Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #20,551 of 22,945
Jan 3, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #20,553 of 22,945
If it’s too good to be true it usually is.
I compared them to a pair from amazon and they were identical as far as I could tell. They seem to be grey imports, so you only have the warranty/support from retailer rather than shure.
When I messaged efin about a refund, they says that’s fine.
although that’s my story, I can’t say it will be true in all cases.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #20,554 of 22,945
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #20,558 of 22,945
I received my Poly yesterday. It hisses. So I’m assuming that’s what everyone is talking about. It’s weird b/c as stated earlier, my Mojo doesn’t do that. Man. I had such high hopes for the Poly.

If you can return it, I do think Chord are going to release a Mojo 2 this year, it will probably have similar specs to the first Mojo but will hopefully have better resistance to external noise influences and will have Bluetooth.

Of course this is a guess, but with the recent Mojo price reduction, the signs are there.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #20,559 of 22,945
If you can return it, I do think Chord are going to release a Mojo 2 this year, it will probably have similar specs to the first Mojo but will hopefully have better resistance to external noise influences and will have Bluetooth.

Of course this is a guess, but with the recent Mojo price reduction, the signs are there.

Thanks for the feedback, hope & encouragement. I have until February on the Mojo, but it works. Doesn’t hiss. Sounds phenomenal. I just don’t fancy stacking, when I’m out & about, so why I opted for a Poly. Nonetheless, think I’ve got 14 days on it, so will contact the dealer & go from there.

Ordered a Fiio BTR5.

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #20,560 of 22,945
I have picked up a pair of Shure SE846's and have had a short listen. Initial feeling is that the fit is great, the sound is crisp however I could do with more bass presence. I am using the provided silicone tips. Do the filters make much difference to the low end, and is it worth looking at alternate tips like Spinfit?

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #20,561 of 22,945
I have picked up a pair of Shure SE846's and have had a short listen. Initial feeling is that the fit is great, the sound is crisp however I could do with more bass presence. I am using the provided silicone tips. Do the filters make much difference to the low end, and is it worth looking at alternate tips like Spinfit?
I have the Westone star fit tips - they are super comfortable and great for bass too. I am not a huge fan of foam tips, especially on a headphone that’s already tricky to put on, but since using the star fit tips, found them much easier to wear and they provide a much nicer seal.

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #20,562 of 22,945

I've never heard of anybody complaining about a lack of bass with the se846. A few things to check:

1. Output impedance of your source device.
2. Proper fit.
3. Is it a genuine product
4. Is it a faulty product

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #20,563 of 22,945
I've never heard of anybody complaining about a lack of bass with the se846. A few things to check:

1. Output impedance of your source device. - am using a LG V40 smartphone, volume is plenty loud enough, but bass is flat
2. Proper fit. - fit overall I am happy with, I have tried silicone and westone star tips
3. Is it a genuine product - I certainly hope so, purchased off a fellow head-fi'er in perfect condition and only a few months old
4. Is it a faulty product - sound is balanced across both earphones

For reference, I have gone from a CFA Atlas which had plenty of bass but also plenty of driver flex causing me to sell. Then I have the Westone W60 which I also thought lacked bass impact, but arguably even those have more low end than the SE846s. Hopefully its a case of trying of alternate tips and using a different filter, and it is early days with these. So far I have to say I am disappointed and was expecting a earphone that was much more 'exciting' than this.

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #20,564 of 22,945
For reference, I have gone from a CFA Atlas which had plenty of bass but also plenty of driver flex causing me to sell. Then I have the Westone W60 which I also thought lacked bass impact, but arguably even those have more low end than the SE846s. Hopefully its a case of trying of alternate tips and using a different filter, and it is early days with these. So far I have to say I am disappointed and was expecting a earphone that was much more 'exciting' than this.

Black filter and spinfit tips should provide some bass but it's a BA, not a DD.
I was gonna suggest Xelento but that will also screw you over with the driver flex.

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #20,565 of 22,945
Coming from an Atlas, I suspect any BA headphone is going to sound a bit lean in the low end. Atlas has a pretty substantial v-shape to its sound signature. Curious about your driver flex - was that just when you inserted the Atlas, or all the time?

The Xelento thread now has two people (@Spie1904 being one of them) that have complained about incessant driver flex. That's not normal though. IMHO, those units ought to be returned to the seller. I've owned Xelentos for a couple of years and have never experienced any driver flex at all. I have a pair of Monster Turbine Copper Pros (sadly discontinued now) that do give driver flex on insertion, but that doesn't bother me at all; it's not there when I'm listening, even if I'm moving around. However, even just flex-on-insertion seems to grate on some people's nerves like nails scraping down a chalkboard.

Atlas and Xelento are both vented, so they won't isolate like the SE846. You'll be able to make your SE846 a bit more v-shaped with filter mods (like the "trishd" mod) and SpinFit tips but none of that is going to give you the level of bass you got from your Atlas. Atlas will still give you more sub-bass (good), but also a lot more mid-bass (IMHO, not so good). Did you talk to Ken about your driver flex problem? I've heard the Atlas and, although its sound signature and form factor weren't my cup of tea, I didn't experience any driver flex from it. You might also simply have had a defective pair. If you liked its sound signature, why not try a replacement pair? One defective unit doesn't mean that's how they're all going to behave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back