Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #20,536 of 22,945
Hi, this question may have been answered before somewhere in this thread but I can’t seem to find an answer.

I have recently purchased a set of the SE846 which is due to arrive shortly and I’m very excited. I have been doing a lot of research into them and know that, for use with an iPhone, an external DAC is a must.

I currently have the dragonfly cobalt which has been amazing with the headphones I currently have (1more Quad Driver). But now I am nervous as AudioQuest state an impedance of 10ohm as a minimum and the se846 are 9ohm, will the cobalt be insufficient for them?

I know the Chord Mojo is a viable alternative but I only recently purchased the cobalt and it is hands down way more portable.

What are people’s general thoughts? Is the cobalt enough to get the most out of the se846 for use with an iPhone? Or will I need something with a lower impedance, like the Chord Mojo?

For reference, I use Tidal HiFi (lossless) as my audio source.

Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #20,537 of 22,945
Hi, this question may have been answered before somewhere in this thread but I can’t seem to find an answer.

I have recently purchased a set of the SE846 which is due to arrive shortly and I’m very excited. I have been doing a lot of research into them and know that, for use with an iPhone, an external DAC is a must.

I currently have the dragonfly cobalt which has been amazing with the headphones I currently have (1more Quad Driver). But now I am nervous as AudioQuest state an impedance of 10ohm as a minimum and the se846 are 9ohm, will the cobalt be insufficient for them?

I know the Chord Mojo is a viable alternative but I only recently purchased the cobalt and it is hands down way more portable.

What are people’s general thoughts? Is the cobalt enough to get the most out of the se846 for use with an iPhone? Or will I need something with a lower impedance, like the Chord Mojo?

Thanks
The Cobalt will be just fine for the 846, or invest in a HiRes audio player like the Astell & Kern Kann Cube or the SR 15 Norma

Dec 29, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #20,538 of 22,945

Thanks

Mojo has an output impedance of less than 1 ohm so its probably better than any other dap for sensitive iems. However I detect some hissing with my 846 with my mojo but none from my phone.

Dec 29, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #20,539 of 22,945

I agree with TigerAlex, the Se846 should sound great with the DFC. The synergy of components will make the most difference to the overall sound balance etc. You can't be sure if the DFC and SE846 is perfect for you until you hear it.

In any case enjoy your new IEM's. :)

Dec 29, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #20,540 of 22,945
Mojo has an output impedance of less than 1 ohm so its probably better than any other dap for sensitive iems. However I detect some hissing with my 846 with my mojo but none from my phone.

The Mojo has an issue with amplifying the noise conducted into its own headphone socket, the headphone wire acts like an aerial in this respect, this noise then be heard mixed with the music.

I've sold my Mojo now but I don't recall ever hearing any hiss from the Mojo while using my SE846 when the phone and Mojo were separated by a few feet.

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #20,541 of 22,945
I agree with TigerAlex, the Se846 should sound great with the DFC. The synergy of components will make the most difference to the overall sound balance etc. You can't be sure if the DFC and SE846 is perfect for you until you hear it.

In any case enjoy your new IEM's. :)
Awesome! I was a bit worried id need to spend another big amount! Can’t wait to hear them.

thanks everyone for your responses

Dec 29, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #20,542 of 22,945
The Mojo has an issue with amplifying the noise conducted into its own headphone socket, the headphone wire acts like an aerial in this respect, this noise then be heard mixed with the music.

I've sold my Mojo now but I don't recall ever hearing any hiss from the Mojo while using my SE846 when the phone and Mojo were separated by a few feet.

The phone has nothing to do with it, shure846 starts hissing if u plug it in to the mojo by itself when u turn it on.

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #20,543 of 22,945
My iPhone 8 Plus + CCK + Mojo + Shure 846 combo doesn’t hiss at all. I bought the Mojo and the 846’s off Amazon, both NIB, this month. I like it so much I just ordered a Poly. Nonetheless, my experience doesn’t mean that others don’t have bad units or just simply don’t care for the Mojo. Just thought I’d chime in on my newfound experience with the hopes that it isn’t rare or isolated. So far, I like the Mojo. I just don’t care for it’s exorbitant pricing. Even the accessories are $100.00 and up. However it’s all relative to this chase/hobby. I mean, iPhone’s & 846’s ain’t exactly cheap :) Note: The 846’s are only 9 ohms, so they sound unreal straight out of an iPhone. Truly don’t need a mobile amp-DAC to experience their genius. It’s more of a want, if anything.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #20,544 of 22,945
My iPhone 8 Plus + CCK + Mojo + Shure 846 combo doesn’t hiss at all. I bought the Mojo and the 846’s off Amazon, both NIB, this month. I like it so much I just ordered a Poly. Nonetheless, my experience doesn’t mean that others don’t have bad units or just simply don’t care for the Mojo. Just thought I’d chime in on my newfound experience with the hopes that it isn’t rare or isolated. So far, I like the Mojo. I just don’t care for it’s exorbitant pricing. Even the accessories are $100.00 and up. However it’s all relative to this chase/hobby. I mean, iPhone’s & 846’s ain’t exactly cheap :) Note: The 846’s are only 9 ohms, so they sound unreal straight out of an iPhone. Truly don’t need a mobile amp-DAC to experience their genius. It’s more of a want, if anything.

I think some people are more sensitive to the hiss than others, in that respect I suppose I'm lucky. I do hear hiss if its in the music and from some sources but never from my Mojo while I owned it.

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #20,545 of 22,945
I've had great success with Galaxy S7 Edge + ES100 (Bluetooth) + balanced cable + SE846. I get a good amount of bass, everything sounds nicely sharp, nothing sounds thin, and no signs of output impedance issues. Depending what I listen to, I sometimes want to turn up the bass, which I can do easily with the ES100 control app's graphic equalizer. The equalizer affects everything: calls, phone bluetooth, PC bluetooth, USB, even when the phone isn't connected to the device, and even if I've turned it off and on again since. I just have to connect the phone to change it because there's no PC app to control it, only Android and iOS.

Switching to a balanced cable is a very minor improvement if any change at all. I hear zero noise from the ES100 either way. Initially I was using the stock cable from my old SE425s, which I had shortened for easier use with Clip+ and later ES100. First I switched to the Brainwavz 2.5mm silver-plated-copper balanced cable. It sounded somewhere between 100% identical to ever so slightly clearer. Later I got the Fiio LC-2.5D pure monocrystaline silver litz 2.5mm balanced cable. This honestly does sound better, but probably not really worth the cost. It adds some sparkle to the highs, and gives guitars a certain character I hadn't heard in recordings before.

Jan 1, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #20,546 of 22,945
After Andromeda, Xelento, CL2, I have finally joined the ancient club of Shure SE846.
These will become my daily drivers due to the great balanced mix of: sound quality (I'd say Xelento sounds a tiny bit better), Isolation (bar none for me), comfort (one of the few that really fits well and remains comfortable for hours) and use cases (office, commute, late night bed sessions).
Just might consider getting a balanced cable to pair with my SP1000M.

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #20,547 of 22,945
I note that this website is selling new blue SE846s at a price of £469, several hundred pounds (at least) lower than other online retailers. I have myself bought the CL version of these for a touch under that price from this very forum so was surprised to see how low that price is. Is the blue in someway a cheaper/inferior model, or are all SE846's the same..?

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #20,548 of 22,945
I note that this website is selling new blue SE846s at a price of £469, several hundred pounds (at least) lower than other online retailers. I have myself bought the CL version of these for a touch under that price from this very forum so was surprised to see how low that price is. Is the blue in someway a cheaper/inferior model, or are all SE846's the same..?

They are selling all colour options at this price point on this website. I too am sceptical as this is close to half the price advertised elsewhere. I’m curious too to know if these are indeed the real deal or a website selling fakes or used versions.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #20,550 of 22,945

Users who are viewing this thread

Back