions.
From the bigger cases i know that Peli has a very good and durable quality. And there are also foam inserts available. This Peli micro series with transparent and shiny surfaces look at least more sensitive.

From the dimensions, the Peli 1040 is what i'm looking for.
As an alternative, the OtterBox 3250 has aroused my attention, it looks very durable. However i found no suitable foam inserts. Maybe an universal foam insert individually cutted will do the job.

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #20,509 of 22,945
Just ordered a pair of these from amazon uk after my AKG N5005 have now failed me twice and for the last time (first set left earbud stopped working and was replaced under warranty. 9 months later it's now the right bud that has stopped working). The MMCX cable also became nearly impossible to remove without tearing the whole lot to pieces so with that as well I can tell you I am well and truly done with the N5005.

At the time i bought the AKG N5005 it was as they were just released and it was actually a toss up between them and the Shure 846's! I went with the N5005 as they were newer. Certainly for quite a while I was pleased with the decision.

Anyhow, for the 846's I have just ordered, I went with the standard clear option as I believe it represents better value for me. Currently on offer at circa £699. I use the BRT3 for Bluetooth connectivity to my Samsung note 10+ .Will prob upgrade to BRT5 when available.

Here's to hoping the 846's prove to be more robust.

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #20,510 of 22,945
Just ordered a pair of these from amazon uk after my AKG N5005 have now failed me twice and for the last time (first set left earbud stopped working and was replaced under warranty. 9 months later it's now the right bud that has stopped working). The MMCX cable also became nearly impossible to remove without tearing the whole lot to pieces so with that as well I can tell you I am well and truly done with the N5005.

At the time i bought the AKG N5005 it was as they were just released and it was actually a toss up between them and the Shure 846's! I went with the N5005 as they were newer. Certainly for quite a while I was pleased with the decision.

Anyhow, for the 846's I have just ordered, I went with the standard clear option as I believe it represents better value for me. Currently on offer at circa £699. I use the BRT3 for Bluetooth connectivity to my Samsung note 10+ .Will prob upgrade to BRT5 when available.

I was curious about the n5005 when released. Please give us a brief comparison when your se846 arrives =)

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #20,511 of 22,945
As I've mentioned, I've had terrible experiences with 846s in the past - exactly the same as you describe here " The MMCX cable also became nearly impossible to remove without tearing the whole lot to pieces" - happened to me on my original 846s and the replacement pair.

But I've gambled and bought new 846s again this week. Do I expect them to last longer this time? Absolutely not. Do I expect to return under warranty? Absolutely. I'm hoping if I get lucky I will get close to 2 years out of them and then replace under warranty towards the end of that second year, and who knows maybe the replacements will last a couple more years too. Ideally the new pair I just got will last for 5 years with no faults but yeah LOL.

I weighed it up as a £699 commitment for 4 years of using the product, and it seemed worth it in the end, especially as you get a brand new pair half way through.

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #20,512 of 22,945
As I've mentioned, I've had terrible experiences with 846s in the past - exactly the same as you describe here " The MMCX cable also became nearly impossible to remove without tearing the whole lot to pieces" - happened to me on my original 846s and the replacement pair.

But I've gambled and bought new 846s again this week. Do I expect them to last longer this time? Absolutely not. Do I expect to return under warranty? Absolutely. I'm hoping if I get lucky I will get close to 2 years out of them and then replace under warranty towards the end of that second year, and who knows maybe the replacements will last a couple more years too. Ideally the new pair I just got will last for 5 years with no faults but yeah LOL.

I weighed it up as a £699 commitment for 4 years of using the product, and it seemed worth it in the end, especially as you get a brand new pair half way through.

I'm choosing to laugh rather than cry at this post. Sounds like Build quality is much of a muchness then across the board. Maybe my expectations need adjusting but why should they when dropping up to £1k!

At the very least I have something new to try out.

I was actually very tempted by Fiio FH7 this time around. But as I originally passed on the 846's for something new I decided to go for it.

Nov 27, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #20,514 of 22,945
The MMCX connectors ARE tight fits. But it is easy to separate them if you take the two halves of the connector in each hand and insert both fingernails of your left and right-hand index finger and thumb simultaneously into the space between the halves with nails of the thumb and forefinger pointing toward each other. (That's four fingernails total.) Then as you press the tips of the nails in together toward each other, the two halves pop apart with no pulling or prying whatsoever. Pulling them apart by any other means is very hard to do, and is not advised.

I hope that you were simply using the wrong technique to get them apart and that trying this method I describe brings you easy success.

Terry

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #20,515 of 22,945
I don't understand, look after stuff and it will last a long time. Mine are either in my ears or in a case, how can they break? Or maybe I'm somewhat unique and special, no idea. :)

Honestly, don't know why mine broke. Apart from the tips, my N5005 showed very little sign of wear and tear and I used them daily. Like my watches, I don't baby my audio equipment but I am careful. Maybe in this instance it's more that I have been unlucky rather than you are lucky!

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #20,516 of 22,945
The MMCX connectors ARE tight fits. But it is easy to separate them if you take the two halves of the connector in each hand and insert both fingernails of your left and right-hand index finger and thumb simultaneously into the space between the halves with nails of the thumb and forefinger pointing toward each other. (That's four fingernails total.) Then as you press the tips of the nails in together toward each other, the two halves pop apart with no pulling or prying whatsoever. Pulling them apart by any other means is very hard to do, and is not advised.

I hope that you were simply using the wrong technique to get them apart and that trying this method I describe brings you easy success.

Terry

Thanks for advice, have saved for future reference :thumbsup:

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #20,518 of 22,945
Yes, I have it, it's probably my best IEM cable when it comes to sound quality, although not necessarily the best match with all of my IEMs. Certainly much better than the SE846 stock cable, just a bit too stiff to be ultimately comfortable on the go. I have cut off the silicone hooks, like it better without (still for over-ear use).

The best compromize between comfort and sound for the SE846 is the ALO Reference 8 in my book. But you could also consider the FiiO LC-3.5D, which offers a bit more sparkle on top and is cheaper.

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #20,519 of 22,945
I would agree the cable is high quality. I bought one for my Aurisonics ASG2.5 but, while it was clearly very well built, it was simply too stiff for regular, comfortable use and I ended up selling it. The Reference 8 and Whiplash cables are two of my favorites for combing quality and comfort.

Ryan

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #20,520 of 22,945

+1 on the comparison. N5005, 846s , and UMPRO50 are all in the same ballpark.

Anyone have experience on the 3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back