Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #11,221 of 22,946
I just did a quick swap on one side and went filterless and wow... dem burned! 

Coulda have just been me but it felt too forward and with that being the case it murdered the soundstage. I guess the sound sort of cooks inside the filters some to balance out all the details so they come at you more smoothly.

May 17, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #11,222 of 22,946
I think a lot has to do with what you listen to, what sort of files they are encoded in, your source unit, any eq, etc.  It certainly doesn't seem to be for everyone.

May 17, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #11,223 of 22,946
Exactly. I'm using my Samsung S4 with Viper4android and love it. For keeping it light and easy I use that most of the time. I have headphones for home/desk use.

My source is Tidal and I love it. Hate the software but love the quality. Can tell the difference even in my S4. Have a 64gb card that I keep close to full with nothing but music. It's fun trying to record a video tho Hah.

May 18, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #11,224 of 22,946
Exactly. I'm using my Samsung S4 with Viper4android and love it. For keeping it light and easy I use that most of the time. I have headphones for home/desk use.

My source is Tidal and I love it. Hate the software but love the quality. Can tell the difference even in my S4. Have a 64gb card that I keep close to full with nothing but music. It's fun trying to record a video tho Hah.

I switched from Spotify to Tidal recently and the software itself is not as good as Spotify. Loading lists and navigation is a lot slower IMHO. But, the soundquality is amazing. When I realized that Tidal could offer allmost all my favorite tracks (except 3 out of 28hours list) I switched. I am more then happy to pay the difference. I am using tidal on my iPhone 6 128gb withe the option of offlineplaylists (while travelling) and also as desktop service at work and in my main system at home.

May 18, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #11,225 of 22,946
I've often said that there's a bit of air missing in these bad-boys. I think I found a fix for that which I'm pleased with. I took the filter part out of the 'filter', as well as the foam if you choose to experiment with a filter that does have foam. The result: less harsh than with no filter at all. Everything sound crispy and clean, but that does mean more treble.. but it feels like a veil has been lifted!

May 18, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #11,226 of 22,946
I've often said that there's a bit of air missing in these bad-boys. I think I found a fix for that which I'm pleased with. I took the filter part out of the 'filter', as well as the foam if you choose to experiment with a filter that does have foam. The result: less harsh than with no filter at all. Everything sound crispy and clean, but that does mean more treble.. but it feels like a veil has been lifted!

So you mean now you're using the filter like a hallow tube? Ummm, wouldn't that be exactly like full throttle?

May 18, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #11,227 of 22,946
So you mean now you're using the filter like a hallow tube? Ummm, wouldn't that be exactly like full throttle?

The black and blue have two layers of filtering. One is a foam that we remove and another is a layer of material that looks like a wax type material. It seems to be different consistency on each filter color.

Also having it pass thru a filter without any filtration at all would still cook up the sound somewhat because plastic will shape the sound differently than metal in the nossle. Think of how different tips can change the sound somewhat.

May 18, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #11,228 of 22,946
finally i found here in israel the filters, so I bought 2 new ones the black and blue, to keep them just in case something happens to my old ones

also this will give more courage to keep modding and playing with the old blue and black filters.

but i paid 30 usd for each, dam they are expensive

May 18, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #11,229 of 22,946
now since i am back in love with my shure 846, now I will really appreciate a true answer, is there a cable that makes a night and day difference with shure 846, and by night and day difference I truly mean a difference you can truly hear immediately 

if so which one thats adds more warmth, and gives better bass and better soundstage and imaging, I highly doubt that a cable can make a difference but i might be mistaken, I do not want a cable that gives minute changes that u barely can hear, a true change and improvement

I highly doubt it, and if not by all means I am happy with the sound as is, but if there is something to improve further by all means please recommend it

May 18, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #11,230 of 22,946
  now since i am back in love with my shure 846, now I will really appreciate a true answer, is there a cable that makes a night and day difference with shure 846, and by night and day difference I truly mean a difference you can truly hear immediately 

if so which one thats adds more warmth, and gives better bass and better soundstage and imaging, I highly doubt that a cable can make a difference but i might be mistaken, I do not want a cable that gives minute changes that u barely can hear, a true change and improvement

I highly doubt it, and if not by all means I am happy with the sound as is, but if there is something to improve further by all means please recommend it

I would also like to try a different cable at some point, but only when the difference is really noticeable like hykhleif points out. 
Does anyone here has a nice overview of different cables that you can use with the Shure's? Would be appriciated!

May 18, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #11,231 of 22,946
I would also like to try a different cable at some point, but only when the difference is really noticeable like hykhleif points out. 
Does anyone here has a nice overview of different cables that you can use with the Shure's? Would be appriciated!
[/quote

There is always some improvement of SQ for cable upgrade. But it will subject to diminishing return. Líke you buy a sports car.it will only install a lowest rank of tires to minimize cost and maximize profit. You need to upgrade your tires to get the most out of your car.

I used an upgraded copper balanced cable and never look back to the stock cable.

May 18, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #11,232 of 22,946
My Moon Audio cables make an appreciable difference, but what that means to me vs. what it means to you is unknown.  No one can answer your question because only you can.  If you are willing to spend a couple hundred bucks to find out, then you will have an answer.  I can only say that I bought a Ted's cable for my TF10 and it made a big difference and I bought the Moon for my 846 and same.  That's the joy and sorry of this sport- gotta try and see, no one can really tell you what you are going to like or not.  They can infer, but that's a different matter entirely.
smile.gif

May 18, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #11,233 of 22,946

A good cable that you can hear an instant difference between the stock is the FiiO cable for around $30. It bumps up the top end sparkle and makes the overall presentation a bit cleaner sounding. Downside is it's pretty microphonic unless you choke up on the neck and I hate the really fat plug. I may recable mine to a slim 90 degree tip. Also it doesn't seem to have a bank vault seal on the earphones as much as the stock or Westone plugs do. For $25 to $30 it's a good deal even still. 

May 18, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #11,234 of 22,946
  My Moon Audio cables make an appreciable difference, but what that means to me vs. what it means to you is unknown.  No one can answer your question because only you can.  If you are willing to spend a couple hundred bucks to find out, then you will have an answer.  I can only say that I bought a Ted's cable for my TF10 and it made a big difference and I bought the Moon for my 846 and same.  That's the joy and sorry of this sport- gotta try and see, no one can really tell you what you are going to like or not.  They can infer, but that's a different matter entirely.
smile.gif

I'm not saying cables don't make a difference but I will say that the point of diminishing return is at a much higher rate on cables than it is on headphones/IEMs. 

A $100 (material cost) cable will get you 99% of the quality of a $1,000 cable. Sad thing is people charge $1,000 for their $100 in materials cable. 

May 18, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #11,235 of 22,946

A good cable that you can hear an instant difference between the stock is the FiiO cable for around $30. It bumps up the top end sparkle and makes the overall presentation a bit cleaner sounding. Downside is it's pretty microphonic unless you choke up on the neck and I hate the really fat plug. I may recable mine to a slim 90 degree tip. Also it doesn't seem to have a bank vault seal on the earphones as much as the stock or Westone plugs do. For $25 to $30 it's a good deal even still. 

which fiio cable is that as i did not find any that is for shure 846

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back